Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line6, maybe seek out specific Amps instead of specfic models

Palico

After my first experice with the using the Black Face Pete model at a gig, I wonder if maybe Line 6 as company should start seeking out specific amps used on some of the famous recordings instead of amps of the same type to model.  What we as guitarist often want is to get a tone like various artist we like.But often the amps they used might very well have been modified along the way, as in sometimes to improve them or to just fix problems. That Black Face Pete model was killer last weekend at the show. Better I think than the standard Blackface model. Likely becuase it modeled Pete's amp, which itself has GT tubes and some other appoitments an origal Blackface don't.  

Anyway, just food for thought.

This is a good idea...what would be even cooler is if we could create our own modded amps. 

If line 6 gave us software similar to the Variax Workbench where we could take parts and sonic qualities and put them together into an amp and then load that creation to the POD that would be cool. We would even mod existing amps by changing the type of tubes!

It would be THE killer product on the market I think. I know its possible because there is a company doing something similar but its software only. Hardware would make this a must buy product.

If this were available I currently have two children...lets leave it at that.

Creating these models involves using very fancy equipment to characterize the amp.  It's not something you can create yourself.  I agree that it would be cool to say - this model is of Joe Blow's famous amp.  I'm sure that Line6 does make sure that the amp they characterize is in proper working condition and that it sounds like it should.  Same with the guitars they modeled for Variax.

Creating these models involves using very fancy equipment to characterize the amp.  It's not something you can create yourself.  I agree that it would be cool to say - this model is of Joe Blow's famous amp.  I'm sure that Line6 does make sure that the amp they characterize is in proper working condition and that it sounds like it should.  Same with the guitars they modeled for Variax.

umm have to disagree.. take a software like Bias.. every individual part of an amp is simulated.. from the tube type, to the tone stack. You can even change the number of preamp tunes. Using that method of modeling one could mix and match and create their own or model a specific amp pretty easy...take a 1959 superlead.. in bias you can do the gain mod by adding a preamp tube and it works liek you'd expect the real mod to work...

Line 6 actually does model specific amps when they create their models. They own the vast majority of them, I believe. They have them on display at their headquarters in Calabasas, CA. There are some models that are "Line 6 originals" and in those cases, no real amp exists.

998446_10201259787952649_381473953_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

I read somewhere that the Fawn amp was a frequently used amp in the studios for many famous musicians before Line 6 fell in love with it an bought it. So we know of at least two amps used by artists that have been modelled in the Line 6 world. 

That amp room picture is delicious. 

But often the amps they used might very well have been modified along the way, as in sometimes to improve them or to just fix problems.

That would be pretty cool if they modeled the same exact sound of an artists amp 'cause we all know in some cases they get modified to be special. Good Idea!

I read somewhere that the Fawn amp was a frequently used amp in the studios for many famous musicians before Line 6 fell in love with it an bought it. So we know of at least two amps used by artists that have been modelled in the Line 6 world. 

That amp room picture is delicious. 

I think Ritchie Blackmore used the non boost AC-30 in the classic Deep Purple albums

These old amps were like guitars - every one sounded different.  Old components had large tolerances so the combination of them created slightly different tones.  Unfortunately, when old amps age, they don't always get better (or stay the same).  I'm sure that Line6 had a good amp tech go through these amps to make sure they were in as good condition as possible.

These old amps were like guitars - every one sounded different.  Old components had large tolerances so the combination of them created slightly different tones.  Unfortunately, when old amps age, they don't always get better (or stay the same).  I'm sure that Line6 had a good amp tech go through these amps to make sure they were in as good condition as possible.

No doubt they do. Thinking about this again, isn't that what the new AMPLIFI is about? Doesn't it match tones with an artist?

Well, i would disagree with that Idea... Imagine the A guy wants the JCM800 of the X band, while the B guy the JCM800 of the Y band... Even less happy buyers than now...

I believe line 6 is modeling as they should, good for everyone.

• Upvote 1

After my first experice with the using the Black Face Pete model at a gig, I wonder if maybe Line 6 as company should start seeking out specific amps used on some of the famous recordings instead of amps of the same type to model. What we as guitarist often want is to get a tone like various artist we like.But often the amps they used might very well have been modified along the way, as in sometimes to improve them or to just fix problems. That Black Face Pete model was killer last weekend at the show. Better I think than the standard Blackface model. Likely becuase it modeled Pete's amp, which itself has GT tubes and some other appoitments an origal Blackface don't.

Anyway, just food for thought.

The Black Face Pete is the first Fender model I've liked with no tweaking or eqs or dirt boxes. Just sounds right.

The Black Face Pete is the first Fender model I've liked with no tweaking or eqs or dirt boxes. Just play.

I agree. I didn't notice it in  the list of new amps at first.  So I saw someone posted a Rig Rundown where it was explained where it came from. So I setup a quick patch for it for some Blues and Rock type stuff using a Soul Food pedal (actual pedal) in front  of it. The tone even across my DT was outstanding with no tweaking just the pedal amp and just a touch of 'verb on it, and was even better at a gig and at gig volume.  That got me thinking that often we know the amps used, or at least can find the amp model used, on a lot of the tones we all desire. But who knows about these amps themselves. Are the modified, what post processing etc... The POD is wonderful device, but at the end of the day the tone is what we are all looking for.  The difference between this amp model and the Blackface which *should* be the same or very similar but I find they are not. 

Also a lot of the old amps and guitars were different from each one off the line. Certian exact pickups on guitars have even a lore about how they came to be, how many wraps etc.... This means 2 Fender Strats in the 50s/60s etc... coming off the line could sound quite a bit different. Amps had to be simliar, not to meantion what the guitar techs etc... of the time did with them/to them for various reasons. I know it's not possible for Line 6 to necassarly get a hold of all these specific amps but I think the Black Face Pete proves that it might be worth while to explore this option for the ones they can get ahold of.