Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noob question

thecrimsonrabbit

So, I've graduated from the XT Live to an HD500X. I'm running in the FS 5-8 mode. I set up a volume and wah, which is groovy, but have I lost 2 footswitches now? The vol and wah show in the first 2 slots, and I've routed them to the exp pedal (as is proper), but now I only show 6 open FX blocks. Is there a way to put 2 more fx blocks in there? Note: I am only using fx, no amps. If this has been covered, can you include a link to that?

Somebody on youtube suggested that too. I would need something ultra transparent so as not to affect my real amp's tone. I use a Carvin Legacy 3. It's an amazing amp, and I don't want anything affecting that.

Yeah, that only works when using the POD amp sims.  With 4CM and your Carvin, you are stuck losing the 2 blocks.  Probably best to put the volume pedal last in the chain though to ensure it doesn't flavor your tone through the Carvin preamp, just the overall signal going to the power amp.

Hi guys . If you put a spare expression pedal thru the fx loop could that work? Not sure have not tried it myself yet.

That might give you one extra block.

Just a question, do you really need to use 8 effects at once?

You could build similar patches and run them side by side in a bank

And change presets to call up the needed effect(s)

Just another little tip from another newbie. I thought it would be best

To run the 500x in fs5-8 turned on as well. But then you have trouble calling up

Your other presets from the bank you are in.

So on sober second thought I run mine in preset mode.

I guess it all depends on your intended use.

It is gonna take you a bit of time to get this thing set up the way you want it.

Hang in there!

Oh, one more thing. You may want to try the amp gain EXP control with the Divide 9/15 Pre. According to my measurements (summarized here), it has flat frequency response and low THD. It seems to be reasonably transparent, although I have not tried it.

I use my HD500 into various amps- effect returns of my Fender BDRI and HRDLXiii/ Marshall JCM8000 and sometimes an EHX 44 Magnum power amp into a 1x12 cab.

I dont use the pre amp of my amps when I use it this way.

I set up 4 preamps on the bottom row of switches and 4 pedals to turn on and off effects within the patch on the upper row of switches.

Gives me stomp-box flexibility and also lets my amp sound like other amps when I need it. This works well for me as I don't like the extra time and cabling of the 4 cable method most of the time.

I found over time that I dont need to have 8 effects to turn on and off available.4 stomps(compressors/ drives and delays ) are all I really need to toggle on and off.

I have an M13 for stomp box type gigs I do.I velcro a compressor to it and use the 4 cable method when I use it utilizing the preamp section of whatever amp I am playing through.

After a month or two of use you will find a good working method for tour HD500 and your tube amp.

I am still very happy with mine and I play a huge variety of music with it in 5-6 bands.

My Boss GT-10 has been put away so long now I am not even sure where it is lol!

Good Luck and welcome to the forum lots of very cool and helpful people here!

• Upvote 1