Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Jam Not Working - No Guitar Sound

Patty37

I've had my Spider Jam since 2008. However now I've found that it isn't registering any guitar? It's not the cable, it's not my guitars. Anyone know why there's no sound? There's a buzzing when I turn the gain all the way up and switch through the different preset tones.

I've had my Spider Jam since 2008. However now I've found that it isn't registering any guitar? It's not the cable, it's not my guitars. Anyone know why there's no sound? There's a buzzing when I turn the gain all the way up and switch through the different preset tones.

You may need to reflash the firmware. Do you use an FBV Pedal with it? Have you tried plugging your guitar into the AUX input if you do make sure you check the input level? Usually after I've tried to eliminate all the easy things to check I'll reflash the firmware.

You may need to reflash the firmware. Do you use an FBV Pedal with it? Have you tried plugging your guitar into the AUX input if you do make sure you check the input level? Usually after I've tried to eliminate all the easy things to check I'll reflash the firmware.

I don't use an FBV pedal, no. I've tried thenAUX input. I get nothing.

How do I re flash the firmware? What's the latest firmware version and where can i download it?

Thanks dude!

Your Welcome Dude!

This from the knowledge base. I think I did a thread on it a while ago, I'll see if I can dig it up, but this should help.

Firmware v2.09 Release Notes:

• Eliminated slight delay when entering Record mode.
  • Fixed problem with extended-ascii characters in file names.
  • Fixed Undo issue for recordings loaded directly from SD-Card, where the last two overdubs would be erased instead of only the most recent one.
v2.09 Firmware Update Instructions:
  • After you download the v2.09 update to your computer, please click here for step by step instructions on how to install the update. (Instructions are for v2.07, but they are essentially the same for v2.09. Note: If you are updating from v2.07, you can skip Step 4 -- no need to power up your Spider Jam with the SD card inserted -- simply insert SD card with power on as described in Step 3, then proceed to Step 5).
  • Note: SD Card must be no larger than 2 GB capacity!
Spider Jam Advanced Guide:

For in-depth info on features and functionality of the Spider Jam not included in the Pilot's Handbook, check out: Spider Jam Advanced Guide.

WARNING: BACK UP YOUR FILES!
  • The v2.09 update will erase all the internal recordings you have made. If you want to save them, use an SD card to create backups (via the TRANSFER ALL TO CARD command) then copy them from your SD card onto your PC for safe keeping (using an SD card reader). You can then reload your files using an SD card at any time after you have completed the update.
  • The v2.09 update will erase all the custom guitar presets you have made. Here are the instructions on Saving and Loading the presets to and from the Spider Jam:
    • STORING PRESETS
    • Created a User Tone and Saved it to a user location.
    • In the SETTINGS/TONE menu, please make sure RECORDINGS SET TONE is set to ON.
    • Made a recording with that guitar tone and save the recording to the internal memory. Do this for every preset you would like to store.
    • In the SAVE menu, select the TRANSFER ALL TO CARD option. All of your recordings and their associated tone will be saved to the SD card.
  • LOADING PRESETS
    • To transfer them back into the amp, go to the SAVE menu and choose the TRANSFER ALL FROM CARD option. This will load the recordings and the associated presets back onto the Spider Jam.
    • Now, when you load a recording that was transferred onto the Spider Jam from the SD Card, the preset that was stored with the recording will be loaded with the recording. It will show in the SETTINGS/TONE menu with an asterisk (*) next to the name.
    • To store this preset back into the Spider Jam User presets, go to the SAVE menu and select SAVE GUITAR TONE to store the preset in the User location you desire.
Note: If you are updating from v1.04, you should back up your recordings by connecting a recording device to your Spider Jam RCA Outputs/JM4 Stereo Line Out (tape or hard disk recorder, computer sound card, etc.) then record them as you would any other recorded material in real time. (Tip: Record them in WAV format at 44.1, 16 bit mono; that way you can reload them into your Spider Jam later).

Instructions for updating (also attached):

1. If you haven't done so already, download the latest firmware to your computer desktop from the Line 6 website (log in with your Line 6 User Name) here: Spider Jam 2.09 Firmware.

