Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Battery drain on THH06 transmitter

Anyone having any issues with battery drain on the THH06 transmitter?  I bought 2 units and one seems fine, the other doesn't seem to switch off properly (although it looks like it does).  Battery drains in about 8 hours even when switched off.  I had it replaced by the shop but the second one seems to be the same.  

Anyone got any thoughts?  I've raised a support ticket with Line 6 a week ago but haven't had any response.

Hi globalnation - are you UK based?  Just wondering if it's part of the same batch.  Line 6 have responded to my support ticket by just saying the unit must be faulty.  Given it's the second one and you've also got 2 units I'm guessing it must be part of the same batch.  My initial handset (which was ordered at the same time but received sooner as I think the shop were waiting for more units) works so I think that must have been part of a separate batch.

On another track I've got another forum post about switch to RF modes.  Do you know if yours are able to switch using the advised procedure? (http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/relay-digital-wireless/rf1rf2-mode-switching-frequencies-r130)

• 3 weeks later...

Me too! A couple of weeks ago I bought an XD-V75 set from Thomann in Germany. The handheld wouldn't switch off reliably (showed OFF and then a second later switched back on). Sometimes it would stay OFF but the battery continued to drain. I checked the firmware version and it was the latest but I noticed that there had been an earlier fix release which was specifically to address the issue ("with a small number of units"). So I tried that fix version - no change. Contacted L6 support who eventually said return the product or send to L6 service centre. Since the product was brand new I returned it to Thomann and a replacement arrived last week. This time the handheld always switches off fine but the battery continues to drain. I think it is time Line6 made an official response to this - I love the mic (I have an XD-V70 also) and I just want it to work without taking the batteries out all the time - it is not cool to set up for a gig and then when you go on stage to have to insert the batteries. This is a product which costs €498 . . .

I will raise another support ticket as that is the official route to go but it is time we got to the bottom of this . . .

LINE6 please respond . . .

It just seems that Don Boomer?? is well informed and helpful . . .

Anyway - support ticket raised.

It is helpful if problems being experienced by multiple customers get aired (and resolved) here so that everyone can find information.

I recently just purchased 2 line 6 xd-v75 and I also experiencing the same problem on both of them.  This is extremely annoying and I am thinking about returning the mics.  Hopefully Line 6 will be able to resolve this issue.

It just seems that Don Boomer?? is well informed and helpful . . .

Anyway - support ticket raised.

It is helpful if problems being experienced by multiple customers get aired (and resolved) here so that everyone can find information.

Any update on this?  I am thinking about returning my mics but just waiting to see if Line 6 will have a solution for this problem.

Just an update. I raised a support ticket and the response was simply that the unit had a fault and should be sent to a service centre. Since I had just bought it I contacted the vendor Thomann and it is on the way back to them. We shall see how the replacement behaves. In my opinion this seems like a batch of duff units so I hope the next one isn't the same. Don't know where you are Anhyeast but davepickard was UK based - maybe he also bought at Thomann or maybe it was a European shipment . . .

It is all a bit irritating - I have an XD-V70 which is great (except for the crappy plastic battery holder on the handheld which has twice snapped - expensively). My story started a month or so ago with buying an XD-V55 which simply stopped working after 3 days - returned it and upgraded to the 75 model, now two bummers and waiting for the 3rd . . . A sad story. I am a long term user with 2 Variaxes, a Vetta, 2 original PODs, a POD XT, a POD X3 and 2 Relays for my guitars. Great product innovation, sometimes quality a bit of a disappointment . . .

• 3 weeks later...

Further update. Received my third, yes THIRD XD-V75 from Thomann. Same problem - battery drains even when switched off. Excuse me Line6 but there is clearly a problem in manufacturing - maybe just one batch???? otherwise there would be even more on this thread.

Having raised the support ticket Line6 proposed sending the unit to a service centre and since I want to have this microphone and have it work I am, against my better nature, going to do this. Maybe they will do some wholesale replacement of parts or just send me one that works . . . I just hope it can be done quickly as I want to use this damn thing . . .

