Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G70 -- Drop out experiences?

svenseel

When i log into my wifi router at home i have 12 channels to choose from, so does the G50. when i do the channel select i choose the one that has the least interference between 13 and 16. other band members have older line 6 devices so they should be between 1 and 12. is this a correct way of thinking or do these channels overlap each other?

I just recently bought the G70 having used the G30 and G50. First gig with it I had multiple dropouts standing practically over the unit. Ive done the software download and will try again to see if performance is better. I bought this unit because of the features like using a standard guitar cable, built in tuner, etc, but if dropouts continue, they dont mean much. Will be back to post my results.

Did you buy it used or new? I bought mine new in September and it already came with the updated v1.03 firmware. I had no serious dropout issues, see my experiences here: http://line6.com/support/topic/14892-what-range-i-should-expect-from-the-g70/?p=117624. Since my post, I did another 1 hour show in a wifi-crowded closed area (I think even the sound guy used wifi when mixing from his iPad) without any dropouts. I chose the recommended channel after the scan, although I saw that even the selected channel had some traffic on it sometimes (looking at the small bars under the channel numbers on the displayed scan page on the receiver).

When i log into my wifi router at home i have 12 channels to choose from, so does the G50. when i do the channel select i choose the one that has the least interference between 13 and 16. other band members have older line 6 devices so they should be between 1 and 12. is this a correct way of thinking or do these channels overlap each other?

If some of the older Line6 wireless gear is in RF1 mode this can be a problem. You would need to switch these to RF 2 mode.

The channel numbers on your WiFi and the numbers on your Relay are not related. For example, when you pick WiFi channel 1 and Relay channel 1 you are fine. The Relay channel numbers are designed to be the least likely to interfere with your WiFi. Here is some more detail:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/relay-digital-wireless/rf1rf2-mode-switching-frequencies-r130

Just shipped my G70 back to Line 6 today.  DROPOUTS!  Same as everyone here.  I also tried different cables, scanning, positioning, upgrading firmware, etc.  I literally NEVER move away from my pedalboard.  It's right in front of me, and dropping out.  I mostly just want it wireless to save the clutter.  It's a GB band and appearance counts for a lot.  

I managed a music store for over a decade, and then worked directly for a major manufacturer for 5 years....I'm pretty good at troubleshooting gear issues.

Here's the odd part: I bought TWO transmitters, and one of them works flawlessly with any cable or position.  (the new one that didn't come with the system)  The one that came with the system is the one that drops out constantly.  If its firmware or positioning, then why does one work and not the other???

• Upvote 1

I just bought a brand new g70 and a second transmitter. .. The drop out is horrible even after the firmware update.. How can u sell garbage like this knowing it has major issues..it also disconnects the second transmitter randomly..... I will never use another line 6 product again... Shame on you line 6 !,,Bottom of the garbage can with your junk! I will also be putting a terrible review on my well watched YouTube channel.. Pissed off to say the least!

i am returning my transmitter to Line6. hopefully the new one will work. @megawattharry i dont think your ramblings add anything to the discussion. But i do wonder if Line6 is aware of this issue at all? are you still investigating drop outs or do you keep telling customers to rescan?

I always do the channel scan at soundcheck and if I'm able I redo it just before the show, I also try to put the G70 receiver not at floor level, putting it some 50 to 60 cms off floor seems to help a lot when dropouts happen.

I always select the channel that the scan process tells me, but I'd like to know how to interpret the bars and stuff appearing on the display? I think that would help even more while selecting the best channels. 

Thanks in advance for the reply! 

Good question about the scan display, interests me too. In my mind I am currently interpreting the bars as traffic indicators which show traffic intensity (larger traffic -> taller bars) near the channel below which number they are located. So basically I would think the smaller the bars near the selected channel, the better (ideally no bars at all). But maybe someone from Line6 will give us the correct answer... or maybe we just shouldn't care, just accept the receiver's selection :).