The downloaded file will be named "fw.bin", with no number. Please save this to your desktop to easily find the file once the file has been downloaded.

Note: You will need to delete any previous Spider Jam updates from your desktop prior to saving the Spider Jam 2.09 firmware, as the both devices will not recognize any firmware with an extension or name alterations.

2. Copy the downloaded fw.bin file to a blank SD card via an SD card reader. When the copy is complete, put the downloaded fw.bin file in a safe place on your PC for future reference -- for example, put it in a new folder labeled 'Spider Jam Flash', noting the version number.
3. Insert your SD card into the Spider Jam SD card slot.

Note: Spider Jam owners running v1.04 should press and hold the SAVE button while powering up the Spider Jam (release SAVE after Spider Jam powers up from the SD card).

4. Press the SAVE button to display the menu items in the LCD if they aren't already displayed.
5. Turn the wheel and navigate to FIRMWARE UPGRADE at the bottom of the menu list then press Right Arrow to display the upgrade screen.
6. Press Up Arrow for YES to proceed with the update -- the Spider Jam or JM4 Looper will update itself from the SD Card. When the update is complete, the Spider Jam will power cycle itself.

Note: Do not turn off power in the middle of the update!

7. Verify the update was successful by previewing a few Songs and Drum tracks (scroll thru the list; each track will play for a few seconds when you select it).
8. After verifying the update was successful, press the SAVE button again to display the menu list.
9. Turn the wheel and navigate to FORMAT CARD then press Right Arrow to display the format screen.
10. Press Up Arrow for YES and the Spider Jam/JM4 Looper will format the SD Card, preparing it for normal operation.
11. When formatting is complete, you're all set. If you ever want to reinstall your firmware, go back to your computer and copy the 'fw.bin' file to your SD Card, then repeat the above steps from Step 2.
12. If you want to load your backed up .WAV files into your Spider Jam again, simply copy them from your computer into the "LINE6" folder on your SD card using your SD card reader, then load them into your Spider Jam using the IMPORT WAV FILE FROM CARD command (consult the Spider Jam Advanced Guide for info on the option of viewing and loading your files via the SD Recordings Browser). If there is no LINE6 folder on the SD Card root directory, please create one.

Format Alert: If your SD Card is rejected by the Spider Jam as not being FAT16, you should format your card and start over. See Format Instructions below. (Also attached)

Mac OSX: Format SD Card to FAT16

1. Insert card into Mac via SD card reader
2. Name it UNTITLED (Double click on the icon on your desktop to open the drive>Right Click or CTRL Click on the Drive title and select the Rename option)
3. Open Terminal (via Applications/Utilities)
4. Copy and paste the following in the Terminal window exactly as written here and press Enter on your keyboard.

diskutil partitionDisk /Volumes/UNTITLED 1 MBRFormat "MS-DOS FAT16" "UNTITLED" 100%

5. The SD Card will be formatted to FAT16
6. To confirm, open Disk Utility app (via Applications/Utilities)
7. Select your SD card icon to the left in the Disk Utility window
8. Look at the text info in the lower part of the window; it should look like this (the information displayed below is for a 1GB SD Card so your capacity read out will look different if you are using a 2GB card):

Mount Point: /Volumes/UNTITLED Capacity: 952.4 MB (998,710,272 Bytes)
Format: MS-DOS (FAT16) Available: 951.4 MB (997,638,144 Bytes)
Owners Enabled: No Used: 784 KB (802,816 Bytes)
Number of Folders: 0

PC: (XP/Vista/7) Format SD Card to FAT16

1. Start Windows Explorer
2. Click on My Computer
3. Select/Highlight The SD-Card Reader/Drive that contains the SD-Card
4. Right Mouse Click and select Format from the pop-up menu
5. Make certain the File System displays: FAT (Default) and not FAT 32
6. File Allocation Unit Size = Default
7. Press Start to begin Format (follow on-screen instructions)

Note: On WinXP system there are only the options for formatting FAT and FAT 32 On Vista system there are the options for: FAT, FAT 32, NTFS, and exFAT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Did you ever get a useful answer?  Mine is doing the same thing... all lights work, blink, and no sound from the guitar or the jam tracks. Factory reset didn't help....POS

Did you ever get a useful answer?  Mine is doing the same thing... all lights work, blink, and no sound from the guitar or the jam tracks. Factory reset didn't help....POS

Did you try to reinstall the firmware? It's worth a try.

