Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G70 -- Drop out experiences?

svenseel

Hi -- 

Just got my G70 and am testing it at home before taking it out.  I had a G50 and experienced some serious drop out issues on large stages -- to the point where I had to turn the transmitter off and on again to reconnect to the receiver. I'm trying the G70 to see if I have a different experience, and have had a few problems.  

I've used the scan feature to pick an interference-free channel, but still get some widely-spaced (in time) drop outs, sometimes as long as a second or so.  I have wifi in the house, but nothing else in the 2.4GHz range.  I am standing no more than 5 feet from the receiver and it is not buried between higher pedals in the board.  I placed the transmitter on my belt, slightly behind the guitar.

Absent the slightly glitchy behavior, the sound is excellent.  Amazing, even.

I'm interested in any else's experiences.  

Thanks for the reply.  The transmitter is on the back of my belt right above my back pocket, basically.  I used it again tonight for rehearsal and had significant random dropouts.  Scanned for an open channel, etc.  It's going to have to go back, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have had occasional drop outs with my G70. Have taken all the suggested steps to minimize the problem. They are not constant but will usually happen once or sometimes twice (for .5 to 1 second) during a three hour gig. Is this normal? If not, what are my options, aside from a product return with full refund?

Thanks

I would prefer to keep the unit but need reliability.

Just got my G70 and tried it out at rehearsal tonight. Sounds fantastic and love the features, but yup, brief random dropouts. Granted, I did not scan for a "free" channel - just left it on 1. I own a G50 and it's the same dropout problem I had until the latest firmwear update. Hope L6 gets this bug fixed too ASAP.

I have used the G50 for years & loved it it! Flawless tone & performance! No drop outs or issues of any kind ever! Upgraded to the G70 a month ago. The first unit I received had various problems including a non-functioning button on the unit & a broken AC wall wart and also lots of drop outs. I returned it....got a replacement & all of the issues were resolved except for the dropouts. Probably 3-5 dropouts during a 3-60 minute sets evening. The dropouts last no longer than a second each but are very disruptive & unacceptable! Really disappointed because I was really digging all of the upgrades. I am a 30 year veteran of gigging, recording & tons of gear experience so I don't think it is user or setup error. Bummer! Hoping there is a firmware fix or something that will resolve this issue before I have to look to other models of wireless systems.

I just picked one up yesterday and noticed the dropout problem after playing with it for a few hours. Happened a couple of times even after scanning for an open channel.

Do you have an ETA on a fix? I have a gig this weekend and I'm hesitant to use it in a live setting until this is fixed.

Thanks!

I am also experiencing the same drop outs described above.  During the last gig I used this thing I lost count of how many drop outs occurred and how many times I ran and re-ran the scan - even between songs during the set.   This is completely unacceptable when it happens during a gig and worse while playing a lead guitar solo...thanks line 6!  The last time I had it plugged in it even started randomly broadcasting spurts of white noise into the signal.  I think that was the unit telling me in a digital language that it needs to be returned for a refund.

Does the "line 6 g70" stand for a minimum of "6" drop outs during a "70" minute set??

To anyone reading this thread and considering buying this wireless unit:  DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Initially I was trying to decide between this and the Shure GLXD16.  I was lured by all the bells and whistles the line 6 has.  But dropouts while playing a gig makes it a horrible choice.

I too have gigs this weekend, and my 45 day return for a refund ends in 2 weeks.  I do not have time to wait to see IF a firmware update fixes this or not.

I have since purchased a Shure GLXD16 for this weekends gigs and the future.  I will be returning the g70 ASAP.  It's very frustrating to realize the Shure is what I should have bought in the first place to avoid all the aggravation this product caused during my gigs over the last month.

This product should be renamed from g70 to "FAIL"

Firmware v1.03 for Relay G70 and Relay TB516 G is now live. The update improves the performance significantly concerning drop outs.

Please go to:

Line6.com/software

Select “All products"- "Line6 Updater†(dropdown menu)- <your OS (Mac or PC)>

Last night I played a 3 hour gig with the new 1.03 firmware.  Worked like a charm.  Not a single dropout.  I was critical of this product earlier, but if last night's reliability holds true in the future, I won't hesitate to recommend it. Sounded and worked great!  Thank you L6 for 1) Getting the firmware out ASAP and 2) putting usb ports on the product so we can easily do the updates ourselves - It was annoying with the G50 that we couldn't update ourselves.  