To me it seems like there can be some faulty transmitters out there as there are people who have one transmitter working ok but the other one not. Just by curiosity: can someone who has dropout issues check if they have the auto-sleep-mode on on their transmitters?

Good question about the scan display, interests me too. In my mind I am currently interpreting the bars as traffic indicators which show traffic intensity (larger traffic -> taller bars) near the channel below which number they are located. So basically I would think the smaller the bars near the selected channel, the better (ideally no bars at all). But maybe someone from Line6 will give us the correct answer... or maybe we just shouldn't care, just accept the receiver's selection :).

To me it seems like there can be some faulty transmitters out there as there are people who have one transmitter working ok but the other one not. Just by curiosity: can someone who has dropout issues check if they have the auto-sleep-mode on on their transmitters?

yup.  mine are set to auto sleep.  because....well....that's a cool feature.  If this is the reason for the dropouts, it negates a cool feature.  *sigh*

yup.  mine are set to auto sleep.  because....well....that's a cool feature.  If this is the reason for the dropouts, it negates a cool feature.  *sigh*

Not saying that it is that feature that is causing the dropouts, but could you try to turn that feature off on your transmitter that's doing the dropouts? I am just curious if that solves the problem for your transmitter... On my transmitter the auto sleep is on but I have had no serious dropout issues so far.

Not saying that it is that feature that is causing the dropouts, but could you try to turn that feature off on your transmitter that's doing the dropouts? I am just curious if that solves the problem for your transmitter... On my transmitter the auto sleep is on but I have had no serious dropout issues so far.

I would, but the malfunctioning one was already sent back to Line 6.  My other transmitter works fine.

• 2 months later...

Alright everyone, I think I can help! I was having dropout issues with my G70 occasionally and couldn't figure it out. It wasn't until I bought my latest Sennheiser D1 945 digital wireless mic that things started to really confuse me. Guess what? Same issue. The problem you ask? Our Router!! We forget in most places today we are dealing with a wireless router to run our board interfacing. I used a long Cat5 cable to get the router out of the line of sight for my mic and my G70 at our last show, and miraculously not a single drop out from either!! In talking with Sennheiser they told me the signal strength from a wireless router will win out every time.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright everyone, I think I can help! I was having dropout issues with my G70 occasionally and couldn't figure it out. It wasn't until I bought my latest Sennheiser D1 945 digital wireless mic that things started to really confuse me. Guess what? Same issue. The problem you ask? Our Router!! We forget in most places today we are dealing with a wireless router to run our board interfacing. I used a long Cat5 cable to get the router out of the line of sight for my mic and my G70 at our last show, and miraculously not a single drop out from either!! In talking with Sennheiser they told me the signal strength from a wireless router will win out every time.

I've been working through the same issues as everyone else. In my case, I had a run of success in the beginning. Like everyone else though, I've had bad connectivity and it became unuseable in my last three situations. One gig at a bar, one gig at a golf club house, and one rehearsal at my typical band space. So if the wifi router strength is the issue, how can we even control that and more appropriately, why should we have to? What doesn't make sense either is I was told from Line 6 support that the G70 has better connectivity than the G50 I owned. I never had one interference or connectivity issue, ever, using the G50. Granted I didn't use the G50 for every gig and I only gig about 10-12 times a year, but the G70 has been horribly unpredictable. So that's the main point here. There are tons of people having serious issues with this product and it's not stable enough for paid gigs, IMO.

