Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No complaining on this thread: why I love my line 6 gear

wilson69978

Ok people, this is meant to take a step back and talk about some of the things you love about your gear.

I know we all get frustrated from time to time but let me know what gear you own and how you use it and why you love it.

Me first: amplifi75

JTV 69

Hd500x

G30 wireless guitar transmitter

I love the ability to go from acoustic guitars, to strats, teles, les Paul's etc with the turn of a knob.

Having the hd500 lets me save the ax I pick per preset which is so cool.

I run an app wirelessly to the amplify which gives me a pre programmed back up with simple bass,drums,

And piano back up for my songs. This is definitely not a pro set up but it is great fun, I use it

To rehearse alone or entertain friends at the cottage or at bbq's etc.

I have only had the guitar a few months, the hd less than 6 months, and the amp over a year.

Still lots to learn and it is so much fun.

Cheers

post-1921002-0-33215600-1429472180_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I love the POD HDs too. But since this is my first device that does amp and fx modeling, I don't really have anything else to compare it with. I do suspect that if I were to dump the pod for a boss, digitech, zoom, roland, and even the new amplifire, etc., I would find myself disappointed by the lack of versatility.

I have a JTV69-S, a POD HD500 and a Spider Valve MKI.

My next purchase will likely be a DT25.

I love my Line 6 stuff because it has allowed my creativity to flow seamlessly from one idea to the next.

The first real epiphany I had with my Line 6 gear was when I bought my Variax home, I was excited at the prospect of playing the Sitar for the intro of Paint It Black. After playing the intro over and over again, all the while giggling like a giddy 10 year old schoolgirl, I got the crazy idea to play the intro with the Banjo setting. The rest was history as they say.

My first Line 6 product was a POD HD400 I picked up in a trade for a guitar I had up on Kijiji. I played around with it for a while and was impressed enough to use it over the BOSS ME-50 I had.

As for the Spider Valve MKI, its my last Line 6 acquisition. When I told my friends about this purchase, the started snickering about how oblivious I was to fact that Line 6 only makes toys and a real musician would never use anything they made. Well when I brought the amp to the next jam session and started playing on my favourite amp, the Amber Twang, I watched as one by one their laughing faces turned shocked looks of disbelief!

What other company has a guitar designed by James Tyler AND amps designed by Bogner! 

• Upvote 1

I love the POD HDs too. But since this is my first device that does amp and fx modeling, I don't really have anything else to compare it with. I do suspect that if I were to dump the pod for a boss, digitech, zoom, roland, and even the new amplifire, etc., I would find myself disappointed by the lack of versatility.

Yes I think I would agree Duncann!

I love my Line 6 stuff because it has allowed my creativity to flow seamlessly from one idea to the next.

The first real epiphany I had with my Line 6 gear was when I bought my Variax home, I was excited at the prospect of playing the Sitar for the intro of Paint It Black. After playing the intro over and over again, all the while giggling like a giddy 10 year old schoolgirl, I got the crazy idea to play the intro with the Banjo setting. The rest was history as they say.

My first Line 6 product was a POD HD400 I picked up in a trade for a guitar I had up on Kijiji. I played around with it for a while and was impressed enough to use it over the BOSS ME-50 I had.

As for the Spider Valve MKI, its my last Line 6 acquisition. When I told my friends about this purchase, the started snickering about how oblivious I was to fact that Line 6 only makes toys and a real musician would never use anything they made. Well when I brought the amp to the next jam session and started playing on my favourite amp, the Amber Twang, I watched as one by one their laughing faces turned shocked looks of disbelief!

What other company has a guitar designed by James Tyler AND amps designed by Bogner!

The Dt25 would be awesome, I bet you would love it. Unfortunately I have had back surgery so all my gear needs to be very light from here on in. That is why I got the amplifi and you also may have noticed the small fender super champ x2 head and small cab I made for it. ( see pix at the top of the thread)

The cab has a 12 inch Celestion vintage 30 speaker in it, I am quite pleased with it. Packs a real punch for a small amp.

