Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fizz...

EddieVanSilva

So I've read a few posts here concerning unwanted "fizz" in a high gain channel, but still not sure what the main cause of this is, or what the best steps are to get rid of it.

With my Vetta, my "go-to" high gain setting had a lot of different effects in it, and had a lot of distortion, but not that "fizzy" sound. It sounds like something that a little tweaking might clear up, but no luck yet.

For example, when I play with the treadplate pre, I get fizz with the pre's gain set to about 60%. At that setting, The distortion is not nearly as heavy as the finished product on my Vetta setting. While the vetta setting is definitely distortion heavy, it's not the same kind of noise. I find that with a combination of some tube comp and EQ'ing, I can start to get that "Big and heavy" sound I'm looking for, but just makes the fizz more noticeable. With those things turned down or off, it just make my sound very thin, for example, playing through the Vetta is like having several cabs spread out in a large room, and the HD sounding like a small practice amp in a small room. 

I've tried using that pre with a few combinations of EQ, comps, etc. in an effort to somehow tune it out, but haven't had much luck other than just turning the gain down, which goes against the sound I'm looking for. I've also tried different pre's (haven't downloaded new ones yet), but so far it seems like the treadplate puts me more in the direction I'm looking for, so I've been just trying to mess with that one, instead of starting from scratch with something else.

For all of this, I'm using the HD Pro with 2.62 update, Mesa 412 straight cab, and Rocktron Velocity 300 amp. At some point I plan on downloading some other users presets, just to see how they're set up, and possible tweak them to suit my needs, but I feel like the tones I'm working on are close, aside from the fizzyness, so just looking for some insight. Thanks.

I have found that fizz can be lessened if  the amps dep BIAS control is raised above default 50 .... essentially the nearer 100 you get the less fizzy the sound seems to be.

When using a full amp model you may also want to back off the amps MASTER dep control a bit too - this will ease off on the modelled power amp distortion in the patch.

Plus lower the RESONANCE value on the cab model - it boosts low end and high end frequencies - I suggest turn it down from default of 50 to 0 - which effectively turns it off -  see if you like it without RESONANCE and then introduce it back in a little at a time to see how much or little of it you need, perhaps notching up by 5 or 10 at a time to see how the sound is affected. 

Also try a different MIC with the CAB model to pick one that matches the frequencies you want to highlight - some of those mic's really do boost the high end stuff.

Also, use one of the EQ's that allows you to introduce a HIGH end cut and set it to about 7K or lower to cut out any unwanted top end noise.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

Very useful video!! Any idea which would be better: using the parametric EQ, mid focus EQ, or both?

So far I've been using the mid focus by itself to cut fizz. How about you guys?

Thanks for the help! I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know how I make out!

Wow, you must really love your Pod if you're making out with it!  :wub:

• Upvote 1

Very useful video!! Any idea which would be better: using the parametric EQ, mid focus EQ, or both?

So far I've been using the mid focus by itself to cut fizz. How about you guys?

All roads lead to Rome...whatever works best for you. Both doing the same thing.

All roads lead to Rome...whatever works best for you. Both doing the same thing.

Actually, I was wondering about this:

Let's say I have fizz at around 3kHz, like in Peter's video.

1) If I use the mid-focus' low-pass filter, I'll be attenuating at around 3 kHz AND everything above 3kHz.

2) If I use the parametric, if Q is not too low (wide range), I'll only be attenuating frequencies around 3kHz, while leaving the higher frequencies alone.

3) If I use both, I'll perhaps use the parametric mentioned in point 2 above, while the mid-focus gently rolls off the higher frequencies, maybe 4.5-6kHz?

Since I'm such a noob, some days I find one method sounds better, some days it's the other one. So, there's really no difference?

Since I'm such a noob, some days I find one method sounds better, some days it's the other one. So, there's really no difference?

This is a problem for everybody, as far as I'm concerned. Lotsa things affect the way the amp sounds from one day to the next. Sometimes it's a tangible, measureable thing like aging strings, a dull pick, the room you're in...or maybe you just suck that day, lol. Hence the constant tweaking. Bottom line is, if it works for you, then have at it. The results are what matters...who cares how you get there?

