Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pairing FX100 or Firehawk with an amp

InlawJosieWales

After reading/hearing about this all day from multiple individuals, my head is swimming a bit. Basically, I need to buy an amp (currently playing through old mono output power mixer and passive EV speakers) and was looking at several Fender amps. Some have told me amps without an effects loop input and output will not work/sound horrible with either the FX100 or the Firehawk, while others have said it wouldn't matter. Basically, I would like to have a native, clean and classic Fender sound but be able to play with all of the different cabs, amps, and effects contained in the two mod units as well. Are these two mutually exclusive things without an effects loop built in (e.g. Fender SuperChamp X2 or Blues Jr. III)? If so, which amps should I be looking at instead? Then someone else told me to plug FX100 or Firehawk directly into powered speakers such as EV makes but it seems weird to not have a guitar amp when I play as much as I do...Any help is appreciated very much!,,

these are modelers and thus recreate the complete final tone including amp cab and mic.  That is why they generally work best with a full range flat response system like a pair of powered speakers like the EV's you mentioned.  They can be played through guitar amps but will definitely benefit from the FX loop to bypass the amp's internal preamp.  Guitar speakers have a naturally limited range and will color anything you put through them.  If you also want to be able to use the amps internal preamp you will HAVE to have a FX loop to do the 4 cable method hookup.  Google it, there are plenty of instructional videos out there.  If you really need the 4CM then I would suggest the Firehawk rather than the FX100 just so you can use the HD pre models.  

Personally I would go with the speakers.  A lot of advantages, light weight, low maintenance, easy to set up and sound awesome in stereo too...

• Upvote 1

If you're set an having an amp my fender mustang 3 takes modelling pedals really well, you just plug into the fx return of the amp so that your only using the power amp and speaker of the guitar amp, I always get good sounds and it's plenty loud enough, it works better if I turn the cab sims off in my modeller though as I'm already putting it through a guitar speaker.

If you want to use the cabs in the Firehawk or amplifi you really will be better off with a powered pa speaker, the line 6 stagesource series of speakers work great from what I've heard and their price is coming down a bit

• Upvote 1

Checkarrow-10x10.png this out. I use this it is AMAZING: http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/toneblock-amplifiers/tone-block-200. Pat Quilter developed this himself.  (Pat Quilter = Quilter Sound Company = QSC).  His goal was to develop a digital amp that sounds and reacts like a tube amp. He succeeded.  I would be interested in other peoples opinion of it. Peace!!