Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Aren"t the new Model Pack tones already "in there" if you chose the right settings?

ahrens

Kinda weird. Someone who joined 2007 and has never made a post. Obviously we needed just the right topic to rattle his cage. ;)

I was thinking tones were just topologies,eq's, cabs,ect...blah blah...and that the new models were just renamed variations of what was there.

I have the hd500 and will be considering the metal pack when available. I love My XTLives metal tones (Cornford, Big Botttom, ect).

I got the email from Line6 about the 2.6 update and packs and started wondering if it was necessary if the tones could already be achieved.

Just curious really and maybe cheap...

I have no clue what up and down voting is and will never care.  I rarely come here.  This a classic example of why.  Forum have hostility I avoid...

It wasn't me this time, but I have in the past accidentally up or worse down voted people simply because I was scrolling with my right hand on a touch screen and as my finger touched the screen it was recognised as a vote - and there is no way to undo it

It wasn't me this time, but I have in the past accidentally up or worse down voted people simply because I was scrolling with my right hand on a touch screen and as my finger touched the screen it was recognised as a vote - and there is no way to undo it

3 Hail Mary's and it's all good... ;)

Which is why I have learned to not use touch screens for certain things, or to check activity logs on the pc after using a touch screen for certain things. 

Hell, 10 years ago, I used to have the 'tap to click' feature turned off on my laptop because my cell phone would cause it to click. 

Kinda weird. Someone who joined 2007 and has never made a post. Obviously we needed just the right topic to rattle his cage. ;)

Actually looks like he has 38 posts, there are some from back in 2013, and who knows how many from the old forum.

I think it is an honest question if you are not well versed with amp modeling, not sure why all the negative votes. :huh:

Actually looks like he has 38 posts, there are some from back in 2013, and who knows how many from the old forum.

I think it is an honest question if you are not well versed with amp modeling, not sure why all the negative votes. :huh:

Because it is easier for some people to buy a 5150 than to dial in tones on a Marshall - even when you consider that Eddie Van Halen used Marshalls for all of those years and didn't 'invent' the 5150 until someone offered him a boatload of cash to put his logo on it. 

Common sense always gets down voted by those who have none. 

I think the OP and some others are confused. I was referring to the user (ernz, no post since joining in 2007) who up-voted the OP (ahrens). I was not referring to the OP (ahrens) at all. My post refers to "Who up-voted the OP?" which I quoted in my post for clarity. Obviously didn't work. :unsure:

Anyway, if the OP finds this place hostile I dread to think what he'd think of other forums I hang out on like Gearslutz. :D

I think the OP and some others are confused. I was referring to the user (ernz, no post since joining in 2007) who up-voted the OP (ahrens). I was not referring to the OP (ahrens) at all. My post refers to "Who up-voted the OP?" which I quoted in my post for clarity. Obviously didn't work. :unsure:

Anyway, if the OP finds this place hostile I dread to think what he'd think of other forums I hang out on like Gearslutz. :D

I see!!

I agree, these forums are fairly civil.

nice theory! :D

it helps that im pretty familiar with the cast of characters... and can pretty much predict which threads are going to hot button which users!

:)

in truth we are all fairly easy going... new posters don't often get the humor in some of our posts...

but if we couldn't razz and joke with each other a little i doubt we'd hang out as much as we do....

I see!!

I agree, these forums are fairly civil.

I think it is an honest question if you are not well versed with amp modeling.... :huh:

...and there IS a validity to the question - at the end of the day, there's just a processor in there (a few?  not familiar w/the architecture) dealing with 1's and 0's.  Regardless of the model invoked, it's still just those 1's and 0's - what the OP seems to be missing is the specificity with which those switches are set on a model-by-model basis.  So he's right to a degree - everything IS already "in there", those switches are just waiting for the code to define their function.  He just seems to be underestimating the (hopefully) extreme precision with which each discrete model is analyzed.

The thought occurs - can anyone (other than the L6 coders) actually say that, in modeling amplifier "Y", they didn't notice "Hey, these numbers are exactly like Amp "X" except for this, this, and this?"  Somewhere there must be a database of the parameter values of the various models - would be interesting to see them laid out for comparison...

Really? Are you asking how to hack the POD to unlock the tones? Sounds like it.

Ooooohhh! I smell fodder for a new conspiracy theory....the models were really there all along, and the new firmware just unlocks them. The model packs are but a ruse for more money!!!! :P

For all of you "nobody actually landed on the moon" types out there.....discuss!

I'm getting some popcorn...

For all of you "nobody actually landed on the moon" types out there.....discuss!

There are no modeled amps or effects at all.

The units are loaded with real tubes, cabs, pedals, and mics, in microscopic versions.

All the DSP is used to attenuate the inputs and then amplify them.

There are no modeled amps or effects at all.

The units are loaded with real tubes, cabs, pedals, and mics, in microscopic versions.

All the DSP is used to attenuate the inputs and then amplify them.

Nanotechnology...I had long suspected. The tiny little Tube Screamers are so cute under an electron microscope.

Ooooohhh! I smell fodder for a new conspiracy theory....the models were really there all along, and the new firmware just unlocks them. The model packs are but a ruse for more money!!!! 

Don't make fun. There are companies that do that. 

Yamaha and Roland both, in their pianos, they use the same programming for multiple items --- but the amount of buttons on each unit determines which features you can access. 

Midi controllers can give you access to many more features that aren't accessible from the unit. 

Ooooohhh! I smell fodder for a new conspiracy theory....the models were really there all along, and the new firmware just unlocks them. The model packs are but a ruse for more money!!!! :P

I'm getting some popcorn...

I wouldn't be surprised if they are on the device in the firmware, just Monkey or whatever needs you to unlock them.

Unless you go through some process where you download it onto the POD, then it is the case.

Either way, trying to ask to unlock them through unconventional methods is ridiculous. It's like walking into a police station and asking if you can stab a cop.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are on the device in the firmware, just Monkey or whatever needs you to unlock them.

Unless you go through some process where you download it onto the POD, then it is the case.

Either way, trying to ask to unlock them through unconventional methods is ridiculous. It's like walking into a police station and asking if you can stab a cop.

Wow...forgive me for saying so, but you're imagining things. The only thing the OP is "guilty" of is a misunderstanding of how the POD works, yet you've assigned the guy an agenda, and decided he's asking how to "hack" the device? Sorry, but you've gone around the bend on this one.

• Upvote 1