Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.62 for everyone

slockrem

Ok so, quick (possibly stupid and answered many times that I just cant find) question.  I've done all the updates, bought just the metal pack and everything seems to be fine.  I don't see or at least haven't found any abnormalities so hellz yeah there.  When I did my updates, I chose to keep my current patches, still backed them up but didn't let the process overwrite them.  Is there any reason that I should have let it overwrite?  

Did L6 release any presets with the new model packs besides what automatically shows up when you purchase the new ones, ones that are worth re-flashing again? Only reason I am concerned is because of my days in computers.. I know reloading an OS over top of itself was never as good as a full wipe and reload and of course I don't wanna miss out on any goodies! 

spawn2031, I ran it the first time and chose to keep my current patches. But that kept me from getting the new preset banks.
So I re-ran it and chose not to keep them. That got me the new banks but I had to rename them accordingly.

Having said that...the new Variax, L6Link DT banks of patches really had nothing in them for me. Some of the patches are so low in volume that I at first thought I didn't have the volume up. lol

I was thinking that maybe the new 5150 model would be really good. But to my ears...it's not as "good" sounding as the original Treadplate (Mesa Boogie) amp model.

But then I noticed the new Variac Plexi model. I put that one on with a tube screamer in front of it...and HELL YES!
It has taken the TreadPlate off the throne for me.

The 5150 is just too "fuzzy" for my liking. But the Variac Plexi with the tube screamer has sustain for days AND still retains "woody" tone in the bottom end so the notes don't become just a bunch of fuzzy nonsense.

Also, since I use a "dream rig" (JTV 89f -> 500 HD ->DT50), the new Acoustic amp was something I'd been needing badly. Now I FINALLY have that beautiful acoustic sound.

So I'm very happy with the update and the model packs.

Looking forward to trying out the new bass amp models in the studio as well.

But then I noticed the new Variac Plexi model. I put that one on with a tube screamer in front of it...and HELL YES!  It has taken the TreadPlate off the throne for me.

so interesting to hear that because isn't that an older X3 model ported to the HD?  It's not a full HD amp model is it?

so interesting to hear that because isn't that an older X3 model ported to the HD?  It's not a full HD amp model is it?

I have no idea. I just know it showed up in the new models for the HD 500.

I'm just going with my ears on this one. :)

But I'm sure that in my eternal quest for the "Holy Grail" I'll still be searching. lol

Right now I'm just running my HD 500 direct.

My DT 50 finally had the dreaded power transformer failure that has been reported so many times.

I'm in Vegas so I took it to Cowtown Guitars and Roy in the back at "Roy's Repair-O-Rama" (the guy that does tube amp restoration for the show "Pawn Stars" on History Channel)

He told me that the Tawain made power transformers on the DT50 aren't that good. And he's worked on a few of them. He's putting in some new American made power transformers that will more than handle the DT50 and re-tubing it. Said it will sound far better than it did even when it was brand new.

So I'm excited about that too. And can't wait to hear this Variax Plexi through the DT50 with the L6 link.

Also...I have found that if I use a guitar model on the JTV 89f while using a "heavy" tone...the "chunk" kinda loses it's tone. Especially when palm muting.

I experimented with all the guitar models and pickup models (including the "high output" pickup model), but when I went straight to the pickups in the JTV 89f it blew away the guitar models. The guitar itself sounds really, really good.

So if you try out the tube screamer in front of the Variax Plexi...make sure to use a guitar with fairly high output humbuckers.

I set up 3 patches for my rock guitar sound.  A "crunch" with just the Variax Plexi with the original settings.  A "rock-n-roll" sound with the Variax Plex drive turned down to "50", and my lead sound with the tube screamer drive and output on "80" in front of the Variax Plexi with original settings except the volume which I turned up from 50 to 60 and a little bit of delay at the end of the chain.

