Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Script Phase makes any patch I add it to sound dull

alienux

I'm not sure why, but whenever I add the Script Phase to any of my patches, the sound of the patch becomes very dull, almost muffled. I can hear the phase effect, but the sweep ranges from dull to more dull. There's only one control, which is speed, so I know I'm not missing a setting on the script phase itself, and the dull sound happens at any speed. I've also tried it in every position from front of the chain to post distortion, to post amp, and while I sounds slightly better in some positions, it still has a significant muffling effect on any patch I try to use it with.

I've used real phaser pedals going into real amps in the past and never noticed anything like this, so I'm kind of baffled. I've got a patch or two from CustomTone that use the script phase and they sound OK, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

What settings can I look into that may be causing this?

I use the script phase for some things and I've never really noticed anything being muffled. I have noticed on occasion, and randomly, a sort of digital clipping as it goes through it's sweep. Nothing really dramatic though.

Post the patch you're having troubles with.

• Upvote 1

One thing I can think of might be your InputZ setting...This is actually an analog circuit that will vary the impedance of the GTR input based on what is first in the chain if it is set to auto....While that is kinda cool for recreating the tone suck of a CryBaby that is kinda helpful with a standard strat or really bright guitar I tend to keep in manual and set it to 1M or 3.6M....Not sure if this is you problem, but something to check out perhaps.

In terms of using the script, I would like to have a mix control on it....I know that isn't the same as a real phase 90, but it's a little too much for my taste. However, when I do use it, it tend put it after the amp on the A chain with an analog delay in front of it (some really light 300 ms or so echo)....I center the mixer pans and use chain B to get the dry level where I want it in relation to the A chain that is the wet FX...That tends to keep some life in the tone for me...

• Upvote 2

I actually think I got the script phase sounding more like what I expected it to. On the particular patch I was adding it to this time, I hadn't change the Input 2 to Variax instead of "same." Doing that seems to have helped. Setting InputZ to 1M helped some, too. Thanks for the suggestions.

I experienced the same thing with the script.  Honestly the normal Phaser works just as good as the script one....has way more even EQ sound to it.  Highs, mids, lows.  Probably depends on the amp model you're using, but with a more high gain situation....it does sound muffled to me.  I'd say just back off on the regular phase settings and do away with the script one.  

• Upvote 1