Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD Vintage Pack -- liking it?

Indianrock2020

I'm just wondering if anyone is finding this worth the $49  Mainly interested in clean to slightly overdriven rhythm sounds for Worship music.

Look at it this way...you won't be able to buy that many different tone options from anywhere else for the price of a guitar strap and a few sets of strings. And if you don't like them, you have 30 days to get your money back.

I bought the vintage pack on Saturday and loved the new fawn Vox amp so much I used it Sunday for Easter services. Like the OP, I was looking for a light overdrive for worship. I think it's great. The Pete Anderson is promising too.

That said, I don't really care for the orange amp, and I'm not sure I understand the champ....it doesn't seem to do much of anything well.

the champ was a tiny 8" combo tube amp that fender put out in the 60's

it's very lo-fi and has its own character.

its kind of rude with the stock cab as they werent even high end speakers....

try it with some other cabs to get a low wattage tone that breaks up early.

probably not a big worship tone to be had out of it... but it's lots of fun.

I bought the vintage pack on Saturday and loved the new fawn Vox amp so much I used it Sunday for Easter services. Like the OP, I was looking for a light overdrive for worship. I think it's great. The Pete Anderson is promising too.
That said, I don't really care for the orange amp, and I'm not sure I understand the champ....it doesn't seem to do much of anything well.

If I remember right Clapton's Layla record was recorded using Fender tweed champ amps for the guitars. I think they got some good tones on that record.

-Max

Lol this Gibson and Page, on this post he said he used a Supro for the heartbraker, on this post a marshal... http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/10-Iconic-Guitar-Solos-on-Les-Paul-Guitars.aspx

Page, Gibbons and Van Halen say\said different things in different interviews about the same subject. Don't know if the problem is bad memory or the will to mislead to keep some mistery  :D  Probably a mix of both...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know $49 is not much, but I would have been happier if those were included in the firmware update.

Maybe it's just me, but I still feel the Pod HD was a downgrade in a way when compared to the Pod X3...

Everyone would have been happier if they were free...

To the OP.Yes. Great for P&W tunes. I just recently went from leading at a small church to being the electric player at a 3,000 seat mega church and the new models are great for that application.The Orange is a good model.You have to take the time with your guitar to tweak it and get the cab model right.

Does the orange go into high gain territory or is it intended mostly for clean tones? I'm looking for some stoner/sludge tones and the modern oranges are very popular.. not sure about the vintage though..any thoughts?

There's an Orange amp called 'Dark Terror' that is very cool...tiny thing, 7W or 14W (your choice...there's a toggle switch, and it's absurdly loud for that wattage). I've used it in the studio several times. You can get some really thick high gain tones. The one they modeled however seems more suited to Zeppelin-ish gain territory, although admittedly I haven't spent much time with it.

I just got it yesterday. So far I'm loving the Pete Anderson Custom!  The AC30 Fawns sound decent too :) .  I've never been a fan of Orange...but i'll try it out ;).  And i haven't tried the Jazz one.

I want it just for the Pete Anderson Custom. He's been using POD 2.0's live and in the studio for over 15yrs.

Does the orange go into high gain territory or is it intended mostly for clean tones? I'm looking for some stoner/sludge tones and the modern oranges are very popular.. not sure about the vintage though..any thoughts?

I have owned some old Oranges, and they are great for those in between sounds, very responsive to your volume knob and your touch. They love a pedal in front of them too.

How are you setting up the Pete Andersen?   I really liked the driven sound out of it the one time I tried it.  It would be nice to have it as a dirty 2nd amp in a cleaner patch, maybe with an AC30, then set the expression pedal to toggle between the amps.

• 7 months later...

As far as I'm concerned the vintage pack was the only one of the packs worth having.  I use the Roland quite a bit both with my Gretsch and with my Strat for bluesy BB King sounds and jazzier tones.  It has a super clean and super rich sound, but without the thinness of the Fender Twin.  The Vox is really the reason I got the pack however.  I match that up with a compressor and a bit of crunch and I can get a really convincing british crunch sound ala Pete Townsend or Keith Richards.  I haven't used the Champ yet, but I've used a champ model previously to get a Joe Walsh sound as that's what he used on a lot of his earlier tunes like "Funk 49".

If you're only into heavy overdriven metal sounds you might not find a lot of use for most of the these models, but if you're looking for some very recognizeable sounds with a wider range of music styles you'll be very happy with it.

I'm loving the basic ac30 within the pod500X, it's actually my main sound. Is the one in the pack really outrunning the other one already present?

yea i like the AC30 thats in the HD500 it's a grate sim, i sold my real AC30, it just ended up being an expensive ornament. to loud even on low vol for home use, well in a small flat it was :/

saying that i sold all my amps now because i have more or less sussed out how to use and get good sounds out of my HD500, so it's ideal and all i need at the moment that is, although i would like to upgrade to the helix oneday.

well i did keep one of my amps, that being the little Orange Crush 35RT, little analogue with some great features like Orange Cab Sim built into the head phone socket and an FX Loop Plus good Quality Digital Reverb, the amp in general has a grate orange sound even for being an analogue amp, what's not to like about it for the money! thats is why i kept it.

The AC30 Amp built in to the HD500\X sounds near as the real thing that i owned, and i have had a lot more use/fun out of the HD500 AC30 Sim than the Real AC30 i did own.

Old thread but good one. The Vintage Pack let me stop using all my remaining extra outboard stuff.

I do two voice guitar for worship and the acoustic amp combined with the vintage mike pre (that was already in there) combined make any piezo from an acoustic or even those electric piezos sound fantastic. Don't need my acoustic preamp anymore.

The Pete Anderson amp is awesome when you are using a lot of dense effects because it sounds good but doesn't use as much processor power as the others. I just discovered the Orange amp for Humbuckers. OMG clean and dirty both it is amazing!

And the Roland Jazz Chorus is surprisingly cool, too.

Ok , these are the amps I am currently either loving or getting some good tones with.

( I do tend to flip Amp models from time to time in terms of my favourites )

Clean/Edge of breakup/Light to Mid crunch

Vox AC30 ( TB and Non Top Boost models )

Fender Bassman ( usually the Normal channel )

Fender Deluxe ( usually the Vib channel )

Divided by 13

Mid crunch to Classic Rock Gain

Orange OR 80 ( HBs)

Park 75 ( SCs)

Dr Z ( both )

Marshall Plexi

Classic Heavy Rock

Marshall JCM 800 ( new version)

Soldano Crunch

Modern Heavy Rock/ Metal

Mesa Boogie

Engl

oops ....posted the above in the wrong thread ......should have been in the favourite amps/settings thread

obviously ( from the above ) you can see that my particular faves from the vintage pack are the Vox Fawn  & Orange models.

I haven't spent much time on the Fender Champ or Pete Anderson models as yet - though, as I really love Fender gear, I do intend to explore these more at some point.

TBH, the POD has been put to one side for the last month or so as I have been playing mostly through my THR 10

I just got it yesterday. So far I'm loving the Pete Anderson Custom!  The AC30 Fawns sound decent too :) .  I've never been a fan of Orange...but i'll try it out ;).  And i haven't tried the Jazz one.

That Orange guitar sounds killer.  One of my favorite tones and in fact find myself using it all the time!

• 7 months later...