Besides going back to a G50, what are some other options that are dependable and sound good. I will give the G70 kudos on sound quality. I don't care as much about the additional feature set. I want sound and connectivity. Anyone have any thoughts on a pro solution that works well?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working through the same issues as everyone else. In my case, I had a run of success in the beginning. Like everyone else though, I've had bad connectivity and it became unuseable in my last three situations. One gig at a bar, one gig at a golf club house, and one rehearsal at my typical band space. So if the wifi router strength is the issue, how can we even control that and more appropriately, why should we have to? What doesn't make sense either is I was told from Line 6 support that the G70 has better connectivity than the G50 I owned. I never had one interference or connectivity issue, ever, using the G50. Granted I didn't use the G50 for every gig and I only gig about 10-12 times a year, but the G70 has been horribly unpredictable. So that's the main point here. There are tons of people having serious issues with this product and it's not stable enough for paid gigs, IMO.

Besides going back to a G50, what are some other options that are dependable and sound good. I will give the G70 kudos on sound quality. I don't care as much about the additional feature set. I want sound and connectivity. Anyone have any thoughts on a pro solution that works well?

Have you tried switching off the sleep mode?  Is it possible it is turning off on you because of this feature?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just adding myself to the list of totally disappointed and dissatisfied G70 users. Dropouts galore. Totally not a useable product, not in rehearsal let alone gigs.

Have updated both transmitter and receiver to 1.03. No difference.

Have tried other 1/4" cables.

Have tried different batteries.

Have transmitter on strap behind me. Am standing right next to the receiver. Receiver is on a pedal board that is angled up off the ground about 2 inches.

So everything they say to try I have to no avail. 

The only thing I haven't tried is another transmitter. I did read in this thread of someone having a second transmitter (not the one that comes bundled) and having it work perfectly. Which makes me wonder, did Line6 fix a hardware issue later that they are not owing up to?

Where do I go from here? I'm in Australia, do I take it back to the shop or direct to Line 6?  I bought the unit 6 months ago and am over waiting for a fix.

I did have one idea, which I haven't tested. I'm powering the receiver via the power input off my pedal power on the board. I have not tried the USB adapter. Will test this soon. 

Is anyone here experiencing drop outs using the USB power adapter?

Cheers,

Pete

I FIXED THIS PROBLEM

i opened the receiver, and had to disassemble the entire thing to get to the four antennas.... connecting them and the actual transmitter circuit are these pretty standard micro coaxial connectors, every single one on mine was loose... not disconnected but clearly loose... i gently squeezed the each one, and pressed them back in place, feeling that they were clearly connected much tighter, reassembled the device and voila! works like day one.

I FIXED THIS PROBLEM

i opened the receiver, and had to disassemble the entire thing to get to the four antennas.... connecting them and the actual transmitter circuit are these pretty standard micro coaxial connectors, every single one on mine was loose... not disconnected but clearly loose... i gently squeezed the each one, and pressed them back in place, feeling that they were clearly connected much tighter, reassembled the device and voila! works like day one.

That sounds like a reasonable cause of the problem, do you by any change made pictures of how it's done?

• 1 month later...

Yikes!

This thing sounds like a total piece of crap. Here is the thing I don't understand, Line 6 or any company for that matter develops a product. In this case the Relay G 70. I imagine that they test the product pretty thoroughly before giving it a thumbs up to move to production. I can't imagine that Line 6 tested the Relay, experienced these horrible drop outs/other issues and moved to production anyway. That would be like saying "F'ck it, we'll release a product that we know is severely flawed, collect the money from our vendors and work out the fix details later, money in hand."

That just can't be what's happening here. Maybe it's that Line 6 developed and tested the G70 and it was flawless. No drops, no issues! Something must have gone terribly wrong during mass production.

Who actually manufactures Line6 products? Is it Line 6 China or do they farm it out? I think they farm it out to some company in China.

Either way, why screw around with these silly Firmware bug "fixes" that clearly don't work! Issue a recall! Give the vendors back their money, fix what needs to be fixed, find someone else to assemble the product. Test those products when they come off the boat and send the ones that perform flawlessly to vendors.

Line 6 might go out of business following my business approach, but hey, they will be remembered as a company that made flawless gear and peoples G 70's will work!

Quality control seems to be the Line 6 achillies heel.

