Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

amplifi as speaker/monitor for POD HD

andrfilipe

hi. can someone share some views on using a POD HD paired with AMPLIFI for reharsals of even live performances. is anyone having success with that setup?

the features on AMPLIFI seem quite appealing to me, but i would like to give it a kind of a dual type of use. one for bedroom rehearsals using it as it is, but i would like to use it live as my monitor using the POD's HD modelling and stomps.

i've read some stuff about this idea but i'm not totally convinced as i see some people seem to report that it works very well (knowing it's a stereo model), but some others show some objections regarding the use of AUX IN. and obviously there's also the guitar in option with flat settings on the amp. what do you guys say? thanks!

Yes I use it to rehearse with. It works well for me. I run a mic and an ipad via Bluetooth connection for back up bass, drum, and piano tracks. I use an app called ireal pro which allows you to program the chords of a song and store your own chosen style, tempo, and key

Among other things.

I created a custom patch for the amplifi which uses no amp or effects, I have a flat eq setting on it as well. This way I can use the amps in the hd 500 x (for electric guitar rock tones) and the nice acoustic guitar tones from my Jtv 69'modelling

Guitar which work best with no amp simulation.

I play my app at a healthy loudness thru the ipad. I run the amplifi 75 at 3 O 'clock, (75 % volume)Take note of that level and use it all the time for consistency when making patches, then you can adjust up or down as the need arises.

I build my hd 500 patches while listening to the songs playing back from the app, that way I can make sure everything is cool level wise.

Be aware that changing pick ups, volume knob changes, and tone knob changes will all have an affect on the overall mix

So make notes if need be.

As far as playing live with it. I don't think it would quite cut it in my opinion.

Maybe if it is a coffee house gig and it is a solo or duo act.

But a hopping bar room ... Don't think so.

I know there are a million ways to use these things and some guys will disagree with this but that's

Ok. Bottom line is you can make it work for you if you tinker around with it long enough.

hi. can someone share some views on using a POD HD paired with AMPLIFI for reharsals of even live performances. is anyone having success with that setup?

the features on AMPLIFI seem quite appealing to me, but i would like to give it a kind of a dual type of use. one for bedroom rehearsals using it as it is, but i would like to use it live as my monitor using the POD's HD modelling and stomps.

i've read some stuff about this idea but i'm not totally convinced as i see some people seem to report that it works very well (knowing it's a stereo model), but some others show some objections regarding the use of AUX IN. and obviously there's also the guitar in option with flat settings on the amp. what do you guys say? thanks!

I don't have firsthand experience but I was considering it myself and did some research.  From what I gathered the aux in functions reasonably well with the POD HD however it's a 1/8 jack and some had reservations about that.  I also don't feel that the aux in was designed with that purpose in mind (as a multi effects input) so I'm not sure how I feel about it myself.  I'd say for home it's probably worth it to give it a try but if I were playing live there's no way I'd want to rely on that setup.  I think you need to look at the L2t.  As for using the regular guitar input I read that was only mono so again, wasn't designed for that purpose even if you're using it with no amp models.  I was also told that certain pedals don't work good with the amp modeling either such as overdrives and such.  I love the Amplifi you can't beat it for under $500 but realistically I think there's only so much you can reasonably expect at that price point so I don't have any complaints.     

the l2t is good, but it's pricey, and this idea i have is all about something that can achieve as a stage monitor, but that's also an amp in its own merits (as backup), in case the POD fails, i'm trying not to buy something that will only do one thing, just an amp or just a monitor. i've also seen some comments about people connecting the POD to a Spider IV in a similar way but have no clue if that works or not.