Of course I tried, and in fact did reinstall the firmware.... It's part of the string of useless answers on this topic. Obviously the engineers know there is a serious problem and this should be a recall but instead we must trudge though a blog only to find useless banter and nothing that helps. LINE 6 support is garbage and the product is a terrible waste of money....

Hey there, the facts are that things break & you happen to be unlucky but that in no way means that there is a serious problem. People usually only come here when things break. Angry? sure its understandable but it happens to almost everything - I just popped $180 for an amp repair (non-L6) but its no reason for burning it lollipop happens.

Your best solution is to open a Support Ticket and arrange for a trip to the Service Center.

Ok, another useless answer.  You should just not respond Cupcake unless it's helpful.  The fact is Line 6 support is non existent at best.  The product is resemblance of a Bic lighter (Disposable).    

Ok, another useless answer.  You should just not respond Cupcake unless it's helpful.  The fact is Line 6 support is non existent at best.  The product is resemblance of a Bic lighter (Disposable).    

It could something as simple as the input jack pcb or a cold solder joint or something as involved as mainboard failure on a component level. The amps are not really user serviceable.

Line 6 does not monitor these forums very actively and if you have done the usual re-flash routine and it doesn't work you have limited options.

So in lieu of insulting me take some active steps to resolve your problem.

Cupcake, the fact that you assume I am not capable of DIY servicing the amp is an insult. My Spider Jam is only a few years old and it has never left the house, never been abused, always covered when not in use and looks brand spankin new... I came here hopefully looking for shortcuts to repair a similar problem others are experiencing and that is why I asked originally if the problem was resolved.  After all, the thread goes back a couple years.  The Spider Jam amp is solid state and consists of several PCBs and power supply and these are plug and play components like a computer.  Open one up you'll see.  Unfortunately there are individuals here who think they are something and this is their social media making thousands of comments on things they know nothing about just rehashing old comments and recommending service departments. 

Anyone can recommend you take it to a service department and pay $120.00/Hr for someone to diagnose the amp then pay for parts as well..... If it were my 90s twin or my Dean Markley I might but ohh... Those old amps have never had a problem.

Funny thing is now I'm seeing these same disposable amps on craigslist for less than $200 (Marshall and VOX are probably helping that).   So is it worth the cost of the service department?? 

I would like to thank Brazzy for posting the FullCompass.com link.... Yes they are a part supplier to the public. 

• Downvote 1

I remember a thread where the user took apart his SJ and found that all he needed to do was wiggle or remove and reinstall some of the wiring connection as if one of them had a bad connection from either heat, maufacturing or heavy vibration. You might want to look into it if you get the inclination too. You probably know the drill "take precautions to prevent zapping yourself into the next life". 

It makes sense to me that with vibration and heat something can come loose or burn in there. I don't regularly work on guitar amplifiers but I worked with very similar stuff and know about mechanics and maufacturing.

I've been pretty fortunate with my Spider Jam as it still works good. I use it to practice and warm up before using my DT50HD. I'm by no means an expert player but have fun with music. If mine had an issue I would be examining the insides with a magnifying glass and try fixing it before I took it apart and used it for a cabinet.

Good luck and hope you get it going.

It wouldn't hurt to write a support ticket or call the techs at Line 6. You never know what they'll say until you ask. Ignore that if you already did.

I have the same problem with a brand new Spider V that arrived yesterday.

After unpacking it worked, later on after update no guitar sound at all. Factory reset, changing cable, instrument... updating once more and trying headset jack - no sound from speaker nor headset. Only drumloops working.

I am afraid having to wait up to 20 days for echange via dealer.

