Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Not how to upgrade to 2.0 on the DT25- but what do after?

splitsurround

Hi guys. I have a dt25 combo, and am going to update to 2.0. I know I need to buy a midi interface, upgrade drivers on it, use line 6 monkey, and cross my fingers and dive in. It's after that that I'm wondering about.

How exactly do you all switch between all the new amps, reverbs, etc? I know there's iOS apps, which seem to be the easiest solution for me. So my question is: am I correct in thinking that if I do the upgrade correctly, then all I need to do is buy the app ( which app do y'al recommend?) and that's it? Leave the midi interface continually plugged in, and then I can switch all the goodness on the app?

Do I have to program the app, or can I rock straight away once I download it?

Thanks gang. I was considering selling this amp because of this hassle. Generally I'm leaning towards paring down, making things easier, but this amp sounds so good, I want to give it a solid try to enable all of its functionally - if, in fact, using that new functionality isn't a pain in the lollipop.

Thanks!

well first the good news... once you update you can use the app to configure 8 different amp/cab/mic configurations, 4 on each channel, just the way you want them. 

now the bad news... well, actually there isn't any! You can easily switch between any of the 8 amps by changing channels and using the topology switch.

OK there is a small problem... only two amp knob positions can be active at any time, one in channel A and one in B. Their positions are not saved in the DT.  That means when you change amps with the topology switch the knobs remain exactly where they are physically.  If you go from a cranked Blackface to a Treadplate it can rip yer face off.

However, If you pair it up with an HD500 all knob positions and amp/cab/mic parameters are saved with each patch...

• Upvote 1

you DO need the app to be able to configure your DT in the first place but after that it becomes a regular two channel tube amp with 4 different amps available to each channel.  There is no idiot's guide as such but if you use the DT manual and the HD Model Gallery you should be able to figure it all out...

I don't know for sure its an iPad app, it is for OSX though.  There are others for Windows too.  Can anyone else confirm if there is an iPad app to edit your DT by midi?  Is there even a midi device that can connect with an iPad?

Has anyone tried to use an m-audio controller for the update? Rather than spend $40 on an uno, I'd prefer to use the gear I have. Thanks.

You'll know right away if it won't work.  Usually L6 monkey will see the DT, but if not you can coax it by using the drop down to change devices.

I have used my old EMU1820 to update a lot of Line 6 firmware...Flextone III XL, XT, SV MK2, DT50, DT25, HD400 and HD Desktop...I have used the UNO also when I have been away from my old DAW...If you have a midi interface, it should work...Some midi interfaces have an echo setting that needs to be turned off....Edirol is the only one I recall that ever had that problem...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am still a bit confused. Right now, I only have the DT25, and I love it. I plan to get an HD500 or something similar in the future, but right now, the DT25 is the only Line6 device I have. What I don't understand is, how do I access all of this new functionality with only the DT25? I have heard that I can store eight different tone stacks in each of the four settings, but how would I access them and use them?

you have to use the midi interface... and the easiest way is one of the 3rd party apps pinned to the top of theses forums...

but you have to use midi otherwise....

step one get a midi interface (preferably m-audio UNO for most reliability) step 2 update to 2.0 step 3 download apps mentioned above...

step 4 launch app.... step 5 select topology... step 6 use app to make changes you want to that topology step 7 repeat for any other topologies of your choosing.

I am still a bit confused. Right now, I only have the DT25, and I love it. I plan to get an HD500 or something similar in the future, but right now, the DT25 is the only Line6 device I have. What I don't understand is, how do I access all of this new functionality with only the DT25? I have heard that I can store eight different tone stacks in each of the four settings, but how would I access them and use them?

Understood...I actually have no questions regarding the upgrade process...my question was more along the lines of how the amp operates after the v2 update.  It's been said that v2 allows you to have 8 amps available, but how do I access them if I'm standing on a stage?  Here's my understanding of it, please let me know if I am wrong:

In v1, there are 4 amp models stored in the DT25 to choose from, they are shared by both channels, and only 4 amp models in total are available, with only 2 of them available for use without touching the amp (i.e., using a footswitch).

