Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replicating Dimarzio PUs in WB

I'm interested in settings that will help me replicating the following Dimarzio PUs in WB:

AT-1

Air Zone

Cruiser (neck)

Fast Track 1

Chopper

Thanks!

Floyd

When trying to replicate a tone, the best thing to do is record a dry signal of the guitar you want. Play all the strings, chords, leads.

After you do that, run Variax dry as well and mess around in workbench. Swap bodies and pickups, whichever sounds the closest, then move the pickups around. Adjust pot resistance values if you need to fine shape it more.

It's how I got a tone based on my SG, and a tone based on a Jaguar.

• Upvote 1

When trying to replicate a tone, the best thing to do is record a dry signal of the guitar you want. Play all the strings, chords, leads.

After you do that, run Variax dry as well and mess around in workbench. Swap bodies and pickups, whichever sounds the closest, then move the pickups around. Adjust pot resistance values if you need to fine shape it more.

It's how I got a tone based on my SG, and a tone based on a Jaguar.

can u post them SG+jag tones pls?

• Upvote 1

FWIW

http://line6.com/support/topic/2163-share-and-download-20-h-d-models/

Just for the OP, my strat on WB is with dimarzio red velvet on middle, blue on bridge, and FS1 on neck, if you are interested.

Find Arislaf's JTV Workbench patches here:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=138.0

1428427336_2026711397_JTV_Patch.PNG

• Upvote 2

can u post them SG+jag tones pls?

I would but I'm still working on it. It's just loosely based on old presets I had in the old Variax. The SG didn't even sound right because they got rid of the Les Paul jr body, so I had to redo it, and it's just the 89 settings with the pickups backed towards the bridge a bit.

I still need to adjust the Jaguar settings. It sounds ok but I never did an A/B test to make sure it was accurate again.

• 3 weeks later...

Just stick some real Dimarzios in instead :) - I did this last weekend in my JVT-59 replacing the original "Bones" pickups that seemed to sound identical with a Dimarzio DP100 in the bridge and a Dimarzio Liquify in the neck. 

Process is quite easy - just needed to unsolder the old PUPS from the circuit board under the toggle switch and solder in the new ones. 

Oh and at the same time I installed a Roland GK-3 built in kit just for good measure and now having fun with the Boss GP-10 as well. 

post-513914-0-32174400-1430097623_thumb.jpg

Nice!  

I replaced the factory mag pick ups with Dimarzios - got an F spaced AT-1 in the bridge, a Cruiser in the middle, and a Fast Track in the neck.

Just wish I had the smarts to replicate those pick ups in WB.   Arislaf's JTV patches are pretty awesome!

• Upvote 1

Nice!  

I replaced the factory mag pick ups with Dimarzios - got an F spaced AT-1 in the bridge, a Cruiser in the middle, and a Fast Track in the neck.

Just wish I had the smarts to replicate those pick ups in WB.   Arislaf's JTV patches are pretty awesome!

It's just a lot of swapping and trial and error. Think of the tone you want, and think of what combinations would sound most like those.

It's how I did my patches. When I thought about what the old Jaguar patches were missing, I thought it needed more bottom end while having the highs pronounced, so I swapped a Les Paul body, and it worked great.

Nice!  

Thanks, I am happy that you enjoyed them! I also wish I could have your guitar to recreate them on workbench and share to the people. My advice for WB. It might be different bodies for find the correct sound of pickups e.g tele on the fast track, gibson on cruiser and danelectro on AT1. If you are interested you can make a sound sample with the pickups as clayman did, pickup by pickup and I can try to recreate them! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I am happy that you enjoyed them! I also wish I could have your guitar to recreate them on workbench and share to the people. My advice for WB. It might be different bodies for find the correct sound of pickups e.g tele on the fast track, gibson on cruiser and danelectro on AT1. If you are interested you can make a sound sample with the pickups as clayman did, pickup by pickup and I can try to recreate them! 

Hi Arislaf,

I'd be happy to record some samples!  What kind of samples would be most helpful?  Clean un-effected tone?  Single notes or chords?

Have a good day!

Hi Arislaf,

I'd be happy to record some samples!  What kind of samples would be most helpful?  Clean un-effected tone?  Single notes or chords?

Have a good day!

Single notes from E to e, and after a strum of all of them Just leave some time from string hit to next string hit . No amp, no effects, just full volume and tone knob. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...