The fender amp has modelling and programmable effects which can be saved to 16 memory locations, so it is a neat little amp to own as well. The amp has tubes as well as modelling,

The Dt25 would be awesome, I bet you would love it. Unfortunately I have had back surgery so all my gear needs to be very light from here on in. That is why I got the amplifi and you also may have noticed the small fender super champ x2 head and small cab I made for it. ( see pix at the top of the thread)

The cab has a 12 inch Celestion vintage 30 speaker in it, I am quite pleased with it. Packs a real punch for a small amp.

The fender amp has modelling and programmable effects which can be saved to 16 memory locations, so it is a neat little amp to own as well.

I had a Super Champ head and cab before my Spder Valve and thought it was a pretty good amp...and nice and light.

I also have a friend who seems to have had nothing but distain for line6 stuff, but I think I saw a twinge of envy in his eye the last time we jammed. Lol.

I also had a friend who seems to have had only distain for line6 gear; but I think I saw a twinge of envy in his eye last time we jammed. Lol!

• Upvote 1

I also have a friend who seems to have had nothing but distain for line6 stuff, but I think I saw a twinge of envy in his eye the last time we jammed. Lol.

I also had a friend who seems to have had only distain for line6 gear; but I think I saw a twinge of envy in his eye last time we jammed. Lol!

I fully understand a brand snob who will consistently choose one companies products over any other. I even understand someone who snubs a brand because of a bad experience or two...but I will never understand someone who spends his time degrading a particular brand without even trying a few of their products.

• Upvote 2

I just had to poke in here and say I just got a kick out of the title of this thread, lol. We all know there are always be the nay sayers.

I, for one, at the time I was starting to learn how to play a guitar had to pick a maker so I took my time, looked around and deliberated to myself, lol, about how I might use the particular devices in the future in case I really liked playing. So after looking, reading and listening I picked Line 6. Since 2008 when I made my first buy and started to try to learn how to use computers and AISO devices, etc.etc. I'm still happy I went with Line 6.

I may be having a bit of issues with my DT50 but they're trying to fix that for me. Even with the DT issues, and that's a big one for me, I'm still happy 'cause considering the amount of devices I bought from them, "The good outweighs the bad".

I can't believe how good that DT50 sounds with one DT25 extension cab, lol, It doesn't matter which guitar I poke in the front of it either. I stuck my bone stock Guitar Fetish Telecaster kit guitar in it and even that sounded great. Amazing is all I can say.

I just had to poke in here and say I just got a kick out of the title of this thread, lol. We all know there are always be the nay sayers.

I, for one, at the time I was starting to learn how to play a guitar had to pick a maker so I took my time, looked around and deliberated to myself, lol, about how I might use the particular devices in the future in case I really liked playing. So after looking, reading and listening I picked Line 6. Since 2008 when I made my first buy and started to try to learn how to use computers and AISO devices, etc.etc. I'm still happy I went with Line 6.

I may be having a bit of issues with my DT50 but they're trying to fix that for me. Even with the DT issues, and that's a big one for me, I'm still happy 'cause considering the amount of devices I bought from them, "The good outweighs the bad".

I can't believe how good that DT50 sounds with one DT25 extension cab, lol, It doesn't matter which guitar I poke in the front of it either. I stuck my bone stock Guitar Fetish Telecaster kit guitar in it and even that sounded great. Amazing is all I can say.

Hi Brazzy, I'm glad to hear your experience has been mostly positive. I also understand most users are very happy with the DT25.

Hope your amp gets back soon and is sounding good. It is funny that I have only recently gotten into line6 gear, even though I have been playing for 43 years. Yes I know that scares me too,Lol.

I bought the hd 400 on sale for 300bucks. I wasn't even quite sure what it was when I first looked at it, as it was lying in a sale bin with no box.

