Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Audio In Windows 8 Randomly Stops Working With Ux2

One customer has replied that the following steps have helped with this problem.  Please give the following a try and let me know if the performance has changed:- Press the Windows Key on you keyboard to access the Start Windows screen.- Right Click an empty space and select 'All Apps' from the bottom right hand corner.- Scroll over to the far right of the App screen and under Windows System, select 'Control Panel'- 'View By' in top right corner should be changed to large or small icons.- Select Power Options below- On the left side of the screen, select 'Create a Power Plan'- Select the 'High Performance' plan and hit 'Next'- On the next page just hit 'Create'- Next to your newly created Power Plan, click on Change Plan settings- Click on 'Change Advanced Power Settings'- In this new window, select your power plan, and go through the settings below it individually to manage your computer for best performance.- Under Hard Disk, set turn off hard disk after 'never.'- Under USB Settings, set USB selective suspend setting to 'Disabled.'- After making all these changes, click on 'Apply' and 'OK.'- Reboot the computer and test the performance of your USB audio and let us know if the problem persists.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a problem that seems to happen to some Windows 7 and 8 computers with many different types of audio interfaces. Here is a link from a Microsoft Support thread to review: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/audio-stops-working-but-works-after-a-reboot/f3684f19-ee21-4e90-ae4c-98acb797d019?page=9&tm=1368283692511#LastReply There are many customers inquiring with the same problem with different audio devices from different manufacturers. One poster in the Microsoft support page (Zoolooz) provides a possible workaround to try: "Looks like problem solves by denying to use the playback devices in monopoly mode by software. Right click on speaker icon in tray - playback devices - speaker (do the same for headphones, previously plugged it in!) - properties (or settings, I'm not sure because of using cyrillic windows) - advanced - monopoly mode - unmark the first box. Hope this helps." I was unable to find playback mode, but go into Sound Playback Devices and right-click on your GX (which should have Speakers set to it) and and select Properties. In the Advanced tab of Properties, uncheck the box to allow the use of the device in Exclusive mode.I found also this procedure in another tech site with pictures of the steps to follow: http://dailykermit.wordpress.com/2009/09/11/windows-7-exclusive-device-control/ 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Having had a similar experience recently with a custom built PC I built, it turned out to be a software conflict with:Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host driversetEven on USB 2.0 ports different brands of audio interfaces would drop out in audio completely. Removing this driver and allowing Windows to automatically install Windows USB 2.0 drivers fixed the issue. This was on Windows 7, and Windows 8 does not use this controller, but I bring this up because with your computer being custom made, there is the potential for a conflict like this to happen. I also removed all of the Asus 'ASMedia' controllers and used intel based controllers instead. I would suggest you review your installed drivers and controllers to see if any of them have reports of creating conflicts like this. You might have to try updating the motherboard's BIOS if available as well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

f you are experiencing any kind of drop outs in audio, I would suggest that you increasing the buffer size used within your DAW as well as the buffer size slider in the Line 6 Audio MIDI devices menu located in the Windows Control Panel.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi there. It may be useful to someone advice from line6. I have not helped so far. I have a GX 8.1 for Windows 64 bit.

ps. write to find a solution, suggestions ...

• 2 months later...

She has just the latest update windows 8.1.64bit I test whether something has changed.
In my previous drivers did not solve the problem. In windows 7 32 bit probably had problems, but solved them described above proposals.

• 4 months later...

hi,

i have exactly the same problem (with a Line 6 GX).... tried everything noted on this topic - without a successfull solution.

is there any other low budget replacement? so i would sell my GX and by soemthing which works with windows 8

• 2 months later...

HI I just found the fix after many hours of frustration. It's simple.

Windows 8 and 8.1 users just go to:

Device Manager -> sound, video and game controllers and disable whatever AMD or NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device this way:

right click in the entry that says AMD or Nvidia and choose disable

say yes and never your pod or whatever line6 device will never stop again...

