Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Yellow Jackets

ericleary5433

I have a MK?, the one with built in pre-amp tubes. I'm wondering if anyone has used the yellow jackets http://www.yellowjacketstc.com/ in their amps. I love this amp,especially after changing the power tubes to Ruby's. My issue though is..

1. Could be a little warmer

2. God this amp is @#$%ing loud!!!!

Turning this amp into a class a would definitely warm it up, I think. I've read about putting a line attenuator (volume pot) in the pre-amp stage, but don't think it would solve problem 1, 'warmth'

Would love to hear any and all experiences with this product

My ears are bleeding, most of my volume presets are around 15, so I can turn the master up a bit!!!

Thanks

I have considered doing that with my MK1 or MK2.... but I use them as power amps these days and they do that job pretty well with an HD POD or my old ADA rack rig...

I have never tried the yellow jackets in my own amps, but I did try GT Power Reducers that are basically the same thing in my brother's old 60 watt Ampeg...Basically, the power amp is almost the same as an SV 112 or 212 combo....a pair of 6L6s....Anyways, the change is pretty dramatic and I was very impressed. The mod saved him from going after a Victoria...

• 3 weeks later...

I can only speak on #2 (Loud). I finally ended up putting an old Alesis Nano Compressor in the Preamp Out/Power Amp In jacks. I turn off all it's compression and just use it's Level knob to tame the amount of volume hitting the Master. You could probably use a similar EQ pedal with level slider. Now I get way more range with the Master Volume control while keeping the same tone.

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and picked up a Volume Box on ebay that goes in between the pre outs and must say it did the trick. What a difference to open up the volume and master, really have a sense of what this amp can do now. Thanks for the tips!!!!!

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...