Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500 for amp modelling live - solutions

andrfilipe

i hope someone could give some idea of what's the best setup for a POD HD500 using amp modelling live...... i've read about Tech 21 Power Engine, and generic speakers/monitors but still i've been reading pros and cons about it.... any thoughts from users that have a live setup? thanks

i hope someone could give some idea of what's the best setup for a POD HD500 using amp modelling live...... i've read about Tech 21 Power Engine, and generic speakers/monitors but still i've been reading pros and cons about it.... any thoughts from users that have a live setup? thanks

I'm running the Alto TS110A FRFR (aka P.A) Speakers and have been very pleased with them. I haven't had a chance to officially gig with them, but they have been fantastic in rehearsal. Given that they are about $250/each.. they are quite the bargain, and do the job quite well IMHO.

I've also good things about the Yamaha DXR series of FRFR/P.A. speakers, but that get's you into another price point - $600/each for the 10" version, $700/each for the 12".

well i think ill run it direct too, and as a live backup i'll use the amplifi 150. at home i'm thinking about using the amplifi 150 as amp, as marketed or as speaker for my HD500 so i can play the HD without headphones, hope it sounds good.

Lately I have been using a tiny EHX 44Magnum power amp and a 1x12 cab and running my HD500 straight into it with cab modeling turned off.Sounds and feels very good.I have an active Atomic Reactor wedge with tubes in it I just pulled out of storage that I will try with the HD500 on Monday.Thinking about selling it but I have upgraded the speaker and remember it sounding pretty good.

well i think ill run it direct too,

Points to consider - do you work with your own sound system and sound man, and does that system provide multiple monitor mixes?  Go direct and you're relying on a third party to provide you with your most basic need - hearing yourself.  And if there's only one  monitor mix, how's the rest of the band gonna feel about having you blazing away from every monitor on stage while they're trying to hear the vocals?

Lately I have been using a tiny EHX 44Magnum power amp and a 1x12 cab and running my HD500 straight into it with cab modeling turned off.Sounds and feels very good.I have an active Atomic Reactor wedge with tubes in it I just pulled out of storage that I will try with the HD500 on Monday.Thinking about selling it but I have upgraded the speaker and remember it sounding pretty good.

Really?  I'd never seen the 44 magnum.  Is it loud enough to play live?  This is exactly the solution I was looking for, but I was afraid the tone would not be up to snuff at volume... but you are happy with it?  Hmm...  thanks for sharing!

i could always use the amplifi 150 as a monitor on stage and that's the bit i'm unsure about, i don't how the amplifi 150 will perform in that scenario. my band doesn't have a sound man, so we'll have to rely on different ones, but in some cases we won't have a sound man at all, there's a PA system on stage and we do our own sound. preferrably i'd be using POD HD for live for HD modelling, but if i have to gig with the amplifi only, i'll do it.

I have this conversation quite often, and I stand by this no matter how many times people tell me how wrong or out of touch I am: 

1. Never go on stage without a PA. whether it is yours or someone else's, just always have one. 

2. Never have a PA without someone to run it -- in real time. Never one of the musicians, a separate person. 

3. A fully capable monitor system may not always be an option, but that doesn't mean you need to make a decision between direct and amps. Go direct, and if need be, you have a little amp to provide you with stage volume.

However, with many more places requiring a "quiet stage", relying on amps and not having capable monitors is going to be your own downfall.  

Another thing to consider especially if you are going to do the run direct route and will allow you to monitor yourself are the ART or Rolls Personal monitor systems which are basically a headphone amp where you give it a signal which is then sent to the board and then you can have a monitor send return from the board and you have control over headphone volume and mix between your guitar signal and the monitor feed from the board.  Both of my current bands are migrating to this type of system.  There are some things to get used to such as unless you invest in a wireless in ear system you are going to be locked to your position, but if you don't run your guitar wireless whats the difference?

I run my JTVs into my hd500x which then runs direct to the bands personal PA and any venue's PA system.  I have also used FRFR amps such as keyboard amps and the Ampilifi 75 onstage for monitoring my guitar signal.

We have been lucky that most house PAs that we have worked with have good monitor systems.  However we have run in to few that caused us to consider the in Ear Monitor situation.  This way its now an intergral part of our core live PA and practice space.  That way when we show up we don't have to worry at all about whether a place has a crappy or non existent monitor system

I have 2 EV ZLX-12P's and 1 Alto TS10A and they all sound great.  Probably need 2 of the 10" Alto's in a band though to push enough volume over a loud drummer.

Plus side is that these brand budget powered pa speakers have upped the game cost/sound-wise. They really sound excellent, imo. Downside is.... well... overseas budget made devices.

I'm fairly new to the 500X and haven't explored it in depth but I assume, unlike the XTLive I also own which sounds like crap trying to pair it with, say, the power section of a tube amp/4x12 setup, the 500's are designed to work that way as well.  I mean from what I gather you can use just the pre's on the 500 then into most any power amp and speakers like it does with the DT amps and it should sound good.

I ran a 4x12/guitar amp rig with POD for a loooong time and got what I felt were really good sounds. Been running a couple of inexpensive PA speakers (Harbinger V2115) and I like the direct tones better than with the cab, and my speakers aren't even that great. Plus, now if we play a place with good FOH and monitoring, all I need to bring is my POD and my guitars. The two 15 PA speakers on stage more than make-up for the standard guitar cab as far as volume and "push" go. I'll probably be upgrading my PA speakers soon and continuing on  that path.

• Upvote 1