• Upvote 1

Firmware v1.03 for Relay G70 and Relay TB516 G is now live. The update improves the performance significantly concerning drop outs.

Please go to:

Line6.com/software

Select “All products"- "Line6 Updater†(dropdown menu)- <your OS (Mac or PC)>

I have always used Line6 Monkey for my various products... i have the G70 on order... is this a different piece of software to update the G70?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but I updated to the 1.03 firmware and it is still dropping out occasionally.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I really like the build on these units and the 1/4 inch input, but I can't have occasional dropouts.

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks

Yes, I tried the scan on about 5 different channels.  Some were way better than others, but I could almost always get it to cut out.

I know this sounds weird, and maybe my imagination but it seems like a weird body pack chassis static electricity grounding thing.

Also, our bass player used it and it worked fine except when he was standing right by his amp, then it would randomly have problems.

Very Strange.

·         Did you update both the transmitter and the receiver?
·         How far away from the receiver is the transmitter when you get a drop-out? Is it line of sight, on guitar strap, in pocket?
·         Is there any other wireless gear powered on nearby, such as PEM’s, WiFi routers, or otherwise?

Thank you!

Yeah, I had some issues updating my G70. I blame the PC I was on; the internet connection was wireless, and it was using Windows 7. I switched over to my Windows 8 machine, which has hard-wired internet, and the update was flawless. Freaked me out though!! It kept not updating properly, I was worried I was going to brick it before I got to ever use it!

But yeah, you have to update both transmitter and receiver to the new firmware..I did a test where I walked upstairs, and it kept signal going, with the rig in my basement. Just beamed through the floors, I guess. Hopefully you can get your's resolved!

On a side note to that, BestTronics has upgraded cable / Switchcraft locking assemblies for the G70, they sent me a couple of their prototypes. Right angle, and straight. Nice stuff! The one that comes with it seems fine, but it's always nice to have some backups on hand..

I buy most of my cables from those guys, good stuff. Got all my L6Link cabling from them, my Variax cable, a ton of XLR's, and 1/4" cables for my pedalboard to amp, and fx loop send/return cabling. Top notch quality from Tinley Park, IL! :)

20150614_154902_zpsntg9gnwb.jpg

20150614_154851_zpsriqx9vlh.jpg

20150614_154847_zpsd8azyuuu.jpg

I also upgraded the firmware on both. Still had dropouts…. not as bad,but not useable for me in a performance situation.

And yes, i tried the channel scans, had the transmitter in my pocket, tried it on the strap, tried it in three different stage situations. It would always dropout about 10-15 feet from the receiver,in line of sight. I really hope you folks can get this sorted out,cuz the unit sounds great. Just can't have the drops. Returned the unit. Back to the Shure ULXD.

Just took delivery of my G70 (ordered it in April, only just got here) running the latest firmware (I updated it anyway); impressed by build quality and features, both solid.

Immediately did the 'house walkabout' test. Got as far as the next room before it dropped out when I turned round, placing my body between the transmitter and receiver. Total distance about 20 feet max, line of sight blocked by a wall. My previous, very budget, wireless had no problem going around the house, through walls, etc. The only reason I upgraded in the first place was to avoid occasional signal break-up when, on hot gigs, a big fan was placed near the receiver. Plus I wanted the full bandwidth Line 6 offer. 

To be fair, I don't normally walk behind walls during a gig, although behind pillars is a distinct possibility. Will gig in a couple of weeks, with the old unit on standby, see how it fares. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the G50 for years & loved it it! Flawless tone & performance! No drop outs or issues of any kind ever! Upgraded to the G70 a month ago. The first unit I received had various problems including a non-functioning button on the unit & a broken AC wall wart and also lots of drop outs. I returned it....got a replacement & all of the issues were resolved except for the dropouts. Probably 3-5 dropouts during a 3-60 minute sets evening. The dropouts last no longer than a second each but are very disruptive & unacceptable! Really disappointed because I was really digging all of the upgrades. I am a 30 year veteran of gigging, recording & tons of gear experience so I don't think it is user or setup error. Bummer! Hoping there is a firmware fix or something that will resolve this issue before I have to look to other models of wireless systems.

Where did you buy your Relay G70?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you ColinForbin for the lead on Best-Tronics cables! My impression of the transmitter cable that comes with the G70 is that it's very poorly made. My transmitter slipped off my belt one day which put a substantial pull (weight of the transmitter) on the cable - and the locking end loosened to the point that it had 1" of play (in & out). This, needless to say, broke the connection. After disassembling it and jury rigging a tighter connection to the plug using electrical tape, I got it working again but it still leaves me wondering why Line 6 wouldn't manufacture the cable to survive this type of a pull. I'm sure I won't be the only one experiencing it. The Best-Tronics cables look far more substantial in all the right places and generally better made. My order has been placed.

