Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Loving new Models !!!!!

sosmusic

I just want to say how thrilled i am with a bunch of the new models. Mostly the 5150, its the real star of the show, and the Shiva I'm really enjoying as well. Great job on porting over the Line 6 originals, Smash, Insane, and Big Botton have never sounded better and really round out the HD 500 nicely for high gain options. Although not Technically HD, they are still through newer cab and mic sims playing around with those options has been yeilding some really great results and to my ears sound better than before. So Bravo Line 6 !!!!! I did purchase the Vintage pack as well, haven't played around with it enough yet though.

• Upvote 1

I agree as well. Seems like there are so many complaints on this forum but when you step back a bit a listen to the unimaginable options that we as guitarists have at our fingertips, it is really staggering. I have been playing guitar/recording music as an enthusiast for over 30 years and this is a great time to be making music. Its not good tone that is the challenge, it's still writing a great song! There is absolutly no reason a fantastic quitar sound can't be found with the HD modles. I have found all the models sound fantastic just depends on how to use that tone/sound in the "recipie".

I'm not a high gain player per say, but I love the new models. I'm quite taken by the new Marshall and Vox amps. Also, I have found the acoustic model works great at allowing me to use the acoustic models of my JTV through the DT 25 to sound pretty darn good - good enough to use live for sure. I'm more of a vintage tone guy and I keep finding my way back to the AC30 TB, Balckface for cleans, Plexie, and for sure the new Marshall model! Well done line 6 - I continue to be blown away by my "dream rig" and find it a perfect studio tool as well as giging tool. Good stuff!

• Upvote 1

Count me in as well.  I'm loving the new amp models and feel that I received a terrific value for my money.  I purchased the bundle and there are so many new things to try I'll be busy for months.   :D

The Variax set list was an unexpected added value.  Some of those presets are so great I would have purchased them, were they not free.

I haven't even gotten a chance to play with the bass stuff yet.

Thanks Line 6!!!!!

I agree as well. Seems like there are so many complaints on this forum but when you step back a bit a listen to the unimaginable options that we as guitarists have at our fingertips, it is really staggering. I have been playing guitar/recording music as an enthusiast for over 30 years and this is a great time to be making music. Its not good tone that is the challenge, it's still writing a great song! There is absolutly no reason a fantastic quitar sound can't be found with the HD modles. I have found all the models sound fantastic just depends on how to use that tone/sound in the "recipie".

I agree. I learned guitar in the 70's where it took you a year to barely scrape up enough money for an amp, guitar and a couple of pedals. That would be it!!!!!

If you got tired of that tone, too bad. Let alone being able to switch to different amps (and guitar with the Variax). I'm not sure if alot of the younger people realize just how fantastic they've got it. I am so jealous of this generation. Let me go ahead and also add how we had to learn songs without the internet or tab. There was LITTLE TO NONE (tab). Ya needed a record player that had a 16 speed so you could slow those fast licks down. Now, what would take a week, can be learned on youtube.in five minutes.

• Upvote 1

Agree with all the above...there is nothing else out there that you can spend $100 on that will instantly give you this many extra options. Even if you only end up using 3 or 4 of the new models reguarly, it's still a bargain. Really liking the Shiva and Variac'ed Plexi so far...

+1  :) I'm loving the new models. You can count me in on this one. The 5150 cranked up can be can of angry bees, but pull it back a bit and across my DT25 it has great note defintion and sounds great.  Default setting I thought could be better but those are just defaults.  The Roland sounds spot on. Not one I use much but nice to have it. And finally a workable acoustic model. It's not pefect but at least I have an acoustic type model to work with and no strange setup on to get it over to the DT.

• Upvote 1

I agree. I learned guitar in the 70's where it took you a year to barely scrape up enough money for an amp, guitar and a couple of pedals. That would be it!!!!!

If you got tired of that tone, too bad. Let alone being able to switch to different amps (and guitar with the Variax). I'm not sure if alot of the younger people realize just how fantastic they've got it. I am so jealous of this generation. Let me go ahead and also add how we had to learn songs without the internet or tab. There was LITTLE TO NONE (tab). Ya needed a record player that had a 78 speed so you could slow those fast licks down. Now, what would take a week, can be learned on youtube.in five minutes.

