Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ok, new JCM 800 gives virtually perfect Slash tone

medievil1

Me on right, original's left track on left... used haas effect to blend them

brit 2204 with a tube driver in front (Amp B 82,m 60,t 60,p 0 gain about 35%, volume 50%.. tube drive all tones @ 50%, outputs  about 50%, drive 20% or so).. did not mess with any amp or Cab DEP nor change the cab or mic

Hd 500 is ran thru a pod UX2 (Because I have global EQ set to a 2.5k 3.5db cut, q is 1.6)

in the DAW (Reaper) I have an EQ set for a low cut of 100 and a high cut of 6k... both taper off.. the high cut tapers all the way to 10k and the low cut down to about 50hz and I have a plate reverb in the DAW

ignore the bad playing..been about a year since I played the song and my memory was not so great

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=13099395&q=hi

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

How does the new JCM compare to the SLO in overall sound quality?  Maybe not Slash-like sound specifically, but just overall sound.  I use the SLO Crunch because, to me, it sounds most like the Crunch channel on my Marshall combo amp.  I love the SLO sound, but I'm real tempted to get the Metal pack just to try the new JCM and the 5150.

• 1 year later...

I been using this model lately for an all round rock tone. 

I have tweaked the DEP settings Master full but mainly matching mic with low decay, low resonance etc to make it as dry as possible. and a booster.

The Amp gain and EQ at only a quarter with the mid up. Gives a realistic ACDC tone even without booster on Les Paul as well as cleans up nicely with single coil strat, moreso with volume rolled off.

I have a short delay one side of the Amp block to give a room feel and a 63 spring reverb for the spanky stuff.

It does funk well too and I try out phasers etc in front of it.

I think I'd pick this amp if it was the only one to choose from.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to trying this one this weekend. Gotta say this is a really great tip to nail that tone. I setup amp settings as described other that getting a bit more gain for my guitars. The tone wasn't that good UNTIL I went back and reread the bit about the EQ high end roll off.  So I wanted to do it all on the POD directly. I got a studio EQ and rolled off the lows below the 75hz setting, something I normally do with most of the amps. Then rolled off the highs at 8k (highest setting on the studio EQ) and bam their it was. Great basic rock tone.  Also tried this high roll off on several other amps and on most it worked really good. Thanks for the tips. Now to try this when I get time on the DT amp and see what kind of difference it makes there. I wonder if part of the reason I really like my DT is some sort of high roll off that is occuring naturally.

Me on right, original's left track on left... used haas effect to blend them

brit 2204 with a tube driver in front (Amp B 82,m 60,t 60,p 0 gain about 35%, volume 50%.. tube drive all tones @ 50%, outputs  about 50%, drive 20% or so).. did not mess with any amp or Cab DEP nor change the cab or mic

Hd 500 is ran thru a pod UX2 (Because I have global EQ set to a 2.5k 3.5db cut, q is 1.6)

in the DAW (Reaper) I have an EQ set for a low cut of 100 and a high cut of 6k... both taper off.. the high cut tapers all the way to 10k and the low cut down to about 50hz and I have a plate reverb in the DAW

ignore the bad playing..been about a year since I played the song and my memory was not so great

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=13099395&q=hi

Hello, I've tried the settings above but could not produce the sound in the link. :) Mine was pretty clean. :) I tried increasing the drive on the tube driver and only then I got a distorted tone above ~40%. Could you advise if I may have missed something? Much thanks!

Hello, I've tried the settings above but could not produce the sound in the link. :) Mine was pretty clean. :) I tried increasing the drive on the tube driver and only then I got a distorted tone above ~40%. Could you advise if I may have missed something? Much thanks!

It was pretty clean for me as well with the setting mentioned, that is likely just differences in the guitar and connections. Turn up the output (not drive) on the tube driver first. That will hit the front of the amp model harder. Then adjust the drive between the drive on the tube driver and/or amp to taste. 

Thanks Palico! I played around with it as you have advised. A bit honky, I think, but that's all I was able to do for now. Maybe I'll tweak it more in the coming days.

https://soundcloud.com/vantonilin/slither

Nice! Yea I'm still tweaking mine. I think they key to controlling the mid range is going to be the EQ. The original poster indicated a taper EQ from 6k to 10k using his DAW tools. I could not find any EQ in the POD that would do that exactly. Might just take some playing with it to find exactly what you are after. Tweaking this one myself still some.