I'm in Vegas so I took it to Cowtown Guitars and Roy in the back at "Roy's Repair-O-Rama" (the guy that does tube amp restoration for the show "Pawn Stars" on History Channel)

He told me that the Tawain made power transformers on the DT50 aren't that good. And he's worked on a few of them. He's putting in some new American made power transformers that will more than handle the DT50 and re-tubing it. Said it will sound far better than it did even when it was brand new.

I will be interested to see what you think if it really makes a difference with a better tranny...

My HD Pro went through the update process fine, and the new model packs loaded without a hitch.  Agree with robbieb61 on the 5150 - I was very underwhelmed by that.  But it's great to have the old POD Farm models and I spent ages noodling on the Jazz Chorus...love it.  I was impressed with some of the Variax presets too and will explore these and the new models more over the weekend.  Particularly looking forward to blasting the new bass models through my L3ts :-)

Updated my HD500 this afternoon with the new USB firmware, Flash Memory, and the $99 Model Pack with the Works.

Everything went very smoothly.... Remember to Reset the HD500 and recalibrate the expression pedal.

Love the Orange Amp! With a Tele on my JTV69 started Channeling Tom Petty. Still exploring but so far pretty pleased

Thanks Line 6

Out of curiosity, to do the global reset thing that's recommended after a FW update, you hold down the left navigator arrow while powering on.  Is the display supposed to show anything regarding that's its being reset or just what I see... the normal power on screen?

Point I'm getting at is it could have one wondering whether or not anything happened at all.

Earlier I babbled on about how great the Variax Plexi sounded and said it was the new "king" for me.
Well, scratch that.
I just put the Mandarin 80 (The Orange Amp model) in my lead guitar patch. I cranked up the drive all the way on it with a tube screamer sitting in front of it...and damn it sounds GREAT!

By tomorrow I may have changed my mind again. lol

To me the bass and cleaner amps were what was lacking in the HDs but I do like some of the new metal amps.

There is definitely a tonal/feel difference and they are their own thing.

But there is a feeling of more of the same when you scroll thru. 

This is only after about an hour today and an  hour last night.

the Variax setlist is not showing up in my hd500x. i bought the model packs and all the amp models are there, did the firmware and flash memory updates first. variax setlist seems to the the only thing missing. any ideas?

it wont show up if you keep your tones.... 

the Variax setlist is not showing up in my hd500x. i bought the model packs and all the amp models are there, did the firmware and flash memory updates first. variax setlist seems to the the only thing missing. any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

if you create patches very often, and compare between two, ABing. you will see a problem like a BUFFER, you need to reset the unit or (I recently discover, change to other patches using up and down buttons)

when adjusting patches, some percentages disappeared when dialing buttons.

Has anyone created an ideascale to restore the percentage indications or do we need to create a support ticket or....  what?

I opened a support ticket about this in the beginning of April. They said they are aware of it and working on a fix...

Found a new bug on hd edit yesterday, check it out guys, pretty easy to test, it takes 10secs:

Abcd configuration,

create a new patch lets say on c, full solo100 clean( must be full), no changes, send selected to pod.

Create a new one on b, full jazz rivet, no changes, send selected to pod.

Now when you push c on pod you will come back to full solo 100 BUT the four dials of amp parameters except master are zeroed, if you push c again, they move!!!

It is not a big big deal, but if you are adjusting your patch precisely you will waste time. Or you need to push twice as a bad habit to have original values every time you change patches. Can anyone confirm? Last firmware here

Thanks for your time

Found a new bug on hd edit yesterday, check it out guys, pretty easy to test, it takes 10secs:

Abcd configuration,

create a new patch lets say on c, full solo100 clean( must be full), no changes, send selected to pod.

Create a new one on b, full jazz rivet, no changes, send selected to pod.

Now when you push c on pod you will come back to full solo 100 BUT the four dials of amp parameters except master are zeroed, if you push c again, they move!!!

It is not a big big deal, but if you are adjusting your patch precisely you will waste time. Or you need to push twice as a bad habit to have original values every time you change patches. Can anyone confirm? Last firmware here

Thanks for your time

I can confirm this.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...