Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500 straight into a Mixer

panhoco

Hello all

Ive just bougth an POD HD500.

Our band manager asked as to re move all amps and start using in ear monitor. So the whole band will go direct to the mixer, than into a powerplay.

Ive already messed around with the unit, its in the inline/ditrect option.

The problem is that ai see tooo many tios for the same feature, like Put 6db and A 50% B50%. Put A 100% Mute B and 0.0Db.

And i Know that who will tell that is good it will be me, and my ear.

So, I looked in the forum but didnt found anything about it. What i wanted to know is just the basic setup to use the POD HD500 directly into the mixer, without buying pre amp etc.

What is the best output ? Xlr? 1/4? Should I use with DI?

Im not asking for any patch =), just wnated to know the best way to setup the conection and either the output, input setup for it.

Just wanted to get closer to the wartm of a amp, I know ill never get the same tone.

Thanks in advance.

You do not need a DI. Set the HD500 output mode to Studio. Use the 1/4" outputs from the Hd500 to the mixer. Use both L/R for stereo, or just the L for mono (the stereo signal will be summed to mono using the 1/4" L but not the XLR L). Set the 1/4" output switch to Line.

Also, for best results make sure you use a Full (rather then Pre) amp model in your Hd50 preset, and select the desired mic/cab combination.

Hi Uber, thank you for the response Il will try that out. Its a whole new world for me, since Ive using stompboxes and tube amps all my life.

Will give you an feedback.

And tip for headphone setup? Or just plug the headphone into tyhe headphone jack and Im good to go? Im using an in ear IP2 from AKG.

Thanks

Option 1: Run LEFT 1/4 out on the POD to the mixer "line in".  Dead Simple and will sound pretty good. No preamp need the POD outputs line level already (setable on the face of the unit). If you have long run on the 1/4 you might want to use DI here.  The POD 1/4 left will sum any Stereo effects to mono.

Option 2: Run LEFT XLR and RIGHT XLR out on the POD to a two channels on the mixer. Pan each channel on the mixer hard left and hard right appropiate to which side of the POD they are hooked to.  Full Stereo if the PA is setup for full Stereo, great fun here.

IF YOU ARE USING NO STEREO EFFECTS ON THE POD PATCH OR USE ONE LIKE THE NOISE GATE AT THE END OF THE PATCH TO SUM TO STEREO: Option 3: Run XLR LEFT out of POD to input on Mixer Channel strip.

Option 4 (not really a POD one). Use isolation box with mic in off stage somewhere to mic your rig. Give the same low volume on stage and FOH control, but then you can use whatever produces the best tone for you.

Option 5: (okay this is just me maybe not for everyone!). Tell Manager to shove it. I'm the talent not him, I will suceed or fail not him. So I should be able to decide what my tone is. It's the sound crews job to control feedback and volume levels.

Option 1: Run LEFT 1/4 out on the POD to the mixer "line in".  Dead Simple and will sound pretty good. No preamp need the POD outputs line level already (setable on the face of the unit). If you have long run on the 1/4 you might want to use DI here.  The POD 1/4 left will sum any Stereo effects to mono.

Option 2: Run LEFT XLR and RIGHT XLR out on the POD to a two channels on the mixer. Pan each channel on the mixer hard left and hard right appropiate to which side of the POD they are hooked to.  Full Stereo if the PA is setup for full Stereo, great fun here.

IF YOU ARE USING NO STEREO EFFECTS ON THE POD PATCH OR USE ONE LIKE THE NOISE GATE AT THE END OF THE PATCH TO SUM TO STEREO: Option 3: Run XLR LEFT out of POD to input on Mixer Channel strip.

Option 4 (not really a POD one). Use isolation box with mic in off stage somewhere to mic your rig. Give the same low volume on stage and FOH control, but then you can use whatever produces the best tone for you.

Option 5: (okay this is just me maybe not for everyone!). Tell Manager to shove it. I'm the talent not him, I will suceed or fail not him. So I should be able to decide what my tone is. It's the sound crews job to control feedback and volume levels.