I have the same problem with a brand new Spider V that arrived yesterday.

After unpacking it worked, later on after update no guitar sound at all. Factory reset, changing cable, instrument... updating once more and trying headset jack - no sound from speaker nor headset. Only drumloops working.

I am afraid having to wait up to 20 days for echange via dealer.

I've seen this pop up here a few times for the V. A few seem to have had the headphone jack disconnect mute the output and another had to connect the FBV so the "increase vol" signal was sent. Without having one: Not sure if you can roll back the update to the working state but thankfully you have a warranty so do not open it up. It very well could be that the firmware did not take - some older amps (vetta) would be bricked by a firmware install fail. If you try a reflash and there was an option to overwrite all patches I would select it.

Things I look at if firmware reflashing/reset does not work.

Some of the Spider Jam Issues can be different and they need to have a signal trace done if the standard reflash, reset doesn't work. Off the input pcb (IIRc the TL jfet) in -> DSP and out of the DSP to the power section. L6 devices typically have the tuner see the signal first (like an X3L for ex) so that "can" hint at a input assembly issue if the tuner doesn't work or if  the aux in is amplified still (if the aux bypassed the DSP as there is no need to route it through there) the power module can be good  which leads back to lack of a signal from the main processor. Then it gets tough as VRs get hot and solder joints can be bad but only when hot. Being that most of the components are smd,  which mere humans do not have the training or equipment to remove, sometimes it is more cost effective for board replacement. A Champ style circuit can be soldered together in ~ week but one of these is post-graduate work.

So keep the faith!

B

@BillBee Thanks for your thoughts. I did not plan to buy a FBV since the Spider V should first of all be  a rehearsal amp.

Well, I tried that plug-unplug method of the headset but even on the headset no guitar sound.

I have already done a factory reset via HomeMenu.

The Line6 Technical Sevice is proposing doing the update once more and the factory reset.

I hve started with the FW update via Spider Remote App, OTG cable over Wifi that worked out so far.

After that no sound. Trying the Update Tool ober Win10 worked out as well, then factory reset but no change.

This evening I will check it out once more before returning the amp to the dealer and I have doubts with an exchange

because I do not want to run the risk to have that problem over time and/or with every possible update.

For me this seems to be problem in they productline generally and no flaws of single devices, isn't it?

@BillBee Thanks for your thoughts. I did not plan to buy a FBV since the Spider V should first of all be  a rehearsal amp.

Well, I tried that plug-unplug method of the headset but even on the headset no guitar sound.

I have already done a factory reset via HomeMenu.

The Line6 Technical Sevice is proposing doing the update once more and the factory reset.

I hve started with the FW update via Spider Remote App, OTG cable over Wifi that worked out so far.

After that no sound. Trying the Update Tool ober Win10 worked out as well, then factory reset but no change.

This evening I will check it out once more before returning the amp to the dealer and I have doubts with an exchange

because I do not want to run the rusk to have that problem over time and/or with every possible update.

For me this seems to be problem in they productline generally and no flaws of single devices, isn't it?

Its tough to say "if" pressured I would guess at the least it may have been a bad batch if it turns out to be a component issue. Reflashing always has me on edge even though 95+% of the time it works. But that 5% of times it doesn't is exceptionally frustrating and I have sympathy for anyone going through that.

I would hope that the replacement (if needed) might be updated prior to you taking possession and any warranty period extended.

If re-loading software won't do it, then it's time for a service center.

Regarding Spider Jam,... could be a failed chip or loose connection on the guitar input circuit.

Do not try to fix it yourself, there's a lot of stuff to this product. It will need a qualified authorized

service tech to deal with it.

Regarding Spider V,... that posting ought to be with the other Spider V postings.

With that said, the Spider V should be taken in to an authorized service center, as it is likely still under

warranty, and should be look at by a qualified service technician. Chances are it is a failure for reasons

different than what would be for a Spider Jam. In spite of them both being amps, these are very different

products. A failure on one isn't necessarily the same as the other.

In both cases, before taking it to an authorized service, log a ticket in your account to get any

such process started.