Thomann, it has to be said, have been great. I originally ordered the XD-V55 which had a fault!! I am now on my third XD-V75!! And Thomann have just kept shipping and returning products. Tick for Customer service.

I am sure somebody from Line6 is reading all this - I say to you Look into this problem - not everybody is as persistent as I am - many will just say - crap product or crap quality control . . .

LATEST UPDATE :

After experimenting a little I have discovered that the battery only drains after the microphone has been switched on and is then switched off.

So - put in new batteries, don't switch on, leave overnight - batteries still full.

Put in new batteries, switch mic on then switch off, leave overnight - batteries exhausted.

Put in new batteries, switch mic on then switch off, briefly remove one of the batteries and reinsert, leave overnight - batteries still full.

When this product came out there was a firmware fix issued shortly after to resolve a remarkably similar problem "with a small number of units"  - I guess once the firmware was running and the mic swicthed off that there was still something running in the background even though the display is switched off. This fix version of the firmware has now been superceded by a new "big" version - maybe the fix was lost . . .

Please Line6 take a look at this - I can send my mic into a Line6 support centre in France but my guess is that this not a problem they can solve with a specific unit . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Another UK unit here (bought via Studio Spares and delivered yesterday)

Batteries inserted yesterday to test and setup.

Unit switched on and off. Batteries left in.

This morning: batteries flat.

I've also picked up a second handset (used once) second hand which will arrive in the next day or two and will be testing that unit too before deciding how to proceed. I'll then decide whether to raise the ticket on the faulty handset or just live with its idiosyncrasies! If the second hand one doesn't display the error, I'll get the new one sorted, but if it does, less likely I'll bother.

In reality, removing the batteries after each usage is probably good housekeeping anyway, especially as the units will not be used day in day out. But it is rather frustrating. Knowing about it from day one is always better though as it could scupper a performance if you've not taken spare batteries.

Apart from a blown power supply in an L3s this is the first major issue I've had with L6 gear.

So my second handset arrived first thing this morning.

It's a separate handset (bought as such by the original purchaser), never used and only opened to photograph for fleabay.

Inserted the batteries to test at 11am this morning. Turned on and off several times. It's now 10:30pm and... the batteries are still full.

So, I have;

a handset that was part of a UK purchased XD-V75 system where the batteries are flat within 24 hours of it having been used

AND

a handset purchased as a separate where the batteries are NOT flat within 24 hours of it being used.

Seems to suggest a batch issue to me.

I'm reluctant at present to return the misbehaving one as, if it is batch related, the probability of receiving another dud in its place seems rather high.

Will currently await to see if anything is discovered by Line 6 that might explain it and take a view in a few weeks time.

• 1 month later...

Hi SiWatts and my commiserations. Finally it looks as though L6 are starting to take this seriously.

I remain with my 3rd XDV-75 in a row with the same problem (you are right not to just get a replacement). This time (via the support ticket system) L6 asked me to send it in to a service centre here in France (not L6 themselves but an authorised  centre). The L6 support man said it would be good to get the problem looked at properly. My tests with an ammeter had showed that when the mic was on it consumed about 215 mA and when it was off about 110 mA. Clearly and demonstrably abnormal behaviour. So I sent the mic in (€25 of my money too).

That was a month ago . . . . . . my mic is due back possibly today but, now get this, the idiot at the service centre told me he thought this was normal behaviour . . . that €2k Sennheisers did it . . . . that it was good practice to change batteries before a gig . . . . I held my breath and counted to 10 before gently explaining that using a set of batteries every time you use a mic, or removing batteries from a mic between sessions (especially rehearsals) is NOT NORMAL. So much for an authorised service centre. We agreed to differ.

Once the mic is back in my hands my support ticket will be reawakened and I will (again gently) suggest that L6 review their service centres and, more importantly find a way to ship me a mic which works when it is supposed to and takes a rest when it is supposed to.

ArneLine6 - I do hope you are looking into this - it is clear there is a problem with a batch on sale in Europe. It seems to me though that it is most likely a firmware issue (there had already been a problem like this which led to the 2.01 update). Put new batteries in and don't switch on - no drain. Switch on and off - drain.

