Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

found a few problems with Variax set list

Hey_Joe

Been messing with the Variax set list and I wonder if there's some bugs or corrupted patches in some of the presets.

Here's some potential problems I've found on my JTV69, JTV59 and HD500 and VDI - (I doubt it's just my equipment) with the Variax set list.

Here are some idiosyncrasies I have found - all created by Line 6:

1C Sitar - can't get any mag sound -

3C Banjo - same... - no mags audio

11C Guild 12 String... - no mag audio

minor problems:

11A Du Hast...  no JTV (shows old gen vax image) saved under VDI Input on HD500 Edit Mixer Page

15C Acoustic 5th - NO JTV model saved under Model spot on Mixer Page

I try to mute the channel that has the modeling and get zero audio out of the mag side of the patches I mentioned above that are dual with mags and modeled. Anybody else find these patches not working correctly or know of a solution? No big deal - but just trying to determine if the new FW update screwed up or the patches are corrupt.

can anyone else confirm same problems?

into the presets 1c 3c 11c there is an amp in path B with channel volume linked to the expression pedal and works backward, so if the pedal is at the max position no sound will pass through path B from the amp onward, going instead toward the min pedal position you should hear also the mags..

I tried with EXP Pedal 2 and get no sound, slight audio from mags on 1C - pedal at 30%(? I can almost here that treadplate) even tried to mute the modeled channel of the mixer and hear nothing on Path B unless I push the model selector on off knob. On 3C only get mags when I mute Path A and turn off DSP knob (on my 69).  Doesn't seem to be working like I think it's supposed to. I even tried DLing the Vax Set List you uploaded to check if my update was bad - same thing.

presets 15c probably wants to change only the tuning and not the guitar model..

After 2 days of the Model field being blank today it shows up as Acoustic 1 (not from your Variax set list but with the one I updated with v2.62)

preset 16a (not 11a) "Du Hast" probably shouldn't change any model or tuning

Just weird that there is no JTV saved in the patch...all factory tones have a JTV model saved with it - I only see this with Customtone Dls and old tones I created with older FW.

Much Thanks hurghanico for helping out...I still think there's a problem - but no big thing - who really cares - I'll make my own if I want to blend with the EXP Pedal as before. Also Edit keeps saving Son of Plexi tone in 1A of blank set lists.

Yeah, who knows what was intended by Line 6 with those patches...but as I remarked earlier in another thread about the Variax set list, IMHO the Variax set list tones are some of the most usable and sensible factory presets in the unit, just a little low on the volume and with a few oddities that I have found. It's all still a GOOD THING that Line 6 gave us the update and made some more optional amps available to us. I was mostly just thinking I had found some more things to report that Line 6 should be aware of as so called problems with the update if others experienced the same issues.

I agree with you C2 is nice - just wish I knew more how to play in alt tunings after all my years of playing (8 yrs old to 61). I was thinking of saving the set list and retuning the guitars to standard for my use and then some tweaking - "at the good starting point" - as you say. Nice stuff but wonder why the volume is so low on these tones, not that we can't fix that.

One thing I did notice with this setlist is that several of the patches (don't ask me to name them, I have only had about 20 minutes with the HD500 since upgrading) had effects in the paths that were switched off and which were not assigned to any switches, so couldn't be switched on.

I use the ABCD footswitch mode on my unit and noticed this as well. I wonder if some of the presets use the FS5-8 mode and that is why some of the effects that are off seems to have nothing to turn them off and on. I'm at work and can't check this out right now.

I was in ABCD mode, so I switched back to 5-8 mode and it made no difference - the effects were switched off and not assigned to any switches, which makes them unusable...

less while switched off they are not "true bypass" and are still affecting the signal path?

Still haven't had a chance to get back to it - acoustic rehearsal last night and my JTV wasn't allowed  :(

I went through the entire list last night and changed from JTV to 500 and also set all of them to "input 1 source : guitar+variax" and input 2 source : aux" 

I had never given the input source much thought before. I have read here on the forum that it is best to not have the 2 sources set to : SAME.

I notice a very big drop in presence and volume when input 2 source is shut down. Good and bad thing. It left me at a point of struggling to turn some of these patches up loud enough.

After going through the entire list, can't remember which one but one of the patches had no sound period, no matter what I did.

I also found the patch for "Come As U R" to be dead on. I love it! I had been tinkering and tweaking trying to get this sound right and L6 nailed it. It's found a permanent spot on my board.