Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pricing for Amp Model packs

TGibson01

I am new to the forums but not new to Line 6 products. I currently own a Line 6 HD 500 and a JTV 59 guitar that I used weekly at my church. Looking at the new model packs that have been released so far for the HD500X, I have noticed that personally I would not be able to use all of the models in any of the bundles. To me I would like to be able to pick and choose which new amp models I would like to purchase from both of the bundles. Does Line 6 allow you to do this or are you only able to purchase the complete bundle?

If you think about it Line 6 is charging $49.00 for about 10 amps in each bundle so that breaks down to $5.00 per amp model. I would be more apt to purchase the amp model(s) I wanted from the whole list for a price somewhere around $7.00 to $10.00.

From the metal pack I am only interested in the 5150 and the remastered JCM 800 models. From the vintage pack I am only interested in the Orange OR80 and the Line 6 Acoustic Models.

I don’t know if anyone else would think this a great idea or not and I don’t know if Line 6 makes this option available already, if so I have not seen it anywhere. If this is already available could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

If you think about it Line 6 is charging $49.00 for about 10 amps in each bundle so that breaks down to $5.00 per amp model.

Exactly...five dollars an amp. I'm gonna say that again, because I think it bears repeating...Five. Dollars. An. Amp. Now if they were forcing you to buy a bundle of 146 amps at $5 apiece, then you'd have a legitimate gripe. But we're talking about fifty bucks...skip the next 8 half-gallon decaf frappa-whatevers from Starbucks...

Also, you may very well surprise yourself. I ended up liking several of the amp models (from the original stock set and the new bundles) that I would never have anticipated beforehand. Ignoring any of them on principle alone, because you just assume that you'll have no use for them, is a waste. There's tons of potential in there...five bucks each is a bargain. And if you don't like one...$5 lost. Oh the humanity! We've all wasted five bucks on far worse things...a beer at the ballgame costs twice that...

Anyone that knows how this stuff works knows that you can't make $$ on 5 dollar orders!  IT costs money to process orders.    That's why things are bundled.  If you don't want to spend $50 for a bundle, then don't!  It's up to you.  I think that even if I like and use one model it's worth the $$ to me.

• Upvote 1

It's not fair to beat up the original poster here!

:)

it's his first post, welcome!

it's a legitimate question, which i would like to see as well...

however, it's not the way they've chosen to do business....

but imagine an app store with 5$ amps and 3$ effects.... would be great!

especially with a "season pass" type option... where you could pay up front and get all releases in the subscribed category.... EPIC.

but the logistics and amount of work required... as well as prospective revenue from doing this...

must not have worked out in the accounting or technical departments....

and in the end, we have affordable bundles.

anyway good idea! just not the way it's going to work out for the pod HD's.

• Upvote 1

especially with a "season pass" type option... where you could pay up front and get all releases in the subscribed category.... EPIC.

but the logistics and amount of work required... as well as prospective revenue from doing this...

Not trying to beat anybody up...although I will say that the expectation for it to all be free is beyond ludicrous. There are no columns for happy thoughts or cool vibes on the quarterly reports, but I digress. Just attempting to provide a little perspective...

there are actually many free models that were released for the pod hd's

if you bought one early on.... it's easy to realize....

buying one later on.... it seems like they were all part of the package from day one.

so it has happened....

but i certainly agree that the expectation for any company is to generate profit.

It's not the OP who was the recipient of some sarcasm.... It was the later complaint that the model packs should be free..... At least that's what prompted my sarcastic response....

I agree that Line 6 should receive compensation for the new model packs that they have developed. But it would be nice to be able to cherry pick which models we would like to purchase or would like in a $50 download pack. Maybe that is something that can be developed for a future product.

I am the main guitarist at my church and not all of the amps that they have modeled in each pack would work in that kind of setting (at least I don't know how I would incorporate them into the music in that setting) but I would like to use one or two for church and one or two for me to mess with at home. I agree that all of the amps could be great and would be a blast to use but I also don't have an extra $100 to purchase all of the models at this moment just to have one two that I know I want.

I guess I can just wait till I have the money and purchase the packs.

The funny thing is that guitarists will spend $100 on a new pedal without even blinking... Heck, it's very easy to spend twice that on a single overdrive pedal. In my opinion, the Pete Anderson Deluxe may be worth the cost alone. That's a spicy meatball-a!

I agree that Line 6 should receive compensation for the new model packs that they have developed. But it would be nice to be able to cherry pick which models we would like to purchase or would like in a $50 download pack. Maybe that is something that can be developed for a future product.

I am the main guitarist at my church and not all of the amps that they have modeled in each pack would work in that kind of setting (at least I don't know how I would incorporate them into the music in that setting) but I would like to use one or two for church and one or two for me to mess with at home. I agree that all of the amps could be great and would be a blast to use but I also don't have an extra $100 to purchase all of the models at this moment just to have one two that I know I want.

I guess I can just wait till I have the money and purchase the packs.

Cherry Picking Amps and/or FX is a fantastic idea and believe me that Line 6 has long known about that idea and I am sure that will not soon forget it...