Cheers from sunny France from somebody who has now waited 3 MONTHS to use his mic and who's patience is wearing out . . .

Hmm... I'm not in a position to measure electronics (wouldn't know where to start) but I definitely have two handsets that behave differently.

1) The one that came in the XD-V75HH set, purchased via studiospares is flat within 24 hours if the mic is switched on, then off and the batteries are left in

2) One that was bought second hand (though unused) via a popular auction site which has normal battery levels after 24 hours if the mic is switched on, then off and the batteries are left in

The second handset was originally picked up as a spare (I have two XD-V75 receivers as I use one for my sax with a TBP12) or for when I'm hiring out my PA and the client wants two wireless handsets, so it isn't exactly critical as I'm aware of the issue and can remove the batteries after usage, but it is frustrating.

Hi SiWatts - your situation is exactly like mine - I have an older XDV-75 HH which works superbly and it was the new set(s) which I had problems with. I have finally got my mic back from the service centre and they have replaced the handheld with a new one which has a completely different serial number and works just fine. I am convinced there was a batch of sets shipped out to Europe with a problem. I would like to think that my last dodgy mic will make its way back to Line6 with détails of its fault but given my experience with the service centre I doubt it very much.

Maybe the route for you though will be to raise a support ticket, convince the service folk that there is a problem and send it to the UK service centre who should replace the handheld with one that works . . . Sadly I don't think it likely that Studio Spares will swap only the mic.

Little question if you have a moment - how do you use the TBP12 with the saxo - what mic do you use?? I also play sax and am currently using a Samson clip-on which is noisy and not an awfully good sound either (ie not exactly ideal).

Cheers from sunny France

Richard

Little question if you have a moment - how do you use the TBP12 with the saxo - what mic do you use?? I also play sax and am currently using a Samson clip-on which is noisy and not an awfully good sound either (ie not exactly ideal).

I play Tenor and Bari. I have TWO TBP12's which I couple with AKG C519L clip ons.

On Tenor, I use a single AKG C519 which runs into the TBP12 with an adapter cable.

The AKG mics are TA3F (3 pin mini xlr) whereas the TBP12 is like a shure transmitter (TA4F).

Key to using the AKG with the Line 6 is to match the impedance. It isn't simply a case of getting a 3 pin to 4 pin cable.

I went through hoops to get mine sorted but got there eventually... I bought a cable someone "claimed" would convert and once I was sure it did work, I ripped it apart to discover what was going off. The graphic below shows what wiring is necessary, though for the direct TA3F to TA4F, there is no need to bridge between pins 2 and 3 inside the TA3F (as shown in the graphic);

http://line6.com/support/topic/12359-akg-c519ml-mic-with-xd-v75-and-tbp12-beltpack/

post-1842129-0-62348300-1427065799.png

On Bari I normally run two C519L mics. These first route into an AKG B29L minimixer which combines the two mic signals into a single signal, which in turn outputs via a standard XLR M connector. As the B29L provides the phantom to the mic, there's no special wiring needed to hook it up to the TBP12;

The XLR-F to TA4F cable is wired as:

XLR pin 1 = TA4F pin 1 (cable shield)

XLR pin 2 = TA4F pin 3 (audio +)

XLR pin 3 = TA4F pin 1 (audio -)

No connection to TA4F pin 2 or pin 4

This wiring is identical to the Shure WA310 connector

Key to using the AKG mics is getting the cable right.

Personally, I quite like the AKG's. They're not too expensive but still give a really good tonality. But, I haven't tried any of the more expensive offerings from AMT, DPA or SD Systems.

I've played around with the setup over time, running a B29L on both saxes and unplugging/plugging in to the [belt clipped] TBP12 (not recommended unless you first mute the TBP12 as you get a big condenser mic "pop") but in the end, to simplify matters, just got a second TBP12 so I have a transmitter on each sax, did away with the B29L on the tenor and then just turn off one transmitter and turn on the second when switching between the two. That way, I just run both into the same receiver on the same channel. I'm also considering reverting to just a single C519L on Bari so I can ditch the B29L on that too, which should normalise the volume/gain between the two instruments.

