Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider 4 15 with a distortion pedal

danielg999

Hi,

I am still pretty new to playing guitars/ musical equipment etc. so chances are that I am understanding this wrong.

I have a Line 6 Spider 4 15 amp and a Boss DS2 Distortion pedal.

My original thought was that pressing the pedal would switch between 'clean' and 'distorted' sound, however it does not quite work like I expected it to. 

With the 'clean' amp mode selected on the amp, pressing down the pedal does hardly generate any distortion on the other hand when the 'metal' amp model is selected the sound is pretty good with the pedal on but pressing down the pedal does not fully 'switch off' the distortion.

Is there a way to easily switch between clean/not distorted and distorted sound using the pedal and this amp?

Many thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Would you be able to provide any advice on best amp settings to use when switching the pedal on and off (pressing the pedal)?

So far I found that it's better to use the metal setting and try to create a clean sound when switching off the pedal rather than using the clean setting and attempt to set the amp to create distortion when the pedal is switched on.  But there is still a fair amount of distortion left when the pedal is switched off when using the metal setting.  If I reduce the drive for example to make the 'clean' sound cleaner, when I switch the pedal back on, the distorted sound does not sound as good.

I am just a little bit confused and can not really figure out how to make the sound completely clean with the pedal off and nicely distorted with the pedal on.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Start with the clean sound on the amp, get that how you want it )pedal turned off).  Then turn the pedal on and adjust the pedal (not amp) settings.  You may find that the pedal does NOT give you the sound you are looking for by itself (in which case you have to compromise between amp clean and distorted settings.)

Hi,

I am still pretty new to playing guitars/ musical equipment etc. so chances are that I am understanding this wrong.

I have a Line 6 Spider 4 15 amp and a Boss DS2 Distortion pedal.

My original thought was that pressing the pedal would switch between 'clean' and 'distorted' sound, however it does not quite work like I expected it to. 

With the 'clean' amp mode selected on the amp, pressing down the pedal does hardly generate any distortion on the other hand when the 'metal' amp model is selected the sound is pretty good with the pedal on but pressing down the pedal does not fully 'switch off' the distortion.

Is there a way to easily switch between clean/not distorted and distorted sound using the pedal and this amp?

Many thanks in advance!

The pedal will alter the tone of the amp, but it's not a channel switcher. In other words, you can add gain/distortion via the pedal to a clean amp tone, but if the amp is set to a super-saturated high gain tone, the pedal can't turn that off because it's not generating it in the first place.