Went to my local guitar shop today and played through a heavily discounted Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series limited edition anniversary model amp. Completely and totally UNDERWHELMED! Even at a discount, not worth it at a all! More importantly, the shop had Relay G 70's on sale! Like a blow out sale!

I had a grand in my pocket that was burning a hole in it and given what I have read here, there is no way in hell I would purchase this thing!

Is any one having success with these Relays? Not the "firmware update" circus Line 6 can put one through. But, straight out of the box, no hassle, works perfectly as advertised kind of success?

Guys, I'm telling you, it's a router issue plain and simple. The signal strength of a router is much stronger than any wireless. They will continuously fight within the 2.4ghz range. You can't just shut of 2.4 on your router, you have to go deep within your advanced settings for your router and actually disable the 2.4ghz antenna. Otherwise while it may not be transferring data over 2.4 it will still be sending a signal which will interfere with your wireless. Since I did this I have literally had zero instances of dropouts. And I play live every weekend. With this issue figured out, it has been by far, the best wireless network unit I've ever owned. And I had switched from Sennheiser evolution units. This is an absolute solution!

Guys, I'm telling you, it's a router issue plain and simple. The signal strength of a router is much stronger than any wireless. They will continuously fight within the 2.4ghz range. You can't just shut of 2.4 on your router, you have to go deep within your advanced settings for your router and actually disable the 2.4ghz antenna. Otherwise while it may not be transferring data over 2.4 it will still be sending a signal which will interfere with your wireless. Since I did this I have literally had zero instances of dropouts. And I play live every weekend. With this issue figured out, it has been by far, the best wireless network unit I've ever owned. And I had switched from Sennheiser evolution units. This is an absolute solution!

Yes you can do that at your home but why would you play wirelessly at home? i am still suffering from dropouts as soon as i move away from my pedal board... maybe go of the stage during a sound check. i beleive this is a early production flaw and it must be resolved at the moment since there are so little posts here. 

Most units do not operate in 2.4ghz. Example: Sennheiser 516-900's mhz. This of coarse was one of the issues this unit solves. The FCC has taken away frequencies in the past leaving your unit illegal to operate.

The reason I'm so adamant about this fix is that I had all the issues in the beginning and completely fixed them.

My posts are not in reference to at home playing as I play corded at home. I am referring to our router used for our control of our FOH and monitors.

When if ever do I get a drop out? When I get far enough off stage to have the venues router become an issue.

I have yet to play a venue where their router is anywhere near the stage.

I am having dropouts too, which bums me out  because the G70 has THE best tone of any wireless since the old Nady FM monsters.  Is everyone using the micro USB to power the unit?  I am thinking my 9v adapter might be causing the dropouts.

Most units do not operate in 2.4ghz. Example: Sennheiser 516-900's mhz. This of coarse was one of the issues this unit solves. The FCC has taken away frequencies in the past leaving your unit illegal to operate.

The reason I'm so adamant about this fix is that I had all the issues in the beginning and completely fixed them.

My posts are not in reference to at home playing as I play corded at home. I am referring to our router used for our control of our FOH and monitors.

When if ever do I get a drop out? When I get far enough off stage to have the venues router become an issue.

I have yet to play a venue where their router is anywhere near the stage.

That sounds fine and well. Until you play a stage that does have a router near the stage. Or the router next door is close enough to cause an issue or there is one of those mega routers around, or, or, or.....There are very few places on earth that don't have a router nearby.

So what we have is this bomb a$$ wireless gizmo that costs roughly $400. But be careful, because if it comes in close proximity to this other gizmo that EVERYBODY has, it ain't gonna work too well?

Oh hells yeah! Sign me up!

Well?