Actually, I was wondering about this:

Let's say I have fizz at around 3kHz, like in Peter's video.

1) If I use the mid-focus' low-pass filter, I'll be attenuating at around 3 kHz AND everything above 3kHz.

2) If I use the parametric, if Q is not too high, I'll only be attenuating frequencies around 3kHz, while leaving the higher frequencies alone.

3) If I use both, I'll perhaps use the parametric mentioned in point 2 above, while the mid-focus gently rolls off the higher frequencies, maybe 4.5-6kHz?

1) Don't use low pass filter at 3k. You are killing a lot of your guitar's tone. You should set your low pass filter at around 7k.

2) Parametric EQ is the best tool to kill Fizz, after the right cab/mic selection.

There is not "the one method or the other". Both are good for different reason. You can use both EQ's together.

Meiannatee said:  "If I use the parametric, if Q is not too high, I'll only be attenuating frequencies around 3kHz, while leaving the higher frequencies alone."

Hang on...I read that the "Q" on a parametric eq is the opposite of what Meiannatee said.

Lower Q encompasses more frequencies, and higher Q would be a narrow range. So wouldn't he want a high number on the Q (100%) to isolate just the 3k (which according to that vid is around the 82% mark on the Frequency adjustment?

I have found that fizz can be lessened if  the amps dep BIAS control is raised above default 50 .... essentially the nearer 100 you get the less fizzy the sound seems to be.

When using a full amp model you may also want to back off the amps MASTER dep control a bit too - this will ease off on the modelled power amp distortion in the patch.

Plus lower the RESONANCE value on the cab model - it boosts low end and high end frequencies - I suggest turn it down from default of 50 to 0 - which effectively turns it off -  see if you like it without RESONANCE and then introduce it back in a little at a time to see how much or little of it you need, perhaps notching up by 5 or 10 at a time to see how the sound is affected. 

Also try a different MIC with the CAB model to pick one that matches the frequencies you want to highlight - some of those mic's really do boost the high end stuff.

Also, use one of the EQ's that allows you to introduce a HIGH end cut and set it to about 7K or lower to cut out any unwanted top end noise.

Hope that helps.

This technique works really really well! Just do it.

Meiannatee said:  "If I use the parametric, if Q is not too high, I'll only be attenuating frequencies around 3kHz, while leaving the higher frequencies alone."

Hang on...I read that the "Q" on a parametric eq is the opposite of what Meiannatee said.

Lower Q encompasses more frequencies, and higher Q would be a narrow range. So wouldn't he want a high number on the Q (100%) to isolate just the 3k (which according to that vid is around the 82% mark on the Frequency adjustment?

Sorry I meant "not too wide". You're right, higher Q% = narrower

• 9 months later...

Hope that helps.

Haha !!! Yes nice advice this works nicelly...

for resonance setting, coupled with thump and decay (cause that the way it behave)

I found that lowering and playing from 5 to 25 with resonance provide a subtle body effect, after 25 it's an in your face result, so not needed and fizzy by the way.

And as a result pushing and playing with thump  between 50 and 75 and same for decay works fine.

I can't wait testing tonight at gig level !!

@EddieVanSilva  <_<

Hm. I´m really tired of people who are asking questions, are getting help and later do not feel the need to reply with their result on the given tips.
It´s a bit like asking someone to carry one side of a piece of furniture during a move and than lighting a cigaret and go away without a word.

(sometimes I do hope, my anger is not dedicated to people who have suddenly died, still sitting at their pc-keyboard  :wacko:) 

… so more do I hope the pc-keyboard has still a lively user  :ph34r:  ;)

Here is my solution on getting rid of Fizz from another thread…

I have got rid of the fizz this evening  :) The solution was a reduction of the Master DEP and RES in combination with increasing the BIAS to values over 50. And take care of PRESENCE on the amp! This can cause some nasty and unwanted frequencies too.

It took some tweaking on the amp-EQ to dial back in the wanted tone but now the fizz is no longer recognizable.

Thank you all very much for your support on this!