After using the 400 for several months I realized some of its shortcomings, and opted for the hd500x.

Also FYI I use a Mac computer with Logic Pro to record my own original song material. I use the apogee duet audio to digital

Converter with the Mac. I love that set up too. The apogee gear works great with the macs.

Anyway, happy jamming .

Thanks for taking time to read and post.

Hi Brazzy, I'm glad to hear your experience has been mostly positive. I also understand most users are very happy with the DT25.

Hope your amp gets back soon and is sounding good. It is funny that I have only recently gotten into line6 gear, even though I have been playing for 43 years. Yes I know that scares me too,Lol.

I bought the hd 400 on sale for 300bucks. I wasn't even quite sure what it was when I first looked at it, as it was lying in a sale bin with no box.

After using the 400 for several months I realized some of its shortcomings, and opted for the hd500x.

Also FYI I use a Mac computer with Logic Pro to record my own original song material. I use the apogee duet audio to digital

Converter with the Mac. I love that set up too. The apogee gear works great with the macs.

Anyway, happy jamming .

Thanks for taking time to read and post.

Hi wilson, When I started buying it was the Spider III 15 with a TonePort GX and then soon after that I got a Spider Jam and a TonePort UX2 with the Model pack bundle.

At that time I didn't know how to play the guitar and I had no previous experience with stomp boxes or pedal boards. I was very green when I started and I just practiced by myself while trying to learn the computer part at the same time learning GearBox and the DAW's which were Ableton and RiffWorks. It was pretty big chunk to bite off but I had fun doing it and am still having fun doing it, lol. I'm always learning something new.

Of course, I ended up with an X3 Pro, then HD500, KB37 and then the DT50HD, lol.

Hi Brazzy, I listened to some of your tunes you have links for. Sounds pretty nice. Keep up the good work. You have some interesting tones at play there. By the way I checked back and I see I misread your post... It is the DT 50 you have and not the DT25.

Even better,lol.

Keep up the good work.

My Rig: JTV59-vdi-HD500-L6 link-L3t

Just thought I would share an experience with a 'muso' acquaintance of mine.....

I was playing a gig at a local venue and, lets call him 'Barry' to protect his identity, came to see us. I had been using my dream rig for a few months but Barry hadn't seen it. Our other guitarist was using my old Marshall tube amp. During the break Barry came up to me to ask me about my 'new guitar' which he said sounded 'sweet'. He hadn't spotted that it was a Variax and when I told him what it was he totally back tracked saying, "Well it still sounds pretty organic anyway,  but then you are putting it through that lovely Marshall of yours". I duly explained that the path was totally digital and he sort of shuffled away mumbling something about 'old school'.

Well, that's muso's for you...

I absolutely love my rig. I have been playing for 35 years (eep!) and have never enjoyed the sound I'm getting as much as I do now.

• Upvote 1

I've been a huge Line 6 fan since 2004 when I bought the Variax 500 and Vetta II combo.  I also bought a GuitarPort.  Since then I've added a JTV69, HD500X and DT25 Head / 1x12 cab.

I still have all of this gear and, for the most part, it's been very reliable.  The only thing that has required service so far is the DT25 head, which they turned around in 30 days.

I'm very satisfied with the level of service, reliability and innovation that Line 6 provides and I'm really looking forward to the future.

Hi Brazzy, I listened to some of your tunes you have links for. Sounds pretty nice. Keep up the good work. You have some interesting tones at play there. By the way I checked back and I see I misread your post... It is the DT 50 you have and not the DT25.

Even better,lol.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks wilson!!!

