Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyody try the Tech 21 Power Engine 60?

scott93105

Has anybody tried the Tech 21 Power Engine 60?  OMG - I've been wanting someone to come out with something like this for years!  And it's made in the USA for $400.  I've specifically searched for such a thing but never found this until now.  I want one!  Are there other powered cabinets like this on the market?  This seems like the solution I've been looking for to take the POD live.  I like that it looks and transports like a standard combo amp.  The sound seems great in the videos with all sorts of devices.  What ya think?

I always wondered why Line6 never made something like this...  I suppose plugging into the power amp (aux in) of a Spider 3 or later is about the same thing, huh?  Upon further consideration, I suppose the DT combo is this same idea taken to the next level with real time 'power shaping' (yeah, I made that term up).  I just like the simplicity of this Power Engine and wondered how it sounds in real life with an HD500X and the Amplifi FX-100 (I know, wrong spot to post Amplifi).

Has anybody tried the Tech 21 Power Engine 60?  OMG - I've been wanting someone to come out with something like this for years!  And it's made in the USA for $400.  I've specifically searched for such a thing but never found this until now.  I want one!  Are there other powered cabinets like this on the market?  This seems like the solution I've been looking for to take the POD live.  I like that it looks and transports like a standard combo amp.  The sound seems great in the videos with all sorts of devices.  What ya think?

I always wondered why Line6 never made something like this...  I suppose plugging into the power amp (aux in) of a Spider 3 or later is about the same thing, huh?  Upon further consideration, I suppose the DT combo is this same idea taken to the next level with real time 'power shaping' (yeah, I made that term up).  I just like the simplicity of this Power Engine and wondered how it sounds in real life with an HD500X and the Amplifi FX-100 (I know, wrong spot to post Amplifi).

I've used them before with the POD HD 500 a few years ago . . I had 2 of them and I bought both of them off E bay. They come with different types of speakers, one is FRFR and the other is not. I was not overly impressed with them and got rid of them both eventually. I recently bought a pair of Yamaha DBR 10s and so far I'm quite happy with them. They are not much more than the Tech 21 Power 60s and have, to my ears anyways, way better response. If you can try out different speakers, or whatever before you buy  if you can. Also consider what it is you want to do with them ( gig, play at home , jam with  friends or something more serious.)

cheers and good luck

I have one (two actually) and I love them. They are extremely clean and transparent, they have an active EQ (which you'll generally leave at noon or slightly bump the mids) and they can be daisy chained for an awesome stereo cabinet effect. My biggest suggestion is to go to home depot and buy some brackets and a piece of plywood (or pine or whatever) and make it a closed back (thats what I did). It totally increases the tightness of the sound as they are an open back cab so depending on the style of music you play some of the sound might be going out the back instead of directed at you. I have one that i made closed back for all of 20 bucks and the other I leave open backed, they sound killer when chained and they're loud enough to play a small to medium sized gig no problem.

They sound great with the POD HD (I also used mine with a Digitech RP1000) and now that there's an EQ section on the POD it would probably be easier to dial in live tones as the active EQ is EXTREMELY sensitive, small tweaks go a LONG way. I would say if you can afford it, go for it, its the cheapest flat response cab ive found.