Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New HD Amp bundle for FIREHAWK FX too?

ChristianArnold

• 2 weeks later...

What are the chances of getting a polyphonic pitch-shifting effect? Has Line 6 made effects available for download/purchase on the POD HD500/HD X? "Bender" and "Smart Harmony" are great for single notes, but sound horrible when I play chords. Am I the only guitarist that needs a multi-effects processor that can be used for drop tuning? Right now I have to use "The Ring Thing" by Electro-Harmonix to change my tuning, but it would be SOOO nice if the Firehawk could be updated to accomodate this request. I will buy it if they will make it available! ...otherwise, the Firehawk sounds great!

I am curious (but admittedly uninformed) about poly-phonic pitch shifting FX. Are there any such devices by any manufacturer that do this well?

Seems to me a difficult task. Easy enough with one note - the device can easily determine the single pitch and alter it accordingly. But with a guitar chord, including up to six distinct pitches and all the harmonic overtones that go along with them..... seems to me a rather complex and perhaps time consuming analysis. I think the result would be a discordant mess delivered with an unacceptable delay. I would expect it to sound pretty much like you describe - horrible.

But, perhaps there are some that do the job well?

I am curious (but admittedly uninformed) about poly-phonic pitch shifting FX. Are there any such devices by any manufacturer that do this well?

Seems to me a difficult task. Easy enough with one note - the device can easily determine the single pitch and alter it accordingly. But with a guitar chord, including up to six distinct pitches and all the harmonic overtones that go along with them..... seems to me a rather complex and perhaps time consuming analysis. I think the result would be a discordant mess delivered with an unacceptable delay. I would expect it to sound pretty much like you describe - horrible.

But, perhaps there are some that do the job well?

Thanks for the reply! In the late 90's, I had a DigiTech Legend II which, using the Whammy effect, delivered great polyphonic pitch-shifting. I mainly used the "2nd Down" setting. Every other DigiTech product since (including the 2120 Artist & RP1000), have sounded pretty much like Line 6 "Bender". Currently, I am using "The Ring Thing" by Electro-Harmonix which works beautifully, but it is an extra pedal to have to hook up and introduces limitations as far as being able to change Firehawk presets and pitch in a single stomp. I believe Electro-Harmonix has now released a new product called "Pitch Fork" that has polyphonic pitch-shifting with really fast tracking to handle chords. Like I said, I would gladly pay if Line 6 were to offer something like this for download.