Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How does the Standard functions compare to the 59?

kennethkcarter

I'm looking at the 59 but I could live with the look of the Standard if the functions are there on the Standard.  But looking around I don't find a good comparison between the two. Anyone in the know able to tell what functions exist on one but not the other and visa versa?

Thanks,

Kip...

The modeling is the same and both have all the same functionality. The one practical difference is that the Standard has a 5-way pickup selector switch similar to the 69, instead of the 3-way switch on the 59. It changes the way you actually access all the models from the guitar itself.

What Phil said! Took me a while to get used to the 59 switch.

On the 59, you have a three way switch, with the push button alt tuning alternating the three way switch selection. As two sets of three make 6, and there are only 5 total, the center position is usually a duplicate.

There are the physical differences to consider besides the switch & knobs differences. The 59 has a mahogany set neck and mahogany body with maple cap like LP's, and 2 humbucker PU's rather than 3 single-coil PU's -- The new Standard will more strat-ish, by far. Mag PU levels will probably be quite a bit lower than the 59, the bolt-on neck will be maple, the body will be ash or alder, double cut-away body rather than the 59 single-cut. The most direct JTV comparison is actually the 69S. The difference in layout there is they moved the alt tuning "top-hat" selector switch above the PU's down with the rest of the controls for 4 knobs below the PU's.

Dave