No doubt - It's often fun to play out of a70's setup...  It's amazing how much more playing I did back then... Like you said, learning songs was work... rememebr when cassetes came out! hahaha I thought I'd died and gone to heaven - made learning songs a snap! being able to rewind to a specific location.  These days, I can literally amp and effect my electric guitar with a myriad of digital solutions - but I spend so much more time on the technical aspects that I'm sometimes spinning my wheels on tech rather than just playing!  So now I haunt these forums to answer all the new challenges presented for the modern player.  Oh yeah - there were no forums in the old days either.

If you got tired of that tone, too bad. Let alone being able to switch to different amps (and guitar with the Variax). I'm not sure if alot of the younger people realize just how fantastic they've got it. I am so jealous of this generation. Let me go ahead and also add how we had to learn songs without the internet or tab. There was LITTLE TO NONE (tab). Ya needed a record player that had a 78 speed so you could slow those fast licks down. Now, what would take a week, can be learned on youtube.in five minutes.

No doubt - It's often fun to play out of a70's setup...  It's amazing how much more playing I did back then... Like you said, learning songs was work... rememebr when cassetes came out! hahaha I thought I'd died and gone to heaven - made learning songs a snap! being able to rewind to a specific location.  These days, I can literally amp and effect my electric guitar with a myriad of digital solutions - but I spend so much more time on the technical aspects that I'm sometimes spinning my wheels on tech rather than just playing!  So now I haunt these forums to answer all the new challenges presented for the modern player.  Oh yeah - there were no forums in the old days either.

That brings back some memories. Especially the cassette tapes, and the immanently falling off rewind and play buttons.

Could you imagine going back to that time, constrained with the technology only available then, but retain the knowledge of what you know will come in a couple of decades? How did people survive back then? What did we do, when not playing guitar? I remember getting into a lot of trouble.

The funny thing I remember about learning songs before the internet was getting some lyrics wrong and trying so hard to figure out what words they are singing in that one part. Looking back I am sure it led to some humorous lyrics. The only one I really remember off the top of my head is the song Blood and Roses by the Smithereens. I remember our bass player singing a line "and she dressed up like high school" when the actual lyric was s"he dressed as black as coal".

Good Times :-)

-Max

"Back In My Day" learning songs sucked.  A record player or cassette and trying for hours to figure out riffs and lyrics.  Then you had to run out to the store and pay for an entire record or cassette, not just download the song you wanted for 99 cents.  Wasn't it like 6 or 7 dollars for a record in the 70s ?  That was a lot of money when you only made $3 bucks an hour. 

But it did make you practice a LOT and made you a better player.  We didn't intentionally make scratching sounds on a record player and say silly rhymes then call ourselves musicians.  Ok, enough of my Grumpy Old Man rhetoric.

The funny thing I remember about learning songs before the internet was getting some lyrics wrong and trying so hard to figure out what words they are singing in that one part. Looking back I am sure it led to some humorous lyrics. The only one I really remember off the top of my head is the song Blood and Roses by the Smithereens. I remember our bass player singing a line "and she dressed up like high school" when the actual lyric was s"he dressed as black as coal".

Good Times :-)

-Max

Two famous ones.

Mistaken Lyriic

"There's a bathroom on the right"

Real lyric

"There's a bad moon on the rise"

Mistaken Lyric

" 'Scuse my while I kiss this guy"

Real Lyric

" 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky"

The internet got me back into playing.  I was too frustrated trying to learn songs back in the 60's.  Now I can find tabs online.  I have a software package called Transcribe that I use to figure things out.  That is a great program!  You can change tempo without changing pitch so you can slow down a riff to where it's easier to see what notes are played.  It also shows the notes being played on a piano keyboard.  You can also retune a song that is recorded out of tune (common) so that it sounds much better when you play along with it.

• Upvote 1

I cant update and purchase model packs until Monday.I gigged my HD500 last night and have three church services and two more cover band gigs before I can start the process.And yes it is a great time to be playing guitar. Love these good/bad old days stories lol!

