Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dated Sound with effects pedals

stevevnicks

I was thinking about old vintage valve amps from the sixties and the type of effects they used back then, which as far as I can make out the old purist's will pay a lot of money for, anyway this may sound stupid to some but I cant help but wonder, as everything seems to be going digital these days.

if say in 30 years time people will saying and discussing in forums, how to get the same sound as an old Line 6 Pod HD500X or similar lol

Interesting thoughts, Probably so.....the Soldano preamp in the Pod bean 2.0 is still one of my favorites and my old Vetta combo can get tones no other Line 6 device can come close to....a Hendrix patch and an SRV patch come to mind.....I haven't been able to come close to those on the HD's.

I can kind of see this happening, as the tech moves forward at an ever faster rate, just for example, the tech may have moved so far forward that it was classed obsolete hardware tech that's not manufactured anymore.

so can only emulate it, unless you have the tech from that time kind of thing.

leaving the question could old digital pedals come back into fashion.

what we may class as obsolete hardware now might end up being the must have of the future ..

I don't see my Pod being a collector's piece in 30 years... other than it being "pre-Yamaha". 

And the reason for that is computer connectivity. You won't be able to do anything with it unless you also have a 30 year old computer. 

However, I see my Rocktron Pro G.A.P. and ART SGE Mach II (with X-15), which are already 25 years old as having more interest to people. They are stand alone devices. No computer needed. And face it, they are kick-lollipop units. 

In fact, in many ways, I would still prefer to be using those than my Pod. 

You can't account for taste. Back in the '80s I ditched my old MXR Dist+ and Dynacomp for a Dbx 160x rack compressor and real Mesa Boogie Mk 3 distortion and I was in heaven after those crap pedals. Then one day I put the pedals up on eBay and got over $100 each for them, from guys who were really excited to get vintage units. I was about to throw them away!

Then I bought a HD and there's the old Dynacomp among the compressors. Admittedly, it's not as bad as the dist+, but still, there are dozens of better compressors out there from which to choose.

• Upvote 1

I don't believe what we have now will be worth anything in 30 years.  How many of you still have a TRS-80 or Commodore 64 computer ?

But I did have an old analogue drum machine that I was throwing away and as an experiment, I pulled it back out of the trash can and put it on Craig's List.  Sold it the next day for $250 bucks.  Still can't believe it...

I don't believe what we have now will be worth anything in 30 years.  How many of you still have a TRS-80 or Commodore 64 computer ?

But I did have an old analogue drum machine that I was throwing away and as an experiment, I pulled it back out of the trash can and put it on Craig's List.  Sold it the next day for $250 bucks.  Still can't believe it...

Analog drum machines are collector's items. Moby, one of the earlier electronica/EDM artists has a has huge collection of them, for example. http://therumpus.net/2011/04/swinging-modern-sounds-29-the-museum-of-broken-things/

I realize that this is a gear forum so of course that is going to be the topic at hand. But I have never been one to wax poetic about a 1967 piece of gear. If you suck, it ain't gonna matter how old or how contemporary your gear is. You will suck no matter what you play through or with.

Aside from this being a gear focused forum and we have fun talking about gear...a lot of energy is spent crediting it for masking us sound brilliant and blaming it for making us suck.

For me, the day my gear keeps me away from sounding like me is the day I will move on. I don't see that happening anytime too soon.

As for that 1967 whatever, is it really that f'ing amazing or have we just drank the Kool-Aid? I've owned and played those "classics" and aside from them smelling good when the tubes heat up and burn off the dust, my stuff sounds better! Primarily because it is me that is playing it! (I have never been a fan of false modesty. I'm a really good guitarist as are many on this forum)

Remember, just because someone is willing to part with $$$$$ for that 1967 whatever is not a determination of value or quality for that matter. Nostalgia costs because that is what we are taught.

I don't care what people think about my gear today and much less 30 years from now 'cause the proof is in what you hear. Have doubts? Let's take it to the stage! Be warned, you might get your feelings hurt!

• Upvote 1