I've been a Line 6 user for many moons........ It all started out of necessity. I moved from one place where I was able to mic my Marshall combo amp for recording to another place where the neighbors would get upset with the slightest noise. I even went around asking them when it would be a good time so that I can record….. nope. Never was a good time. LOL.. So one day I was in a local music shop and there was this red bean thingy that a company called Line 6 made. Hhhhmmmmmmmm. Intresting. “Amp modeling for direct recordingâ€. I will have to try it out!!! I bought and was really happy with it to the point I wanted to use it live. Only problem is that I would need to have some kind of foot controller. Low and behold Line 6 had a foot controller for the red bean with TWO expression pedals!!! I bought that and I started using that combo for live performances. Then Line 6 came out with the XT Live!!!! I bought that with all the model packs. I still have it to this day. What? They weren’t done???? Then they come out with the X3 Live. I bought two of those since they did have issues and I needed one as a backup since I was playing anywhere from 50 to 80 shows a year back then. I still have both of those. Then I got the HD 400. Loved it!!!! So I had to get the 500x. I also own a Pocket POD, UX8 (love it!!!), Guitar Port, M13, Gearbox, POD Farm 2.5 platinum (2x) and a Variax 400. Line 6 makes it easier to get that tone that is stuck in my head out into the real world. These items make recording easier and make live playing much more enjoyable be it using my HD 500x with my Tech 21 power amp or my M13 with my Marshal JVM half stack……..

• Upvote 4

My Rig: JTV59-vdi-HD500-L6 link-L3t

Just thought I would share an experience with a 'muso' acquaintance of mine.....

I was playing a gig at a local venue and, lets call him 'Barry' to protect his identity, came to see us. I had been using my dream rig for a few months but Barry hadn't seen it. Our other guitarist was using my old Marshall tube amp. During the break Barry came up to me to ask me about my 'new guitar' which he said sounded 'sweet'. He hadn't spotted that it was a Variax and when I told him what it was he totally back tracked saying, "Well it still sounds pretty organic anyway,  but then you are putting it through that lovely Marshall of yours". I duly explained that the path was totally digital and he sort of shuffled away mumbling something about 'old school'.

Well, that's muso's for you...

I absolutely love my rig. I have been playing for 35 years (eep!) and have never enjoyed the sound I'm getting as much as I do now.

Couldn't agree more Zaphod boy. I love the tones as well. So many to choose from is the best part.

I've been a Line 6 user for many moons........ It all started out of necessity. I moved from one place where I was able to mic my Marshall combo amp for recording to another place where the neighbors would get upset with the slightest noise. I even went around asking them when it would be a good time so that I can record….. nope. Never was a good time. LOL.. So one day I was in a local music shop and there was this red bean thingy that a company called Line 6 made. Hhhhmmmmmmmm. Intresting. “Amp modeling for direct recordingâ€. I will have to try it out!!! I bought and was really happy with it to the point I wanted to use it live. Only problem is that I would need to have some kind of foot controller. Low and behold Line 6 had a foot controller for the red bean with TWO expression pedals!!! I bought that and I started using that combo for live performances. Then Line 6 came out with the XT Live!!!! I bought that with all the model packs. I still have it to this day. What? They weren’t done???? Then they come out with the X3 Live. I bought two of those since they did have issues and I needed one as a backup since I was playing anywhere from 50 to 80 shows a year back then. I still have both of those. Then I got the HD 400. Loved it!!!! So I had to get the 500x. I also own a Pocket POD, UX8 (love it!!!), Guitar Port, M13, Gearbox, POD Farm 2.5 platinum (2x) and a Variax 400. Line 6 makes it easier to get that tone that is stuck in my head out into the real world. These items make recording easier and make live playing much more enjoyable be it using my HD 500x with my Tech 21 power amp or my M13 with my Marshal JVM half stack……..

Hi geekeer, sounds like you are the ultimate Line 6 user, lol. Well...proof positive that the gear works for guitarists of all sizes, style, backgrounds and playing level. Rock on!