In v2, there are 8 amp models stored in the DT25 to choose from, they are not shared by both channels (channel 1 has 4 amps available and channel 2 has 4 different amps available), and an amp model assigned to, for instance, channel one selection IV, cannot be used on channel 2 and vice versa.  It also still remains true that you can only access 2 of them without touching the amp (i.e., using a footswitch).

Lastly, to configure and assign these amps, you must use 3rd party software and a USB to Midi cable (I already have an UNO cable).

Do I have it right?  Also, what are you referring to by "topology?"  Is that referring to the channel controls (gain, EQ, channel volume, presence and reverb) or the switches (class, etc.)?

It's still a 2 channel amp. You can use a foot switch to go between the two channels. You can merely alter the default amp on the topologies. This won't give you 8 amps available in a live setting because the amps react wildly different to knob positions. It is not suddenly an 8 channel amp.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, but that wouldn't likely work in any kind of live environment.. since each amp reacts very differently to the controls...

the main thing is that you can select whatever you want on channel A and channel B for when you are using the amp by itself.

it's best not to think of it as being able to pull up 8 amp models....

you can select all 8 of your choices from the front of the amp... BUT trust me when i say... you'll be adjusting them to taste and not likely be satisfied with what you'd dialed in from your previous selection.

In theory can you have say "Ch 1" setup for 4 different clean tones, and have Channel 2 be setup for overdriven tones all of which share the same eq settings per channel? And then recall them with a good midi foot controller?

RealZap,

Thank you for you input. It's greatly appreciated.

I do have a follow up question to what you said. If you have a midi controller that can send 10 CC's or more and assign Controller Messages like so;

CC #1 Amp Channel

CC #2 Choose Topology

CC #3 Set Channel Vol

CC #4 Set Drive/Gain

And then CC's to adjust EQ Settings

Do you think this feasible?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

as long as you don't mind popping noises and inconsistent use from model to model... sure...

it's possible... just absolutely not practical....

not to mention a liquid foot controller can costs loads more than a pod hd.... making it a further impracticality...

• 4 years later...

I just bought a DT25 and tried to update via the HD500X but couldn’t. I ended up using a Midisport 1x1 interface. Luckily I can also plug the interface into my iPad with a Lightning/USB adapter lead and then use TouchOSC and the Line6 supplied template to configure and tweak the amp where ever I am.

The TouchOSC template is pretty comprehensive and makes things easy. Very weird tapping things on an iPad and seeing the lights on the DT25 shift as it changes channels, voicings and valve modes.

I'm sure any cheap MIDI interface would work and the app is only £4.99. Worth it for the ease of use and the fact you can take it to a rehearsal room or even a gig.

D4745645-E326-49B8-A696-6F70F2840A6A.png

thank you so much but i dont do apple. just like to know if i have to buy the midi interface or if i can use my pod 500 to update the amp. or even to check what firmware it has, if it's already updated then i would have bought the midi interface for nothing :)

thanks again for the help

well, since nobody really answered I went ahead and purchased the m-audio uno usb midi interface and updated my dt25 combo to v. 2.0 without a hitch,

now my ignorant question is: will I have need or future use for the midi interface enough to keep it, or can I just return it and be done with it?

Will i need it to now access the new features of the updated dt25 combo amp? How do I do that?

Hopefully someone will be kind enough to help, can't find this info anywhere through google.

thank you so much

• 1 month later...
On May 9, 2020 at 5:35 PM, spaceboy68 said:

well, since nobody really answered I went ahead and purchased the m-audio uno usb midi interface and updated my dt25 combo to v. 2.0 without a hitch,

now my ignorant question is: will I have need or future use for the midi interface enough to keep it, or can I just return it and be done with it?

Will i need it to now access the new features of the updated dt25 combo amp? How do I do that?

Hopefully someone will be kind enough to help, can't find this info anywhere through google.

thank you so much

Questions are do you want to change the existing 4 amps the DT25 does out of the box or will you see yourself wanting change say for example the high gain amp for some other amp? How long would you stick to that? Also are you using the amp stand alone or with a HD500(x) or Helix? 

Jd