I am indeed very very grateful for all we have right now!

I use audacity which is free, allows you to select a section and apply a change tempo effect to slow it down and loop play, when you have it you can undo to speed it up again.

Will have try the eq trick because that would be easy to do as well.

Two things..

First - I got to spend some time today with the Mandarin (Orange) amp.  I was able to dial in a tone that made the whole bundle worthwhile!  Changed cabs and mics, added the 4 band shift EQ, red comp and overdrive pedal, a little digital delay and a 63 spring reverb.  Tied the overdrive and comp to the expression pedals and this just covers a wide range of tones so easily.  Cleans up nicely with guitar volume and dirties up with the pedals...  sweet!

Second - I recommend you try Riffstation.  You can easily change pitch and tempo, it figures out the chords for you and you can dial out or isolate the guitars fairly well.  You can also break down the song into riffs and rearrange them in different orders...  its a good tool for practice and learning...

• Upvote 1

rmwpsych said:

<blockquote>I agree as well. Seems like there are so many complaints on this forum but when you step back a bit a listen to the unimaginable options that we as guitarists have at our fingertips, it is really staggering. I have been playing guitar/recording music as an enthusiast for over 30 years and this is a great time to be making music. Its not good tone that is the challenge, it's still writing a great song! There is absolutly no reason a fantastic quitar sound can't be found with the HD modles. I have found all the models sound fantastic just depends on how to use that tone/sound in the "recipie".</blockquote>

Couldn't agree more. I started playing in the late '70s and the expense and difficulty of experimenting with and developing tone needs to have been experienced first hand to fully appreciate the wonders packed into the PodHD. This thing is an Aladdin's Cave. Yes, kids these days don't know how lucky they are :) Nor do their housemates, who no longer have to share living space with quite so much rig.

Kit like this sharpens the challenge: you can sound pretty much like you want now, so the focus quickly returns to writing good material. But to adapt an old Babylonian proverb, the gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in tone-chasing. 

I just tried riffstation. Pretty cool program. If you slow things down too much though, it becomes a bit indistinguisable. But if you're into figuring out other people's work, it could be quite handy.

For chords and stuff, there's a nice program for android called Chord!. Very hand program while writing music.

Purchased Vintage pack a few hours ago after updating everything.HD500 sounds better all the way around and I have checked out and wrote patches for the Orange and AC Fawn amp. Digging them both. Before the update I was starting to play with the Divded by 13 amp as I like Rusty Andersons work with Paul McCartney a lot. Nice amp I never explored. So much here.Going to start using some different amps more.So much of what I do requires the basic Fender clean/Marshall dirt tones but I will try and use some others offered here.

Played with my Mandarin patch for a few hours tonight and found a really cool trick.  Lock the JTV tone knob at 85 and then link the tone knob to the F.A.C. control on the Mandarin from 20-60.  Gives a whole other range of available tones right there at your finger tips...  Bright to dark... Very cool!

• Upvote 1

I can't get enough of the Shiva...especially for leads, and it was way down on my list of things that I was looking forward to...you never know. And I know it's an older model, but the Variac'ed Plexi is great for mid-gain ryhthm tones, and cleans up nicely rolling off the volume.

• Upvote 1

Purchased Vintage pack a few hours ago after updating everything.HD500 sounds better all the way around and I have checked out and wrote patches for the Orange and AC Fawn amp. Digging them both. Before the update I was starting to play with the Divded by 13 amp as I like Rusty Andersons work with Paul McCartney a lot. Nice amp I never explored. So much here.Going to start using some different amps more.So much of what I do requires the basic Fender clean/Marshall dirt tones but I will try and use some others offered here.

Would love a share of whatcha come up with on the Fender/Marshall...nudge nudge!

I am finding the PV panama an unexpected treat, rolling off a fair chuck of the gain settles the tone that really cuts a mix well with only a touch of verb and a little EQ dip in the honk.

What I like about the new HD amps is they are distinctly different to what we had. Like adding a new set of colors to your palette.

As for me I am very happy bout the bass amps - cabs and the fender champ, I like all of the new models but the champ is over the top. Now for metal, just take the 8x10 svt to any metal amp and feel the might of awesomeness..