LOL Palico, the thing is that we are now the opening band a artist of him, and she uses no amps. So its very good oportunity for us. He know Im analog man eheheh

Thanks for the options

LOL Palico, the thing is that we are now the opening band a artist of him, and she uses no amps. So its very good oportunity for us. He know Im analog man eheheh

Thanks for the options

Given that you likely will not get two channels or have much knowledge on how the PA is setup. So unless you can use option 3 with satisfactory results I would go with Option 1, same as Silverhead meantioed. While it's not analog, I'm kind of with on analog, I use a dream rig for simple purpose I have to have real tube in the mix somewhere, but the POD HD is really good and lot of people get good results, it will for sure get you close. The only posible problem is signal loss if you are across as snake where you might have 50 run or more on in. Then I might try to setup my patches to be all mono, either not using any Stereo effects or putting the POD noise gate at the end just becuase it sum to mono. Or using a the 1/4 out (will sum to mono automaticly) or using a DI so the chord length to the mixer problem could be avoided.

All good advice...

I go with the XLR outputs to the mixer (option #2 as Palico suggested). It sounds fantastic...going XLR gives you some noise cancelling as well if the runs to the mixer are long.

If you have stereo effects and such it sounds pretty great...

We also use in ears. Honestly as much as I love amps and all that, showing up with my guitar and POD and in ears is a really nice way to go...

Thanks you guys.. Ill try that today on the studio...

what about the Pan and dB setup? all 0.0 dB, 50/50 ?

If you use both XLR sides, Pan the mixer to the approriate side it's connected to on the POD, If using the a single 1/4 output, pan straight up and down. 

On DB just make sure you don't overdrive the mixer input.  If necassary you can lower the "Master" knob on  the POD to scale back the input some.  But only do that as a last resort.  

EQ straight up and down.

If you use both XLR sides, Pan the mixer to the approriate side it's connected to on the POD, If using the a single 1/4 output, pan straight up and down. 

On DB just make sure you don't overdrive the mixer input.  If necassary you can lower the "Master" knob on  the POD to scale back the input some.  But only do that as a last resort.  

EQ straight up and down.

Ok, Im going with the 1/4 input

SO I can live A and B with 50% and the dB with 0.0, correct?

Guitar to pod.

Pod to mixer via 2 xlr's. 

That is how I do it. 

I vote for XLR because every mixer is going to have XLR, but not all of them are going to have 1/4. It just makes it easier to be interchangeable and not have to adjust tones based on outputs. 

The rest of it is up to you. Yes, studio/direct is the best option, but that is your call to make. Yes, you may be able to make sounds with varying panning options (both on pod and on the mixer), but that is up to you to decide how you want it ran. Everything, once you get it plugged in, is up to you. 

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the group. Lots of good advice above. Once you dial in good sounds, you should be pretty happy with the HD.

No offense, but I have to ask you why you let your manager tell you what equipment to use?

No offenses =)

the thing is that we are now the opening band a artist of him, and she uses no amps. So its very good oportunity for us. He know Im analog man eheheh he is a pretty nice guy... h

Ok, Im going with the 1/4 input

SO I can live A and B with 50% and the dB with 0.0, correct?

No sure what you mean by "live A and B". Input signal should be around 0.0 db. But some like to run it less like -6 db. For sure don't want it over 0.0 db or at least not often over it.  On the output from the mixer to power amps, in ears etc... that's all in the mixing but most try to keep it @ max of 0.0db.  with maybe a occasional overage.

• 10 months later...

Hi there, I use the Podhd500x for vocals and guitar live, i have the spider hd150 and im wondering the best output option, atm im going xlr L to mixer for vocals and xlr R to the amp using a XLR to jack, but is it best for me to go 1/4 inch jack to desk and 1/4 jack to amp? XLR is best for Vocals but im wondering if its best for guitar or not?

Hi there, I use the Podhd500x for vocals and guitar live, i have the spider hd150 and im wondering the best output option, atm im going xlr L to mixer for vocals and xlr R to the amp using a XLR to jack, but is it best for me to go 1/4 inch jack to desk and 1/4 jack to amp? XLR is best for Vocals but im wondering if its best for guitar or not?

