Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD X3 Live into PA (Tips on Mixing?)

zJFz

If you can run it into a Stereo channel or two channels run hard left and hard right, and the PA is Stereo, you can have some fun with the Stereo field. If not then run it into a channel, set the eq on the channel flat.  Adjust the channel gain to appropiate, remember you the Master on the X3 can lower the input signal if needed. 

• Upvote 1

If you can run it into a Stereo channel or two channels run hard left and hard right, and the PA is Stereo, you can have some fun with the Stereo field. If not then run it into a channel, set the eq on the channel flat.  Adjust the channel gain to appropiate, remember you the Master on the X3 can lower the input signal if needed. 

Could you go more in-depth about running into a stereo channel? What are the differences between running stereo and running mono (the usual way im assuming)?

On the POD units some effects can be stereo effects.  So they might should a bit bigger ran in stereo. On the back of the POD you can output you have left and right output. If you use just the Left output then the POD will sum all the effects to Mono channel. Which works quite well and is fine.  But IF you PA is setup Stereo, many I've seen are not, which I think is shame becuase it takes away possiblities for the artist.  People running sound like to run mono becuase well it's a lot easier and it still sound good, IMO not as good as it could, but mono does sound fine.  So if you KNOW you going into a PA that is setup Stereo you can run the left and right output from the POD to yoru board.  Then at the mixing board you typcially have two options, many boards have a couple of Stereo channels for effects and the like, you can hook the left and right from the POD on of those.  Second option is to hook each left and right from the pod to normal mono channel strip. Then set the channel strip to match, so the right POD feed on the mixing board you pan hard right, left POD is panned hard left.  

No if you don't really care about the Stereo field so much, then just run the LEFT out of the POD to the mixing console into a normal channel strip. Set gain to approiate level so it's doesn't overshoot 0db, perferably a bit less like -6 db, just like you would a mic. Set EQ flat probalby best to let the POD EQ do there job. Only exception would be you could us the EQ on the board as sort of Global, so say you think all you patches in the particular venue sound a bit boomy then on the mixing console you might cut the bass just a touch. But I would only use the EQ on when necassary.

Think about the most noticeable of the Stereo effects would be a ping-pong delay, where you have the delay bounce from the left field then right, then left , etc... until if fade out.  So if you sum that to mono, it still works to give you intersting delay but you don't really have the ping-pong going on, just some intresting repeats. Can be a suble or pronouced as you like with Stereo field setup.

If you plugging into a say a house system, then I honestly would just give the a left output and not worry about it. Too much information I would need to know and have a lot of confience in there sound crews ability. Most dives I play in either don't have a PA or the house PA system are not really good and not ran the most trained people. 

• Upvote 1

On the POD units some effects can be stereo effects.  So they might should a bit bigger ran in stereo. On the back of the POD you can output you have left and right output. If you use just the Left output then the POD will sum all the effects to Mono channel. Which works quite well and is fine.  But IF you PA is setup Stereo, many I've seen are not, which I think is shame becuase it takes away possiblities for the artist.  People running sound like to run mono becuase well it's a lot easier and it still sound good, IMO not as good as it could, but mono does sound fine.  So if you KNOW you going into a PA that is setup Stereo you can run the left and right output from the POD to yoru board.  Then at the mixing board you typcially have two options, many boards have a couple of Stereo channels for effects and the like, you can hook the left and right from the POD on of those.  Second option is to hook each left and right from the pod to normal mono channel strip. Then set the channel strip to match, so the right POD feed on the mixing board you pan hard right, left POD is panned hard left.  

No if you don't really care about the Stereo field so much, then just run the LEFT out of the POD to the mixing console into a normal channel strip. Set gain to approiate level so it's doesn't overshoot 0db, perferably a bit less like -6 db, just like you would a mic. Set EQ flat probalby best to let the POD EQ do there job. Only exception would be you could us the EQ on the board as sort of Global, so say you think all you patches in the particular venue sound a bit boomy then on the mixing console you might cut the bass just a touch. But I would only use the EQ on when necassary.

Think about the most noticeable of the Stereo effects would be a ping-pong delay, where you have the delay bounce from the left field then right, then left , etc... until if fade out.  So if you sum that to mono, it still works to give you intersting delay but you don't really have the ping-pong going on, just some intresting repeats. Can be a suble or pronouced as you like with Stereo field setup.

If you plugging into a say a house system, then I honestly would just give the a left output and not worry about it. Too much information I would need to know and have a lot of confience in there sound crews ability. Most dives I play in either don't have a PA or the house PA system are not really good and not ran the most trained people. 

Great info. You mention running Left out of the Pod into the mix console; is there a significant difference when running Left opposed to Right?

If you running Mono the LEFT on sums to mono on either the XLR and 1/4' out on the X3 (FYI for future reference or anyone reading this later, the HD series only sums on the 1/4 LEFT out).  Only use the RIGHT if you using both.

If you running Mono the LEFT on sums to mono on either the XLR and 1/4' out on the X3 (FYI for future reference or anyone reading this later, the HD series only sums on the 1/4 LEFT out).  Only use the RIGHT if you using both.

Say Im running an XLR to the mixer, and a 1/4" jack to an amplifier; would it be reasonable to run the XLR from the Left of the X3 direct out, and run the 1/4" from the Right of the Live out?

I would run the 1/4 Left out to the amp and the XLR left to to the mixer. I think you can use both at once on the X3, althought you might need to test that out to make sure.  Of course you can still just mic the Amp old school style too.

• 2 months later...

if you use both the xlr out to the PA and the 1/4 out to a amp BE CAREFUL!!  the x3live has a preamp in it that can be too much for some amplifiers.  I use my x3live at church run outta the left xlr at full master volume and it sounds great.  when it tried this along with a 1/4 out to amp the amp really couldn't take well. 

• 11 months later...

Hey all,

I'm a long time user of my X3 Live and still love it,no problems.

Recently toying with in ears for playing live.

I recently experimented to run my X3 Live with this setup below.

X3-DIRECT OUT  L/R to main Mixing desk panned Left and Right cos using dual tones.

X3-LIVE OUT L/R MONO using 1/4 inch from X3  to XLR on smaller mixing desk for in-ear monitoring.

Sounded great,but found I had clipping issues with very little gain on In-ear desk.

So today I just ran 1/4 mono cable from X3 to the smaller mixing desk and found it sounded better and I had just to boost the gain a little bit,but no clipping.

Has anyone used a setup like this with no issues?

Await some responses.

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the global EQ?

Only exception would be you could us the EQ on the board as sort of Global, so say you think all you patches in the particular venue sound a bit boomy then on the mixing console you might cut the bass just a touch.

He is talking about the EQ on the "mixing board". AFAIK X3s never had a "global" eq. So its a per patch job. You could try enabling the fx loop for all your patches and put in an external eq pedal. The loop placement is pretty basic in the X3L and its been a while since I used it so you will have to trial and error your way a bit. That all assumes you are going XLR out to FOH. I suppose you could just go 1/4" to EQ to a DI to FOH too.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

-B