Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Effect loop causing excessive buzzing

wowza

So today i powered up the rig to do some jamming and immediately upon taking my DT50 out of standby it starts making a horrific noise like there is a serious ground issue.  I proceed into a little bit of a panic mode and shut her down.  I let her sit for a bit and turn her back on hoping it was just some kind of fluke but sure enough throw her out of standby and boom hit with the horrific sound again ugh.

I left it on this time and turned down the volume so i could troubleshoot.  The only things i am running are my Pro and a BBE sonic maximizer through the effects loop of the DT which i run there just so i dont have to worry about it in the chain of the Pro.  First thing i try is shutting down the Maximizer and boom sound goes away....awesome non sarcastic because i would rather deal with the fried out maximizer that a messed up head.

I take the maximizer out of the rack and proceed to disassemble it to see if there are any noticable caps or anything that are fried but all looks good under the hood so i was at a loss there.  After i put it back together i decide to try the last thing i can think of and throw it into the effects loop on the Pro and of course it works flawlessly which means now im back to an issue with the head.

With the maximizer running through the Pod everything works as expected so i'm fine for now but that still means there is a problem there.  Has anyone else ever had any problems with their effects loop on the amp.  I guess the only thing im worried about is maybe it will lead to something worse later on or that it is already a symptom of a larger problem that is starting to come up.

are you sure that the lead wasn't partially out of your guitar? I have had older strat TS jacks go bad and do something like that...That is why I use TRS jacks now....or a cable go bad....or perhaps pulled partway out....I would check all the cables first...make sure all the contact surfaces are nice an clean...

There are a couple. The primary reason is that the TRS Jack holds the plug more firmly than a TS...The other is a wiring convenience...I am a bit anal about how I wire a passive guitar as I like to make sure the ground is utilized and always paired with the hot path...the pairs are twisted (foil shielded where it's feasible to do it)...mainly it's the primary output wires to the jack that are 5 inches or longer depending on the guitar and I used twisted pair shielded to the jack since the output wires are usually leaving the shielded cavity for a bit...It just gives me two terminals for connecting the shield drain wire and the ground wire...no need to short the ring to the sleeve since the plug sleeve on the guitar lead does that...

I'm pretty positive my cable lead was completely seated through all this.  I have the g90 so I really don't have to worry about tripping on the cord or anything like that.  And I ruled out the cables with a multimeter before switching the maximizer over to the pod.  I'll try it again tomorrow just to see if there is something I'm missing but honestly nothing changed from yesterday when I played it.  Everything was fine, I didn't even unplug the wireless transmitter from the guitar I left it on the strap when I put the guitar on the wall hanger.

You did not ask, but here it is anyway...enjoy while you are looking things over and I hope you narrow it down! :D

The following is what will happen if you add a BBE to your rig...

"Just a word of warning. Maximizers are the guitar gear equivalent of crack. The experience one goes through is identical:

1. The first hit: You hook it up and initially think "Oh MY GOD this the greatest thing EVER DOOOOOD!!!!!111!!!!1! I've found THE tone!"

2. You start using on a regular basis: Buy some model BBE, hook to rig, engage it 100% of the time. Rewrite all your patches.

3. You try to get your friends hooked: Dude, check out my rig, this thing takes it over the top!!!.

4. You go into addiction/denial: Friends think your tone has gone to sh*t but you think it is totally awesome. You start talking msinformed BS about different sound frequencies traveling at different velocities (hint: violation of Newtonian physics).

5. There is an intervention: Friend let's you A/B his non-maximizer rig versus yours in live setting, Yours sounds like over-processed dung, his rocks. He tells you, as a Bro, the BBE must go. You realize the BBE is a band aid for guitar tone and not even a good one at that.

6. You go into rehab: Another "like new" BBE xx2 unit hits eBay.

7. Regret: I wasted a sh*tload of time futzing with my rig, patches, etc, and my tone isn't any better and I'm back to square one. I Wonder what GE-7 pedals are going for these days.

Maybe you should avoid the whole thing. If you must post-process your modelling tone I would strongly suggest an EQ. It's much more versatile and will be long usable after the BBE is gone."

- kdog circa 2005-6 I think...my favorite post ever about BBEs...
  • Upvote 1

lol I remember reading that on the forum not long after I bought it, that was by far the best post on that thread!  I really have thought about just ditching it because honestly I have the dials so conservative it doesn't sound to different whether it on or bypassed.  I really don't know what happened I powered everything up today and everything is fine so whatever happened it decided it's going to behave itself for now.  In any case maybe I should just pull the thing from the rack and begin the withdrawl process lol