Stick with the XLR. A 1/4 cable is high impedance signal. This is fine for guitars and for short runs (under 30' feet). On a XLR cable you have low impedance balanced signal. So it's good for longer runs. Since you are using vocal and guitar on the POD you using one side of the POD chain for vocal and the other side for guitar. So you are mono on each of those already. You could use the 1/4 outs instead but there would be no reason to do that, and you would lose capability of using anything over 30 foot length without sacrificing some sound quality.   

FWIW, I have played studio and live since the POD 2.0 was released. I have 2 2.0 models and for 2 years have been happily using an HD500. In the studio I use a laptop loaded with Amplitube 4, Guitar Rig, BIAS, and TH2. I own a whole storage room full of amps and that now sit and gather dust. The road will be hard sometimes getting used to running direct but hang tough. The results are worth it!

Stick with the XLR. A 1/4 cable is high impedance signal. This is fine for guitars and for short runs (under 30' feet). On a XLR cable you have low impedance balanced signal. So it's good for longer runs. Since you are using vocal and guitar on the POD you using one side of the POD chain for vocal and the other side for guitar. So you are mono on each of those already. You could use the 1/4 outs instead but there would be no reason to do that, and you would lose capability of using anything over 30 foot length without sacrificing some sound quality.

Ok great thanks, is the best output option to stick with studio direct though? or I guess its down to preference? as one side is going to a stack the other to a P.A

Ok great thanks, is the best output option to stick with studio direct though? or I guess its down to preference? as one side is going to a stack the other to a P.A

Hmm being you are running mic and guitar, I would probably think studio direct would be the best option to keep the mic line the cleanest sounding. But you might try each one, just a matter of trade offs in that scenario.

• 1 year later...

Hi, i tried to connect my hd500x to mix through the First option (1/4 output) but i spotted low output level. I set to max the master and the channel volume, my preset Simply consists in tube overdrive + Brit 800. Can you help me to found any solution? Thanks

• 2 years later...
On 4/9/2015 at 3:58 PM, PRSGuy said:

All good advice...

I go with the XLR outputs to the mixer (option #2 as Palico suggested). It sounds fantastic...going XLR gives you some noise cancelling as well if the runs to the mixer are long.

If you have stereo effects and such it sounds pretty great...

We also use in ears. Honestly as much as I love amps and all that, showing up with my guitar and POD and in ears is a really nice way to go...

This is exactly what we want to accomplish. Would you mind explaining the "In ear" Scenario. My partner and I do a small act, my pod hd pro x out xlr to 2 channels panned on the mixer. My partner uses his gt100 basically the same way. Im trying to grasp the way I should run the "In ear's". I have 2 seperate that we want to start using. Are these 2 units simply split from a seperate output on the mixer. I am assuming we will hear the exact same thing from whatever output I am using. Im even curious as I speak about it, am i using the headphone out split to the 2 "in ears"? Or is there a better way t run it? Thanks in advance. Tec

Thanks for the reply. I understand what "in ears" are. I was wondering  what is the best way to use them. I was wondering what outputs I am using typically on a mixer to monitor  ourselves via the  "In ears". Naturally, I wouldnt use the main outs, but what output signal am I using to go into the "in ear" inputs. Headphone outs? I would also assume that I wouldnt want to use a hot signal. Some low output signal? So used to just using amps, but really want to monitor ourselves via "In Ear's". Thanks in advance

The mixer should have a number of knobs on each channel that sends a signal out. These are usually labeled 'aux' or 'bus'. One for each band member is best as this allows each person to have their own mix. If you only have one or two you can still use in ears but you have to listen to the same thing (this usually leads to arguments ;-)).