• Upvote 1

Mandarin ja variaxes plexi is really really amazing so far. Panama is kind of dark and muddy but i guess its like that in real life but very metal amp anyway.

Dt25 and hd500x sound so good that i could just spend hours to try different compinations :)

As for me I am very happy bout the bass amps - cabs and the fender champ, I like all of the new models but the champ is over the top. Now for metal, just take the 8x10 svt to any metal amp and feel the might of awesomeness..

Haven't got the model packs yet. How do the new bass amps/cabs compare to the existing ones, for the purposes of bass? Have heard next to nothing about the bass additions, except for the above mention. I guess people don't generally use the pods for bass.

Haven't got the model packs yet. How do the new bass amps/cabs compare to the existing ones, for the purposes of bass? Have heard next to nothing about the bass additions, except for the above mention. I guess people don't generally use the pods for bass.

I read that differently...I think he's using the SVT cab with other amps for metal tones. Perhaps he'll clarify...

I read that differently...I think he's using the SVT cab with other amps for metal tones. Perhaps he'll clarify...

I took it mean he's using the new bass cabs for 6 or > string guitars for metal. But maybe he's tried them for bass guitars also, along with the new bass amps. Yea, clarification.

The JC 120 is my go to amp for straight ahead and other kinds of jazz.Thrilled to finally have it.Before this model I would avoid using the HD500 for jazz gigs of which I still do many.Between the JC 120 and the Pete Andersen I have George Benson/ Wes Montgomery/ Robben Ford etc... finally covered !

Hey JTSC777 you seem to have a lot of bases covered musically. Do you have any videos of you guys doing stuff? I would love to hear how you sound live etc. using the methods you describe in various threads.

Thanks,

Rick

I play in about 6 different bands.I am the first call "sub" guy in my area.My main trio is called Wild Hare.I also play in a band called Sugar that put up a bunch of youtube stuff recently.Sugar is a soul/r & b band with a female singer . I don't purposely shoot video of myself but lots of people do at these gigs I play at. I am not on Facebook or anything like that so probably looking up the band Sugar out of Central California would be best.I will try to see if any of the bands I work with might be able to point me to a link or something.

Thanks for asking I really should be more serious about that kind of thing.If you really want to hear some things I have recorded look up the band Follys Pool and the album Out Of A Dream.They have youtube videos too.

I took it mean he's using the new bass cabs for 6 or > string guitars for metal. But maybe he's tried them for bass guitars also, along with the new bass amps. Yea, clarification.

True, needed to clarify! I use the metal amps with the SVT cabin and sound huge! Also the bass amps , for bass use, are awesome. With the first chance that I will get my bass back ( re-fretting ) I will upload something.

• Upvote 1

True, needed to clarify! I use the metal amps with the SVT cabin and sound huge! Also the bass amps , for bass use, are awesome. With the first chance that I will get my bass back ( re-fretting ) I will upload something.

Definitely look forward to that.

Definitely look forward to that.

http://www.megafileupload.com/2EQv/kkk.wav

I run two amps, 1st is 5150 with the svt cab, and when the volume drops is the mesa. FX used :gate (deafult) screamer (output 50 rest default), after amp ping pong with mix at 25% and room reverb at default.

Tonal changes are from the mics. Guitar used, JTV69S, Pickup used dimarzio blue velvet bridge (single coil)

• Upvote 2

http://www.megafileupload.com/2EQv/kkk.wav

I run two amps, 1st is 5150 with the svt cab, and when the volume drops is the mesa. FX used :gate (deafult) screamer (output 50 rest default), after amp ping pong with mix at 25% and room reverb at default.

Tonal changes are from the mics. Guitar used, JTV69S, Pickup used dimarzio blue velvet bridge (single coil)

I liked the tone from the first half, the 5150. It's somewhat bright sounding, but it's also has a unique grittiness to it, which is what I like. The second half, the mesa, seems a little too distant and dark, doesn't sound like it would fit well in a mix.

Did you get your bass back? By the way, how do you know when it needs re-fretting? The frets on my jem are visibly dented, but still works ok.