Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any one had experience with fitting an sustainer to a variax?

Hello everyone,

I've been wondering for a good while now as to the possibility of fitting a sustainer (Such as the fernandes sustainer) into a JTV 89.

Has anyone had any experience with this? The variax wizardy already takes up a large section of the body and i'm assuming cutting more of it away will detract from the sound - how much i don't know, i'm pretty sure I personally wouldn't hear the difference.

It'd be good to hear of any experience on the subect, it's a mod i'd love to have especially on a guitar as versatile as the variax!

Cheers Guys!

Doesn't really answer your question, per se, but the Parker Adrian Belew signature that they used to make came with the Variax guts and a Sustainiac pickup, so if they fit everything in that guitar, I'd assume it could be done with the 89.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FlyABvxOr/

If that had JTV guts in it, it would be the ultimate guitar, haha.

@Phil, thanks! It does help, if someone has done it before then it gives me confidence this isn't a bad idea. I hadn't found anything on Google nor this forum about it beforehand.

I'll post again if i go ahead with it, regardless as to whether it works or not.

Thanks again

...The Adrian Belew Signature includes a complete Variax system that is nearly identical to that offered by Line 6 (25 stringed-instrument models, 50 presets, 10 user-definable locations). All of this is accessed via the traditional piezo-volume control and a five-way switch. The guitar can also be used in "magnetic" mode by lifting up the Variax control. This option bypasses the Variax, and offers, via the five-way: bridge humbucker, bridge hum/piezo, piezo, neck humbucker/piezo, and neck humbucker settings....

...The Adrian Belew Signature includes a complete Variax system that is nearly identical to that offered by Line 6 (25 stringed-instrument models, 50 presets, 10 user-definable locations). All of this is accessed via the traditional piezo-volume control and a five-way switch. The guitar can also be used in "magnetic" mode by lifting up the Variax control. This option bypasses the Variax, and offers, via the five-way: bridge humbucker, bridge hum/piezo, piezo, neck humbucker/piezo, and neck humbucker settings....

Exactly. The configuration is more in depth as well, something I don't get why they don't do on the JTVs, especially the ability to split humbuckers or use the piezos without modeling. 

Parker Flys are also really nice guitars.