You can offer me a beer when you come to Portugal.

:) Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been having this problem for several years - and several versions of windows.  What's interesting and frustrating is that only the Windows sounds stop.  I use ASIO drivers in Sonar and even after the windows audio crashes, the sound in sonar continues to work.

Incedentally, once the audio stops working the whole system seems to be come sort of hinky.  Of course, neither Xbox music nor web audio works but iexplore.exe. tends to crash and the whole system tends to become sluggish and laggy.

I've tried all the suggestions listed here including - changing settings so no audio device can take priority, disabling the usb power setting, etc. all to no avail.

Can anyone provide any additional suggestions?  This is so frustrating?

Is there anyway to have Windows use ASIO instead of whatever it uses? 

• Upvote 1

Anyone got a fix for these issues yet?

I have some similar issues and have just opened a new thread. My issues are as follows.

Operating System is Windows 8.1. I use Pod Farm 2 latest version with UX1 but also use the UX1 as a soundcard for other programmes. I use either Roni Amazing Slow Downer or Transcribe to rehearse and learn. I also may use  Videolan VLC Media Player to watch and play against tuition videos. I use these and listen through headphones often so I need to be able to play them all into one source. Just to be clear I only use one of these other programmes at a time together with Pod Farm 2.  I use the MME Drivers of the UX1 so there is no conflict with the Assio Drivers used by Pod Farm. This set up all worked fine in Vista but now with W 8.1 it works and then crashes all the time and will not work again until I re-boot the computer. All of the above progs work fine in W 8.1 when used as standalone but will only work for a short time with the Pod Farm and UX1. They are all compatible version for Wind 8.1. I have contacted Microsoft about the problems but they have referred me back to Line 6 stating that its a 3rd party Driver issue. Everything works well until I come to route the other progs through the UX1 when Pod Farm is in use. They all still work correctly with Vista so my UX1 is not the issue and still works correctly. I can supply the transcript of the support I received from Microsoft. This is the 2nd ticket i have taken out on this issue as the first one seems to have disappeared

• Downvote 1

It looks like there is no fix yet for these problems and that's probably why My Support Tickets have been ignored. When will Line 6 accept that there are major issues here and that the problem will not go away. We need some recognition that the problem has been recognised and is being worked on. It now appears that Pod Farm 2 is not compatible with Windows 8 operating system and needs an upgrade of some sort - any prospective buyers need to be made aware of this if they are operating from Windows 8 as a platform. It is likely they will experience major sound issues and other programs will crash. 

In some of the previous replies  (above)  i have seen some lame excuse from Line 6 stating that the UX1  and UX2 are not meant as a general sound-card . This is rubbish and a cop out that is totally unacceptable. People use various combination of gear and programs to practice and sometimes we need to put music from various sources into the sound-card especially for headphone use.  As a Musician and technician to have solely Pod Farm at our disposal is limiting the potential that computers and software generally offers to us. Whats the use is having to go between 2 sources when you want to play along to existing music files or even when creating your own? For example say you lay down a backing and want to add a lead its no good when you cannot hear them together through the same source. Frankly the excuse from Line 6 was feeble and a cover up designed to take the heat of them. L6 need to take some responsibility for this issue and press on with a fix and stop giving feeble excuses for not doing so. Pod Farm was designed to facilitate using  various other software at the same time for example you need to be able to play into a virtual mixing console (DAW). It's essential !. With Vista all this was possible so why has Line 6 now imposed limitations on the use of Pod Farm 2 by being seemingly incompatible with Windows new operating systems and any other Software programs they wish to diss in the process?