Thanks as well for the Best-Tronics Pro Audio Cables recommendation. I ordered a few of these L6G70R-II  Right Angle 1/4†to Straight Locking 1/4†Cable but with Neutrik NP2RX-B right angles instead of Switchcraft or the Neutrik gold silent switch they normally offer.

They seem to be a great company.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my receiver to update, no problem... I've been trying to get the transmitter done, and I constantly get "error code: -9106".

What's the deal here? Do I just keep trying, maybe it'll work, or is there a problem that I'm unaware of?

*Update*

After trying multiple times to get the driver for the TB516G installed (honestly, I lost count of how many times I tried), it magically downloaded, and both receiver and transmitter are now fully up to date. We'll see how it performs tonight!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just did a gig at church, I was about 20 feet away with the receiver sitting up at chest height on my amp and the transmitter hooked to my guitar strap and with nothing in the way, and in a 4 song worship set I had around 30 dropouts. It was HORRIBLE. I wasn't in a place where I could quickly patch into the aux in so I was just screwed. I have done the firmware update on both units and still horrible dropouts. Box is packed up and going to be listed on ebay or gearpage. Very dissapointed with how this went down. It's a really great concept but completely unreliable. I would look back at the receiver and the green light but was blinking insesantly trying to connect to the transmitter. Maybe the Audio Technica wireless system will be better.

• Upvote 1

I'm completely upgraded to the latest level, have 3 transmitters and one G75 receiver. This last weekend I also had a few very quick dropouts on only one of the 3 guitars I am using..  I was about 4 feet from the G75 with no obstructions.. I think they still have a few bugs to work out.  Most of the time its fine though..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just sharing my experiences.

I've been using the G70 for a few months, for around 15 gigs. I use it on my pedal board on the floor, powered by USB (for some reason I get a ground loop hum using it with my Fuel Tank). I wear the tx on my strap, behind my back. The venues I've used it in include pubs, halls, community centres and outdoor on festival stages. I'm a bass player btw. 

So - having spent a good sum on this unit, I was worried when I read the comments above. I thought I heard a couple of drops when I first got the system, and occasionally I think I hear them... but so far all my gigs must have actually been drop-free... because last night I had three definitive drop-outs (at least that was how many I counted; it may have dropped out when I wasn't playing and I didn't notice) of around 30ms – long enough for me to notice (but no-one else in the band heard them. Typical).

For the second set I did a channel scan – and it chose the channel I was already on. But there were no more drop-outs. So I think that's a regular procedure now, to be sure. 

Also, in the second set, I jumped off stage for part of the set (it was a tall stage), and then had to run round backstage to get back on again, while playing. Now I think about it, the sound didn't drop then either. So hopefully we'll be ok. 

By the way, I bought some rechargeable 2300mah batteries and not only to they last four times as long, they're, er, rechargeable too. 

I beleive this product still requires a lot of development, i have been experiencing severe dropouts on stage, even when standing 2 meters away from the receiver. there is a blop 1 second of silence, blop and back. On average i get one of those every 15 minutes. There must be some bugs left in the firmware of this device. I was using a G30 before and never had any problems (of this type). From reading this topic i am not the only one, are you still investigating this problem?

Firmware has been updated to 1.03. I do channel search before a show at the venue but problems only seem to occur when crowd arrives.  I had my local guitar builder/repair guy check the cable aswel. Testing also included wireless rehearsing for about 3 sets of penlites without dropouts.

I believe these quick dropouts are a result of antenna switching, right? it's never been more then a second

The antenna switching is not audible- it must be something else most likely wifi interference. Would it be possible to do a new channel scan when some crowd is in the venue? I know this sounds difficult but it could be that the first scan does not see the wifi when no traffic is happening. Another way would be to ask for the house wifi password, log in with your phone or computer and stream something (youtube etc.) and do a scan while you are streaming over wifi.

I just recently bought the G70 having used the G30 and G50. First gig with it I had multiple dropouts standing practically over the unit. Ive done the software download and will try again to see if performance is better. I bought this unit because of the features like using a standard guitar cable, built in tuner, etc, but if dropouts continue, they dont mean much. Will be back to post my results.