I'll bet you $20 you could hand the same guy a bowl of Cool Whip, tell him it was vanilla mousse, hand-crafted by some celebrity chef at a trendy Manhattan restaurant that charges $47 for it, and he'll swear it's the best dessert that's ever passed his lips. The average person is painfully unaware that pretty much everything they think they "know" has been assigned to them by the advertising industry, and their palate is about as sophisticated as what is routinely found feeding at a hog trough.

• Upvote 1

I'll bet you $20 you could hand the same guy a bowl of Cool Whip, tell him it was vanilla mouse, hand-crafted by some celebrity chef at a trendy Manhattan restaurant that charges $47 for it, and he'll swear it's the best dessert that's ever passed his lips. The average person is painfully unaware that pretty much everything they think they "know" has been assigned to them by the advertising industry, and their palate is about as sophisticated as what is routinely found feeding at a hog trough.

This is correct. I remember recently a test was done on passersby in a fairly busy concrete downtown type setting. They set up a table with cake samples to try. Both cakes were identical, but one had a heftier price. In all cases, the people who tried the cake samples said the more expensive one was richer, had more flavor. The cheap one was dry.

I'm sure people who work in marketing and advertising know all of this. Including people at Line 6. It's nothing new. People are easily manipulated, even if a person is aware they are being manipulated, it can still work.

• Upvote 1

I'll bet you $20 you could hand the same guy a bowl of Cool Whip, tell him it was vanilla mousse, hand-crafted by some celebrity chef at a trendy Manhattan restaurant that charges $47 for it, and he'll swear it's the best dessert that's ever passed his lips. The average person is painfully unaware that pretty much everything they think they "know" has been assigned to them by the advertising industry, and their palate is about as sophisticated as what is routinely found feeding at a hog trough.

Intresting..........  I don't eat sweet stuff........

• 2 weeks later...

I just spotted this thread and today is a great day to contribute to it. Had a band rehearsal and there were so many times today that I was just smiling at how much I was digging my tone. I was using my JTV59 and hd500 into my DT25. It is the best live sound I have ever had. Like many folks here, I have put a lot of time into tweaking between the various amps, cabs, topologies etc. But today was one of those days where it all came together and I was focused all on the music. I was actually near to giggles after one song when it suddenly occured to me that I had used 5 different guitar sounds, 4 amps, plus various effects -- all over 5 patches.

This rig is too much fun!

• Upvote 2

I just spotted this thread and today is a great day to contribute to it. Had a band rehearsal and there were so many times today that I was just smiling at how much I was digging my tone. I was using my JTV59 and hd500 into my DT25. It is the best live sound I have ever had. Like many folks here, I have put a lot of time into tweaking between the various amps, cabs, topologies etc. But today was one of those days where it all came together and I was focused all on the music. I was actually near to giggles after one song when it suddenly occured to me that I had used 5 different guitar sounds, 4 amps, plus various effects -- all over 5 patches.

This rig is too much fun!

Hello Grandinq, that's what it's all about, having fun. I'm glad your perseverance with the dream rig has paid off. Enjoy!

• 5 months later...

I agree, there is no possible way for me to afford so many of the amps I want and to gig with them...

Until I fell in love with Line 6, and now my HD500X and the Cabinet from the Gods, the LT3

With the pedal board built like a tank, and to get the warmth and harmonics and tube scream out of a no tube maintainence issues is amazing....

My favorite amps so far are the JCM 800 and 2044 based, but the Soldono amps are increadable to play with...

And EVERY guitarist I have played with has either been blown away or cussing under their breath because they can't believe that a digital rig beats their close minded Marshall or Fender only minds...

However, while I do try to get certain sounds, I always make them my own, not to sound like someone else and this gives me the ability to do that and so much more....

Yet I found myself messing around with some if the other amps I normally wouldn't touch, and I found the Champ and the Vox models to sound increadable and give me that tried and true Zeppelin and Joe Walsh tones.... Right away....

There is so much to learn and do with this that I will never be stop being amazed