Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Peak limiting- reduce transients with which compressor?

slateboy

I'm seeking advice on which compressor (or fx combination) can best control transients, particularly using clean sounds for live use.

As you're probably aware, clean sounds tend to get lost in the mix with a wider dynamic range than a dirty sound which has natural compression through distortion or overdrive, so a compressor can usually level things out better.

I want my clean sounds to be less dynamic, as would get from a compressor- boost the quiets & tame the "loud/peak" bits. However, of the compressors in the HD500x that i've played with i find they have an attack time that lets in some spike-transients that are a little too harsh for a split second. Ideally a compressor with a very short attack time, acting like a limiter, would be better. I've also played about with the sag setting in some amps which helps a bit. I've also read meambobbo's useful guide too.

Can any suggest a compressor or settings to minimise the attack-transients delivered and smooth out my clean sounds?

thanks in advance all

Although it takes a little more DSP, I really like using the Vintage PRE in front of the amp model to smooth things out a little...It has a nice color to it and I find the hi and lo pass filters really handy for shaping the outside edges a bit and helps for a little less radical EQ down the chain..

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I am searching for this same thing. FWIW:

I am currently using (for bass) Tube Comp, eq flat, drive low 35% and oitput at 54%. This provides volume limiting for extreme hits, does not bring up quieter parts much, does not sound driven and doesn't color the tone.

Be careful which ones you put after an amp. Certainly try them all, but some just do not sound good after an amp. For a cleaner sound, I've found the Vetta Juice works well, even with the amount at 100%. I've had good results with the Tube Comp also, just as hurghanico recommends.

I use tube comp after the amp with threshold set quite high and then I use expression 2 to control the gain level which is the overall patch volume - the amp should not be set at too high a volume otherwise the compression will start to be obvious - you are looking for transparency not pumping 

I'll cast another vote for the Vetta comp.  I use it extensively in my clean settings sometimes before the amp if I want more articulation (as in country or rockabilly) and after the amp for a smoother "limiter" effect for things like jazz.  Sensitivity of around 30 and output around 50 works for me.

I think these approaches are working for me.

Now if I could find an equivalent for a BBE Sonic Maximizer I'd have everything in the box. Any thoughts there?

I am currently using the pod as effects only in the front end to my bass combo. I am sure I am limiting my choices because of that. I just love how my Fender Rumble sounds and the simplicity of the setup.

I do use the pod as a guitar setup occasionally.

This is an old forum post about BBE Sonic Maximizers from around 10 years ago and conveys my opinion very nicely...

The following is what will happen if you add a BBE to your rig...

"Just a word of warning. Maximizers are the guitar gear equivalent of crack. The experience one goes through is identical:

1. The first hit: You hook it up and initially think "Oh MY GOD this the greatest thing EVER DOOOOOD!!!!!111!!!!1! I've found THE tone!"

2. You start using on a regular basis: Buy some model BBE, hook to rig, engage it 100% of the time. Rewrite all your patches.

3. You try to get your friends hooked: Dude, check out my rig, this thing takes it over the top!!!.

4. You go into addiction/denial: Friends think your tone has gone to sh*t but you think it is totally awesome. You start talking msinformed BS about different sound frequencies traveling at different velocities (hint: violation of Newtonian physics).

5. There is an intervention: Friend let's you A/B his non-maximizer rig versus yours in live setting, Yours sounds like over-processed dung, his rocks. He tells you, as a Bro, the BBE must go. You realize the BBE is a band aid for guitar tone and not even a good one at that.

6. You go into rehab: Another "like new" BBE xx2 unit hits eBay.

7. Regret: I wasted a sh*tload of time futzing with my rig, patches, etc, and my tone isn't any better and I'm back to square one. I Wonder what GE-7 pedals are going for these days.

Maybe you should avoid the whole thing. If you must post-process your modelling tone I would strongly suggest an EQ. It's much more versatile and will be long usable after the BBE is gone."

- kdog circa 2005-6 I think...my favorite post ever about BBEs...

instead of using the comp in front of the amp, put it after...

doing so it will work more similarly to how a limiter would do, will affect much less your natural attack of the notes, you'll still be able to affect the amp tone response with your touch dynamics, but the notes output volume will be more constant..

suggested comp: tube comp or vetta

Everytime I put an effect post amp the volume drops too much (unacceptable low), even on default settings. The change in volume is so huge I've stopped trying after a few tries...

personally I never experienced the huge volume differences of which Akeron is speaking about above, and particulary not by using compressors..

if I put a tube comp (which was one of my suggestions for the topic of this thread) after the amp I rather get an appreciable increase in volume

I was referring the findings of PFsmith0 here

I realize now that he was only talking about other effects than compressors.