My opinion is that the problem at this time is that the embedded HD hardware just can't support it...I don't know specifics, but I have been a software/firmware engineer for many years and my suspicion is that is simply a matter of processing power vs the dev time to do it on lesser hardware...If you get down to a granular level like that and the security code required to do it elegantly, it is most likely that the hardware capacity jsut isn't there to pull it off in a way that would be on par with their expectations of the product or it would drive the price point too high to put the dev time into doing it....I am only guessing....Still a great idea....

it really is a shame.  I have the Zoom MS100BT and the app for that lets you pick any amp or effect and demo it for 30 minutes and/or buy it.  They load up by Bluetooth and its a great feature.  I think if they invested in the website and the delivery method one time they could use it for years to come across all their future platforms.  It also gives them the incentive to keep adding new items to the store front and keep us interested...

don't mistake this for complaining, I'm not at all.  Just think its a great idea...

53c85f7c6e571d5cf7995734c9773ceb.jpg

imagine....

pod comes with nothing but a card giving you 20 effects and 10 amps....

the rest is pay for what you want....

love the idea...

i'd love it more if you could say pay 20$ to subscribe to all the drive pedals and future drive pedals.... or whatever pedals, or high gain amps or vintage amps, etc... and a 200$ all now and future unlock all option

because i know i want it all :D

and the more this and that everyone buys... the more this and that they make! 

and universalize them.... meaning if you buy the JCM800, you get all the pre's and all the generations of it... pod 2.0, XT, HD. etc so an amp purchase might give you 10 new options.

may as well dream big!

aint happening.... but i'm thinking it has success written all over it.

• Upvote 1

Amplitube sells amps at $20-30 bucks each and another $5 for the matching cab. I don't think $50 a pack is out of line. I suspect that if Line 6 broke the packs up we would be looking at the Amplitube price level. As one of the posters mentioned, each transaction costs money.

I have had a few different Zoom products and they are pretty good but the POD HD series is much better on most fronts, especially Amp and Cab sims.

These model packs should be free. At least one of them. I mean, we already spent  at least 500-700$ to buy a POD HD PRO/PRO X...

No, because when you payed for the POD, you weren't saying, "Gee I'm gonna get this and they better give me new amps later!", you purchased it because you liked what it presented you in it's stock form.

A price on these packs helps make Line 6 keep the POD having a purpose on their end.

Now, maybe taking at least 10 dollars off the packs, then sure, but they need to make profit somehow.

I am thrilled with the choices offered by Line 6.Having used Roland / Boss units for 20 years the willingness of L6 to give us anything to buy plus a great free firmware update is too cool.Roland philosophy is this"It's perfect when it comes of the assembly line.You don't need anything else". LOL! I have given Roland Corp. thousands of dollars and they have never done anything but tell me they thought a problem I was having with an old GR-1 unit was all "In my head".Bundles are great and as soon as I master backing up my patches to my laptop I will do the update and buy the vintage bundle.I will definitely use every model in it!

Personally, even though there are amps I will likely never use, I bought the whole bundle.. why?? cause maybe someday I WILL want one of the amp models.. or maybe an old model and a newly modeled cab combo..or a guitar amp model through a bass cab/mic.. point being you never know exactly WHAT you will need in the future...the new 2204 jcm 800 model, to me is almost worth it alone... getting good results from it with only minor tweaking and it has only been a little over an hour since I purchased them...

I am thrilled with the choices offered by Line 6.Having used Roland / Boss units for 20 years the willingness of L6 to give us anything to buy plus a great free firmware update is too cool.Roland philosophy is this"It's perfect when it comes of the assembly line.You don't need anything else". LOL! I have given Roland Corp. thousands of dollars and they have never done anything but tell me they thought a problem I was having with an old GR-1 unit was all "In my head".Bundles are great and as soon as I master backing up my patches to my laptop I will do the update and buy the vintage bundle.I will definitely use every model in it!

I just had an experience with Boss "Support" that left me with such a bad taste in my mouth I will likely never give them a cent of my money again. Line 6 forums are filled with friendly and knowledgable users and tech support people. I have never waited for more than a few hours when I had a question or problem. With Boss...it was a few days.

I don't mind giving Line 6 a few extra bucks to keep the updates flowing. Line 6 listens to and cares about their customers.

• Upvote 1

you know the biggest benefit to Line6 to do individual amps that noone has mentioned....

the used market...

suddenly the used pod you bought has options....

but unlike now... line6 can make money off of them, rather than just taking the occasional support calls etc.

• Upvote 2

you know the biggest benefit to Line6 to do individual amps that noone has mentioned....

the used market...

suddenly the used pod you bought has options....

but unlike now... line6 can make money off of them, rather than just taking the occasional support calls etc.

Very good point!

the problem with that 'the used market' suggestion.... 

I would do a reset of any electronic gizmo I bought used. 

Bye Bye bonus amps. 

Hell, I usually do resets of stuff I buy new. And over the next few weeks after purchase, will do many resets as I learn what tweaks one can and cannot make. 

To the OP I ahve only had about 2or 3 hours of trying out the different amps and there are a few feature amps in each patch worth owning and several filler amps. Some to me are more of the same but the few feature amps make it worthwhile.

Great idea!

I'd much prefer to audition and purchase individual amps.

The new models packs are mostly good, and a few are excellent!