Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Battery Drain W/variax Off

• 3 years later...

If I leave the DVI cable plugged in to the Variax,  will that cause the battery to drain?    Since the Helix is powering the guitar,  I would think that isn't an issue.  However I left the DVI cable in overnight and it appeared that the test button indicated the battery was flat.

Thanks.

If you have the VDI cable connected you don't need the battery. Take it out. You should not have both the VDI and regular guitar cable connected simultaneously (except when using the Workbench interface, but that's not a VDI cable).

8 hours ago, Frankg111 said:

If I leave the DVI cable plugged in to the Variax,  will that cause the battery to drain?    Since the Helix is powering the guitar,  I would think that isn't an issue.  However I left the DVI cable in overnight and it appeared that the test button indicated the battery was flat.

Thanks.

Leaving a 1/4" cable plugged in will drain it, the VDI won't.... though it will drain gradually over time whether you use it or not, like any similar rechargeable battery. You didn't mention when it was last charged...if it was fully charged one day and dead the next, and you were not issuing the 1/4" out at all, then the battery itself is toast.

I have having some very odd battery behaviour going on.   So very weird stuff.  

Sympton:  Fully Charge brand new battery, Plug in 1/4 cable, power on Variax by pushing the button (Lights come on) , light turns off in about 10 seconds or so.  wait about 10 minutes, check battery, one light on the charge indicator and the battery is no hot but takes a charge. 

I have flashed the guitar a couple of times.

even though the variax indicated a flat battery,  the charge still indicated that the battery is full charge.

Also if you press the battery button a few times the green lights cascade or one or two lights cascade. 

P.S. just put in a fresh charged battery per the charges and it lasted about 6 minutes.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am starting to think there is a dead short someplace.

Thanks

• 11 months later...

OK I know this is years late but I just got my 89f and the battery will run down overnight with a cable in the 1/4" jack, but will keep its charge without the cable plugged in.  I talked to Line 6 support and they said if the modeling knob is not turned on it doesn't use any battery, but what i think is the Piezo bridge is in the circuit with the cable plugged in.  I don't have a schematic, but my guess is the electronics and the bridge are different circuits, the bridge connected directly to the cable switch and the modeling electronics connected through the modeling knob switch.  Seems silly that we can't get a definitive answer after all this time.  Love the guitar though.

14 hours ago, Clamberite said:

OK I know this is years late but I just got my 89f and the battery will run down overnight with a cable in the 1/4" jack, but will keep its charge without the cable plugged in.  I talked to Line 6 support and they said if the modeling knob is not turned on it doesn't use any battery, but what i think is the Piezo bridge is in the circuit with the cable plugged in.  I don't have a schematic, but my guess is the electronics and the bridge are different circuits, the bridge connected directly to the cable switch and the modeling electronics connected through the modeling knob switch.  Seems silly that we can't get a definitive answer after all this time.  Love the guitar though.

The battery does drain slowly with a 1/4” cable plugged in even if the guitar is powered off. Technically, turning the volume down doesn’t turn the guitar completely off - it’s more like sleep mode. There’s a small idle current so the electronics can monitor when the guitar is brought back from sleep mode.