The headphones will need amplifying after the Aux. This is usually done by an in ears system so if you want to use your own buds you need to get a headphone amp.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys, as I am learning here I have more questions. Were just 2 guys that tinker on our stage at home. Playing parties and the rest. Too old to gig out anymore but we still like to play for our friends. We use backing tracks to play to with bass and drums on that track. too hard to depend on drummers and bass players to actually "Show up" lol, Anyway, We don't have a board that supports individual monitoring but really are trying to create a way to do (monitor ourselves) that yet run sound to the house so that our PA speakers are producing sound for the listeners in the audience. My friend and I are guitarists. Without buying a mixer that supports individual mixes in our wireless "In Ear" transmitters, its getting confusing. 

Here is our setup ;

I USE POD HD PRO X

HE USES GT100

Jamhub

Mackie 12 channel mixer (No separate monitor outs) PA CABS, etc. 

We could run into individual channels on our 12 track mixer and simply adjust the sound and run through the PA cabs, but were trying a new wrinkle (monitoring via wireless "In ear" units) His guitar is always louder and this way we can control our own sound with the jamhub through our "In ears". I can turn him down in my mix,  "YES!!!" . We have a Jam Hub Bedroom mixer that supports 5 inputs. What I am wondering is I have the 2 xlrs coming out of the POD HD and would normally run them to individual channels and pan accordingly on the house board,  I can only see 2 ways to be able to run that same way, stereo into the jam hub. 1) using the 2 unbalanced outputs on the POD (stereo) into a single stereo converter and into , lets say channel 1 of the jamhub. 2) left and right xlr into channel 1 and 2 creating two panned tracks L&R but using up 2 channels of my 5 available. Also using the headphone out gets confusing cause now there are 2 headphone jacks to deal with. Which is better? 

With both have guitars input into seperate channels of the jamhub, we take an ipad and run the backing tracks into the aux of the jamhub. Now is where I get lost. Using 2 separate Anleon S2T wireless transmitter "In ear" devices,  should I be using the headphone out of each channel on the jamhub to achieve independently mixed sound. Does that sound right to you guys?

Then from there, I am assuming I run the totally mixed sound out of the jamhub into 2 separate channels on "the house" board for the audience. But Im thinking if his mix is different from mine, its all getting sent mixed to the PA that way and will sound crappy! I love my stereo sound, so I am confused on how I send one signal to the jamhub, and the other side to the board and maintain the stereo imagery?

I know this has gotten confusing but I am hoping you guys may be able to help in my quandry. I am attaching some pics to review. Hoping someone can help me in this setup.

Ultimate goal is to be able to hear ourselves and make changes if needbe in our own ear and also send some signal to the board to be used an an overall mix for the audience, using what we have without having to buy a house board. I hear that the JAMHUB is an excellent way to monitor using wireless "in ear" devices. Any help is appreciated  

Thanks in advance - Tec

20191023_194126.jpg

20191023_194032_resized.jpg

20191023_194048_resized.jpg

20191023_194143.jpg

1 hour ago, tecboy said:

Hi guys, as I am learning here I have more questions. Were just 2 guys that tinker on our stage at home. Playing parties and the rest. Too old to gig out anymore but we still like to play for our friends. We use backing tracks to play to with bass and drums on that track. too hard to depend on drummers and bass players to actually "Show up" lol, Anyway, We don't have a board that supports individual monitoring but really are trying to create a way to do (monitor ourselves) that yet run sound to the house so that our PA speakers are producing sound for the listeners in the audience. My friend and I are guitarists. Without buying a mixer that supports individual mixes in our wireless "In Ear" transmitters, its getting confusing. 

Here is our setup ;

I USE POD HD PRO X

HE USES GT100

Jamhub

Mackie 12 channel mixer (No separate monitor outs) PA CABS, etc. 

We could run into individual channels on our 12 track mixer and simply adjust the sound and run through the PA cabs, but were trying a new wrinkle (monitoring via wireless "In ear" units) His guitar is always louder and this way we can control our own sound with the jamhub through our "In ears". I can turn him down in my mix,  "YES!!!" . We have a Jam Hub Bedroom mixer that supports 5 inputs. What I am wondering is I have the 2 xlrs coming out of the POD HD and would normally run them to individual channels and pan accordingly on the house board,  I can only see 2 ways to be able to run that same way, stereo into the jam hub. 1) using the 2 unbalanced outputs on the POD (stereo) into a single stereo converter and into , lets say channel 1 of the jamhub. 2) left and right xlr into channel 1 and 2 creating two panned tracks L&R but using up 2 channels of my 5 available. Also using the headphone out gets confusing cause now there are 2 headphone jacks to deal with. Which is better? 