Cheers from sunny France

Lucky you ;-) It's currently peeing it down in the UK! So much for summer!

Hi again SiWattas. Thought I'd replied but apparently it got lost . . .Thanks for your super-detailed reply - sounds like you've tried lots of options and found a good one. Just got to find myself a few more centimes and give it a go . . A bit fed up of my sax sounding like the Sooty and Sweep show (for the oldies who remember it).

And apologies to everyone else for having wandered off thread . . . bloody irritating . . .

Cheers

Richard

• 1 month later...

At last, an Australian example of this battery drainage fault in a THH12 purchased in September 2015.  Ours was drawing current of 80mA after switch-off.  I delivered it to the Australian distributor/service agent who replaced the mainboard and had it ready for pickup by the following business day.  Thanks to Damien from the Australis Music Group.  Thanks also to rborsey for the helpful analysis and narrative earlier in this forum topic.  Australis had seen this fault only once before, but found it again in a new unit which they pulled from stock for comparison with ours.  Nevertheless, not a common fault.  I now look forward to using this excellent bit of gear on a regular basis.

I think it worth stressing that the battery drain issue in no way affects the usuability of the mics or their performance.

It just introduces a little "niggle" into their longer term usage... needing to remove the batteries after each usage. Mine don't get used frequently anyway, so it is good practise to remove batteries anyway.

On a positive note, Line6 directly intervened with my situation, initiated a return (without me needing to do anything) and I now have a perfect second handset. Thanks Line6... above and beyond!

Just about to spend £3,000 on THH systems, was going place the order first thing tomorrow here in Norwich, UK.

I've had one system on trial for the last 3 weeks and it's been fantastic, it has outclassed my PG58 systems in every way, but one, it eats batteries overnight when it has been switched off. At first I thought it was just me but now I've read all these blogs of the same problem over the last few months, I might just take my business else where.

Line 6 do not seem to be bothered to put a proper fix in place, which is a shame because the product is excellent in every way, robust construction, steadfast wireless connectivity, and earth shattering vocal performance.

In which case you almost certainly have a handset which exhibits the issue witnessed by others of us.

BUT... if the battery drain is your only complaint, why ditch the idea? Line6 resolved mine without any quibble. I'd suspect that there is a batch issue, but don't quote me on that. The nature of batch issues is that there is no "fix" they can put in place. Report the fault you have and it gets dealt with. You can't really say fairer than that.

Mine went back via the UK service agent in Milton Keynes and the *replacement* was with me in a 2 weeks. I returned the standalone handset (without the receiver) along with it's softcase and mic clip and received the same back in return.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water... it's a really great product. Even with the battery drain concern, the mic still performs every way it should.

The ONLY comment I'd make is to try and ensure your chosen retailer does not provide you from their own stock... chances are, if it is a batch issue, that they may all be affected in the same way AND that you make them aware that you are aware of the ongoing issue and that you will not accept any which exhibit this behaviour. You could even ask for them to all be tested before despatch! At worst it costs you a day and a few pairs of AA batteries.

• 7 months later...

hi...i also just purchased the xd v35 system from thomann.i live in spain and gig 6 nites a week.after weeks of using this mic and having to change the batteries for every show i came across this thread.gonna try removing batteries every nite and see how long they last.very annoying fault ..obviously i got one from the dodgy batch

hi...i also just purchased the xd v35 system from thomann.i live in spain and gig 6 nites a week.after weeks of using this mic and having to change the batteries for every show i came across this thread.gonna try removing batteries every nite and see how long they last.very annoying fault ..obviously i got one from the dodgy batch

For clarification, this issue is with the handset sent out with the VD-V75 system. I don't know if it is the same handset in your V35.

In reality though, a pair of quality batteries lasts me around 6-7 hours, whether it be in my THH06's OR in my TBP12 beltpacks.