Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Review of Metal Pack

steele666

I play a newer Ibanez Destroyer with Tone Zone/Air Norton combo, I use light strings and have the action set medium low. Overall I was disappointed in this. I may purchase it again when the bugs are ironed out.

So here's my review:

Panama (5150) amp was alright, my problem was it didnt sound much like a 5150 (needs to have the sheffield 4x12, which line 6 didnt model) My biggest complaint with this amp is it was always ALWAYS clipping. It's the only amp in the bunch that I literally could not dial out the digital clipping even with nothing else in the chain it was clipping. I don't use a crazy high gain pickup, it's just a Tone Zone/Air Norton combo.

Next up is the Bogner, this amp was ok, no digital clipping BUT its not high gain. This needed a pedal and a ton of tweaking to get anywhere near high gain and frankly wasnt worth my time, as it was deep and boomy and I thought the Engl does a better job

Onto the 2204 (remastered JCM 800) This amp was AWESOME!!! It sounded exactly how an 800 should. If I could buy just one amp from the amp pack it would be this, I loved it. It was a fire breathing monster that reminded me of everything I love about 80's shredders.Unfortunately I cant justify spending that money for just one amp model.

The other amps were all ok, they sounded like they did in my POD XT Live, maybe a little more high res because of the cabs. The biggest problem I found was these amps didnt play nice with the new cabs so it took a ton of tweaking, luckily these amps didnt clip.

Clearly there's an issue with this software update because I never had clipping issues before and it was so bad it literally made the 5150 unplayable which is a damned shame. I might try the Vintage pack next 

Man I agree with you. I found that the metal pack is a bit useless, but anyway, which higain amp isn't without tweaking? For the moment I enjoy the bass pack, and tweed more than anything. But I am sure I will find usefull tones on all the amps sooner or later (and with help from Hurghanico and Meambobbo).

I did, i had to run the DEP Master at about 6% to avoid clipping, but when set that low it seemed to suck out some of the fullness of the tone, and left it sterile and trebly. I had to crank the volume to 100% to try and add it back but it just didnt work.  

I'm loving the metal pack. I agree about the Shiva - it's not easy to dial in. The knobs don't react in a logical way, even less so than the uberschall. The treble and presence controls aren't making any sense to me as they don't seem to change values in a linear fashion at all. It's like they're doing some kind of parabolic sweep that I can't wrap my mind around. Maybe someone can do a guide up for it? Because I was looking forward to the hot/high-gain plexi-style  tone these are known for, but dialing it in seems like too much work. This is exactly why I wanted the XTC instead. :P

That said, I like both the 5150 and the new jcm800. Lots of gain, and great tone. What surprised me though is how much I love the Big-Bottom, and ESPECIALLY the Purge! The Purge model is just AMAZING. All in all, it was money well spent!

I would love to see Line 6 take after the iTunes model for music selection.

Let the end user cherry-pick the amp models they want , so you don't have to spend the bread for stuff you are never going to use. I would love to get the new & improved JCM 800 and the 5150, but couldn't care less about the others. I doubt I'll purchase either model pack. The customer is always right!

• Upvote 2

lets vote the idea up....

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Sell-Amp-and-Effects-models-individually-in-an-online-store/714980-23508?submitted=1

show them that it's what people want!

I would love to see Line 6 take after the iTunes model for music selection.

Let the end user cherry-pick the amp models they want , so you don't have to spend the bread for stuff you are never going to use. I would love to get the new & improved JCM 800 and the 5150, but couldn't care less about the others. I doubt I'll purchase either model pack. The customer is always right!

• Upvote 2

I'm loving the metal pack. I agree about the Shiva - it's not easy to dial in. The knobs don't react in a logical way, even less so than the uberschall. The treble and presence controls aren't making any sense to me as they don't seem to change values in a linear fashion at all. It's like they're doing some kind of parabolic sweep that I can't wrap my mind around. Maybe someone can do a guide up for it? Because I was looking forward to the hot/high-gain plexi-style tone these are known for, but dialing it in seems like too much work. This is exactly why I wanted the XTC instead. :P

That said, I like both the 5150 and the new jcm800. Lots of gain, and great tone. What surprised me though is how much I love the Big-Bottom, and ESPECIALLY the Purge! The Purge model is just AMAZING. All in all, it was money well spent!

Huh...so far the Shiva is one of my favorites. I'm not using it for ultra-high gain tones though. But with the tube compressor and tube drive in front, I find it works especially well with the mags on the 69 (which I previously didn't use much at all), especially the neck, and neck/middle positions...punchy, cuts through nicely for leads.

Huh...so far the Shiva is one of my favorites. I'm not using it for ultra-high gain tones though. But with the tube compressor and tube drive in front, I find it works especially well with the mags on the 69 (which I previously didn't use much at all), especially the neck, and neck/middle positions...punchy, cuts through nicely for leads.

I want it to be a favorite. I was really close to buying an XTC Red disortion pedal just to get that juicey bogner lead tone, but have been holding off because I figure I could get ballpark with the forth-coming Shiva channel, but it's just not there. It's bumming me out. Granted, the XTC Red pedal's got some switches that shape its tone a bit. I tend to use 20th aniversary settting, tight pre eq setting, and the variac setting, so granted I'm using some of the tweaks it's got built in, but from all the clips and research I can find the shiva's like a tighter/brighter XTC so I thought I could get there.

I may still actually be able to get there, but the darned controls just don't react linearly. There seems to be a lot, and mean A LOT of interaction between them, instead of treble being JUST more treble, and presence being JUST more presence. Twist one of those knobs and the whole character of the amp changes, and to me at least, not in an entirely logical and predictable way, at least with the gain cranked up on it anyways.

If the XTC Red pedal is any indication, the B/M/T/P controls on it react in a logical and linear fashion. So if somebody understands how these controls interact and can explain it, it would be great as I still don't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks for that boutique pedal, even though the SOB is dripping with awesome tone!

The saving grace is the Purge model, which is hotrodded marshall tone that I can't get enough of. Just wish I could get the Shiva to give me the hotrodded plexi tones I'm after like the Purge is giving me the hotrodded marshall action!

• 9 months later...

Bought and downloaded today the metal pack, for my hd500x, and I'm really happy and impressed. Don't know why some people had issues, because the pack is easy to upload to the pedal and to tweak on the computer.

After playing for a couple of hours with the 5150, the shiva and the jcm800 I can tell they all are worth the money spent.

I'm a gigging musician in a cover band and now I have new patches that matches better than before with some songs I play with my band.

I'm really impress with the jcm800 modeling, because it sound as good thru my frfr (ev zlx12p) as my actual jcm800 head thru a 4x12 1960a cab.