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

yeah pretty much all of them....

no software agrees with every computer... that's clearly the category that the previous poster falls in...

but i've used the software on every operating system since xp including 8.1 with no issues.

is there any line 6 device which works with Windwos 8.1 and PodFarm?

yeah pretty much all of them....

no software agrees with every computer... that's clearly the category that the previous poster falls in...

but i've used the software on every operating system since xp including 8.1 with no issues.

i have 2 computers... with windows 7 everything works fine... with windwos 8 on both computers it stops working after ca 10-30 min...

i tried everything fro mthe usb troubleshoot list.

or another question:

is there any other toneport/software like podfarm?

have you tried something like slimdrivers?

a new version of windows likely has alot of default microsoft drivers...

for things seemingly unrelated like your usb drivers, and chipset drivers...

also try to avoid usb 3.0 if possible... its not as backward compatible as it should be.

have you tried something like slimdrivers?

a new version of windows likely has alot of default microsoft drivers...

for things seemingly unrelated like your usb drivers, and chipset drivers...

also try to avoid usb 3.0 if possible... its not as backward compatible as it should be.

Tried with slimdrivers and everything is updated. The PodXT still have problems with Windows 8.1. Works for 20 min and then stops. 

We need a fix in a new driver asap cause we can't work with this kind of issues. Please fix it!!:

• 3 months later...

Just want to say, that I have the same issues like others described here, the whole package (audio dissapears, restart problems, driver_power_state_failure etc), my OS is W8.1, Pod HD. Everything started with Line 6 installation, no problems ever before, no problems with other USB interfaces (tried steinberg, tried zoom g3).

Tried pretty much everything, nothing help. Submitted several tickets, got fast responses and different suggestions, unfortunately nothing helped so far.

I am close to give up and use other interface. 

Windows 7 user here, have been using my UX2 (and Podfarm) with Cubase for over a year. Then when I updated my Line 6 drivers through Line 6 Monkey everything started going wrong - I realised it was causing problems with playback on YouTube. In effort to revert back to how it was before, I used System Restore but was just left with no driver, and can't find any way to reinstall the older driver. The new driver, to put it simply, doesn't work. I can't get anything to play, and audio on Cubase doesn't come through. Essentially the UX2 is now useless until I can find a way to fix it.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I have the same problem with a Thinkpad T400, Win 8.1 and the UX1. After some minutes of listening to YouTube videos the audio (and the video) stops. The only thing that brings back the audio is to restart the computer.

Any suggestions?

Hi there,

I have the same problem with a Thinkpad T400, Win 8.1 and the UX1. After some minutes of listening to YouTube videos the audio (and the video) stops. The only thing that brings back the audio is to restart the computer.

Any suggestions?

Yes, do not use UX1. I have tried pretty much everything, nothing helped unfortunately.... 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't normally post to forums, but after experiencing issues with my UX2 with Windows 8 I found in the archived forums many other people were having the same problem (as recently as last month) with similar hardware.  I was experiencing random audio dropouts  on my PC.   The audio would stop completely throughout all applications.   The only way I could find to get it back was to restart my PC.  I know it is not a hardware issue as I have a dual boot PC which runs both Windows 7 and windows 8.  The UX2 always has always performed perfectly on Windows 7.

Here is the solution which appears to have fixed the issue on my PC.   I was experiencing the problem multiple times daily since installing windows 8, but haven't had it reoccur since I found this setting about a week ago.   I've been pulling my hair out for months and was right on the edge of uninstalling Windows 8, but now it seems to be working great.  I'm hoping this post can help others enjoy their line6 devices again.

The solution:

1. open power options.

2. click "change plan settings" for the plan you are currently using

3. Click "change advanced power settings"

4. Under USB settings -->USB selective suspend setting --> setting, change to disabled

(I have noticed the setting has changed itself back, but the problem hasn't reoccurred so maybe there's a bug in windows 8 in the power options.  Maybe if yours is disabled by default, you could try enabling it)

Sorry to make this post so long, but since the forums have been archived I couldn't reply directly in the thread where the problem was first mentioned.  I hope this is a permanent solution and helps everyone.   If it does maybe someone could shout me a copy of Podfarm2.5 Platinum...just kidding :P

This has been driving me crazy on Windows 10. Just made the changes so let's see if this works. Thanks for the info! :)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...