With both have guitars input into seperate channels of the jamhub, we take an ipad and run the backing tracks into the aux of the jamhub. Now is where I get lost. Using 2 separate Anleon S2T wireless transmitter "In ear" devices,  should I be using the headphone out of each channel on the jamhub to achieve independently mixed sound. Does that sound right to you guys?

Then from there, I am assuming I run the totally mixed sound out of the jamhub into 2 separate channels on "the house" board for the audience. But Im thinking if his mix is different from mine, its all getting sent mixed to the PA that way and will sound crappy! I love my stereo sound, so I am confused on how I send one signal to the jamhub, and the other side to the board and maintain the stereo imagery?

I know this has gotten confusing but I am hoping you guys may be able to help in my quandry. I am attaching some pics to review. Hoping someone can help me in this setup.

Ultimate goal is to be able to hear ourselves and make changes if needbe in our own ear and also send some signal to the board to be used an an overall mix for the audience, using what we have without having to buy a house board. I hear that the JAMHUB is an excellent way to monitor using wireless "in ear" devices. Any help is appreciated  

Thanks in advance - Tec

it is quite easy:

- connect the two XLR outputs (or the two 1/4" jack outputs) of the POD to 2 channels of the jamhub, pan one channel to the LEFT and the other channel to the RIGHT,

- connect your in ear system to the headphones output of one of your chosen L and R channels and on that channel set:

the monitoring level of your 2 (panned) channels, the monitoring levels of your friend (panned) channels, and the monitoring level of the backing track channel.

your friend can do the same procedure and choose his preferred monitoring settings.

the point is that whatever are the monitoring levels you choose for yourself, and the ones chosen by your friend, they should not affect at all the general stereo output level and the mix of the jamhub, which depend only on the input levels and pan settings set for each used channel..

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

11 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

it is quite easy:

- connect the two XLR outputs (or the two 1/4" jack outputs) of the POD to 2 channels of the jamhub, pan one channel to the LEFT and the other channel to the RIGHT,

- connect your in ear system to one of your chosen L and R channels and on that channel set: the monitoring level of your 2 channels, the monitoring levels of your friend channels, and the monitoring level of the backing track channel.

your friend can do the same procedure and choose his preferred monitoring settings.

the point is that whatever are the monitoring levels you choose for yourself, and the ones chosen by your friend, they should not affect at all the general stereo output level and the mix of the jamhub, which depend only on the input levels and pan settings set for each used channel..

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

That makes perfect sense. So you think the jamhub output right to a channel or 2 (Stereo) on the "House" board (PA) would work well enough? I was hearing people talking about splitting the signal somehow and running one output of my POD to the house and the other into the jam hub. I got all confused. lol Thanks for your help with this. tec

8 hours ago, tecboy said:

So you think the jamhub output right to a channel or 2 (Stereo) on the "House" board (PA) would work well enough? I was hearing people talking about splitting the signal somehow and running one output of my POD to the house and the other into the jam hub.

Yes, it will.. (avoid the suggested above splitting trick, it is not a good solution)..

The ideal would have been for the jamhub to have had separate outputs so that the mix of the individual channels could be perfected in the house board.

But since the jamhub has a single general stereo output, the procedure should be  as follows:
- set the pan controls of your channels and your friend,

- standing in front of the stage, adjust the input levels of all the channels used on the jamhub until the mix is ideal. Ok, now the most important part has been made.

At this point for each of you there is nothing left to do but to set the channels monitoring levels on the jamhub as you like, your personal monitoring settings will have no influence on the general signal outgoing to the house board..

Just, in case the house board is not provided with a stereo input channel, you'll need to run a Y cable (1 stereo to 2 mono L and R) from the jamhub, and use 2 channels on the house board, one panned LEFT and the other panned RIGHT.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips