Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone from HD500 changes after long time turned on

avledoliveira

I have a HD500 and have been observing an issue that occurs pretty frequently: If I leave the unit on for a longer time (above 1 hour, but times vary), the tone I hear changes, without having changed any of the settings in the patches. It gets more trebly and harsh, almost like changing from studio direct to combo amp, but more subtle. I had been noticing this using with my headphones (Audio Technica M50) and thought maybe the headphones were to blame, but noticed the same effect happening connected to my DT50 (with L6link) a few times.

Any Idea what might be happening? anybody else ever had that problem?

I have a HD500 and have been observing an issue that occurs pretty frequently: If I leave the unit on for a longer time (above 1 hour, but times vary), the tone I hear changes, without having changed any of the settings in the patches. It gets more trebly and harsh, almost like changing from studio direct to combo amp, but more subtle. I had been noticing this using with my headphones (Audio Technica M50) and thought maybe the headphones were to blame, but noticed the same effect happening connected to my DT50 (with L6link) a few times.

Any Idea what might be happening? anybody else ever had that problem?

While anything is possible, if you're playing for extended periods of time, particularly through headphones, what you're experiencing is most likely ear fatigue. You will perceive a difference, where none actually exists. Well known and well documented phenomenon. It's rather unlikely that the sounds being produced is changing at all.

Similar thing happens to me, where a patch will seemingly lose some distortion at times. Although this only started happening since the 2.60 update and the unit doesn't have to be on for a while. Sometimes I turn the pod on and the patch seems suppressed somehow. Other times it seems like how I wanted it to originally be.

Could be lots of things, anything from the strings, air pressure, temperature, mood, ears, disease, famine, etc., so I'm not going to automatically assume it's the pod.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply guys. I had been thinking it could be ear fatigue or something like that as was suggested, and thats why I hadn't posted anything before. But I have noticed the same thing with the HD500 connected to the DT50 (no headphones here), and it wasn't even playing so long, since I left it on standby for most of the time.

Thats why I'm suspecting the POD, and not even the headphones or DT50.

You could test this by making a recording using your phone or something similar when you first turn it on, and then later when you think the tone has changed, make another recording with the same device from the same spot. Later, when your ears have had time to rest, listen to both recordings one right after the other. This should tell you if there really is a difference or if it's just perceived.

Load an app that measures SPL peak and RMS onto your phone, pad, or computer. Should show any differences as they creep in w/o the subjective 'us' listening and believeing to hear something. Does not need to be a fancy app or be calibrated. You are only looking for change.

I had a similar issue a year or so back when I had my HD500 connected via L6 link to my DT25 but it happened immediately rather than after a certain period of time. I noticed that when I selected a patch it seemed more trebly and harsh (almost as if a LO CUT or a HIGH PASS filter of about 110K has been applied)  but if I pressed the same patch fs again to reload the patch then I would suddenly get the warmer bottom end re-introduced into the tone.  It was only subtle but it was a definite difference and the second click of the patch fs did always seem to fix it.  I never got to the bottom of it because I then bought an L2m and started using that with my HD500.

It will be interesting to see if your issue is just ear fatigue or if the unit is mysteriously changing tone after it has been left on for a while.

It will also be interesting to find out whether or not the tone resets itself if you reload the current patch by pressing the fs again - or whether the tone change is persistent until you switch the HD off and on again.

Edited by edstar1960

@edstar1960 I've had the same issue you described, but going direct to a powered monitor. This has just started since updating to the newest firmware, and is one of several problems I'm starting to notice.

That's very interesting.  And does it resolve itself if you just press the patch fs again to reload the same patch?

May well be worth raising a ticket with Line 6 support to report it to them - perhaps there is a subtle bug that is somehow dropping or applying an unknown EQ - certainly quite a few people have noticed odd things with the new GLOBAL EQ where it doesn't always seem to operate.

I will have to do some testing with my unit again - I am still on the older firmware as I have the HD500 - but maybe it's still happening and I just haven't really noticed it as much.

That's very interesting.  And does it resolve itself if you just press the patch fs again to reload the same patch?

Yes, reselecting the preset fixes it. I'm going to backup all of my patches and restore the firmware tonight.

If it's still messed up when I restore my patches, I'll have to recreate them on the POD.

Fingers-crossed.

Hi,

one possible explanation could be, that the position of the physical amp knobs (Drive, Bass, Treble etc.) are at a different position than what is programmed into the patch. If for some reason the pod thinks that you have moved one of the knobs, the amp setting in the current patch jumps to the value of the physical knob. This can even be triggered by vibrations. I think this is referred to as "knob jitter".

You can avoid it by turning all knobs to zero and then reloading the patch. It seem that this problem does not happen in the zero position (at least it hasn't for me).

In order to verify if this is the problem, you can call up the amp settings screen (select the amp block and double press ENTER) in the POD and look if one setting differs from the original position which is marked with a dot.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

one possible explanation could be, that the position of the physical amp knobs (Drive, Bass, Treble etc.) are at a different position than what is programmed into the patch. If for some reason the pod thinks that you have moved one of the knobs, the amp setting in the current patch jumps to the value of the physical knob. This can even be triggered by vibrations. I think this is referred to as "knob jitter".

You can avoid it by turning all knobs to zero and then reloading the patch. It seem that this problem does not happen in the zero position (at least it hasn't for me).

In order to verify if this is the problem, you can call up the amp settings screen (select the amp block and double press ENTER) in the POD and look if one setting differs from the original position which is marked with a dot.

Good suggestion.  However, in my case, I always have my HD500 knobs set to zero. I only ever move them when I am programming in a patch - when I am just playing stuff back I always have them at zero.  And besides, if it was the knob position causing the variation in tone, then pressing the fs again to reload the patch won't make any difference UNTIL you move the knob back to zero.   In my case and for gloc0005, we can reset the trebly/harsher sound by simply pressing the same patch fs again - we don't have to move the knobs on the unit to reset the sound.  Thanks for chiming in though.   :)

As long as you are not connected with HD Edit you can recognize any recent parameter change by the asterix on the left upper corner, directly underneath the patch number. (HD Edit will provocate an asterix just by sync).

I was suggesting to turn the knobs to zero because there the problem seems less likely to happen. Reloading the patch would (temporarily) fix the issue even without turning the knobs.

Thanks for your input. I understand about knob jitter but I don't think it applies in my case for these reasons:

- I always have knobs set to zero

- if a knob was slightly off zero and that was detected when I pressed the FS for the patch then any change to the tone would reflect the settings on the knobs which would all be near zero, so that would not create a harsh trebly sound but should create an almost silent patch, unless it only detected a change on the treble knob, in which case it would drastically reduce the treble as the knob would be near zero. Also a second press of the FS would just detect the same slightly off zero knob and would not reset the sound to normal.

I don't understand why a second press of the FS would reset an incorrectly detected knob movement. Surely it would just detect the movement again?

- knob movement detection also results in the amp control screen being temporarily displayed and that never happens when I have encountered this problem

Thanks for the suggestion though as it may explain odd tone changes for some people.

Every digital guitar processor I have ever used does some strange things from time to time. Almost like the entire data from the patch doesn't quite load when called up. My Digitech stuff did it.My Roland GR55 would randomly increase the wetness of reverbs on certain patches lol! and a few other odd things. My HD500 is pretty solid though.I have noticed it doing the soft level thing in a patch but when changed it goes back to normal and doesn't do it again for a long time.Power fluctuations dips spikes etc...can all contribute to this.