Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pre Amps

videoman77

Those are the PreAmp only version of the HD model, they do not contain the power amp modelling. They are designed to work with the DT50/25 amps.  Although like anything else they are there to play with any other setup and can be used with other setups, althought I'm not sure they will produce desireable results with others.

You can use the preamp models to go into an existing power amp effects return and replacethe existing power amps preamp.

You can obviously also do this with the full amp models. It just needs to work for you. No hard rules ...

I made a lot of frequency response and THD measurements of full and pre models (summarized here) and basically they can be treated as any other modeled amp. In many cases they operate substantially differently than their full model counterparts. Don't dismiss the Pre models as something incomplete or somehow only half as good as a full model. They are very usable and give you a whole 'nother set of sounds to play with.

Thanks for the replies!  So if I was not going to run the pedal into an external cab and use the pod as the pre-amp (head) is there a good reason to use them? 

You will need a power amp to run the POD into a Cab, unless the cab is active(powered) speaker.  But yes as cruisinon2 said try and see.

Yes, that was the point of my reply. They are a whole 'nother set of sounds you have access to. Many behave quite a bit differently that their full model counterparts. Don't treat them like preamps. Treat them as another way of getting the tone you seek.