It came with the current firmware on it, I turned "off" the sleep mode and tested it in my home studio walking around walls including the wall my wifi router is mounted on and had no dropouts. I'll test it at our next gig once I get a right-angle cable for the transmitter pack. I think I'll go with the Bestronics one ColonelForbin mentioned as it looks like a quality cable. http://btpa.com/L6G70R-II.html

It came with the current firmware on it, I turned "off" the sleep mode and tested it in my home studio walking around walls including the wall my wifi router is mounted on and had no dropouts. I'll test it at our next gig once I get a right-angle cable for the transmitter pack. I think I'll go with the Bestronics one ColonelForbin mentioned as it looks like a quality cable. http://btpa.com/L6G70R-II.html

Cool! Please keep us posted! I so want to believe in Line 6! I do believe in Line 6, but damn! Why is this forum filled with so many ugly stories of disappointment and "iffy" performance?

Errrr! 

• 1 month later...

I bit the bullet and got a G70. Don't know why given the horror stories on this thread. Did an outdoor gig and it performed flawlessly. Works flawlessly around my house. (house full if wifi tech)

We'll see on our next gig in a club.

• 4 weeks later...

So,

We can't play at home because the WiFi.

We can't play in a club because the WiFi and cells. If anybody here plays in a stadium... just he must ask everyone there that turn off their phones if they want to hear the guitar? XXI Century and Line 6 made a product that can't be placed in anywhere if there is civilization near to?

Maybe you suggest that we must play in the forest for the animals?

Today I got dropouts during 20 minutes every 4 to 10 seconds. about 1 second each one.

Just bought it and I'm about to refund it. My old, tiny and cheap AKG wireless system works much and much better, since 10 years now... with a single AAA battery and the size of the Jack + the battery. I loose some tone with it, but at least the audience can hear me from the beginning to the end of the gig (maybe are we asking too much, Line 6 staff?). Even putting the receiver inside a box in a gig with 500 people and walking away about 40 meters of distance I get sound from my cheap AKG.

I can't imagine how works G70 before the " important update".

By the way: tested without any WiFi nearby and perfect cable conditions. Same results. And I don't want forget to mention that G70 also suck the tone (and not in a few amount). Please, test your gear with cable and after that with G70 in the best PA system as possible. You will notice that. It's like you decrease the value of your gain almost a 10%. And that is not possible to recover adding gain in the G70 menu because you won't be able to achieve that. You can increase the volumen if you want, but the low-end and guitar body sound is lost anyway.

It's really a shame. The last thing I buy from Line 6. Almost 500€ for this? Are you serious? This is a scam. Definitely this is not a piece of gear for professionals. It's only an expensive and unfinished toy.

Looking for other wireless guitar systems. I think no one can be worst considering that every wireless system used before it sounds, at least.

• Downvote 1

I have got the unit since almost a year now. During this period I have always used the G70: on rehearsals, at home and all the gigs too with my band (~3 gigs a month), mainly with electric guitar (lately I used it with an acoustic too). I utilize the scenes on the receiver, I have 2 scenes, one with a 6 dB boost for nice sustain with single coils.

During my use of the G70 I had only one gig where I experienced two 1 second dropouts during a 1 hour show. At that gig there were many strong wifi hot spots in the area, during the channel scan I saw lots of traffic in the form of those little bars on the scan screen. Apart from that gig I had no dropout problems at gigs. Ah no, sorry I had one gig outdoors where the sun was shining so hot on my pedals that I could barely touch the receiver unit. There I had 2 1 sec droputs during a solo, and when I tried to look at the unit after the song I saw that it has just turned itself off (I guess to protect itself from the heat). After a half hour cool down time it was back in operation again and working without problems since then. My home/rehearsal experience I already described here, nothing changed since then.

• Downvote 1

I just bought a G75 to put in my acoustic rack and a G70 to put on my pedal board.  This weekend I played a large festival running my acoustic guitar through one transmitter into the G75, out to my K4 preamp, and into the house, and my electric guitar through the second transmitter, into the same G75 and straight out to my Bogner.  The flexibility of these units is amazing as I don't have to bring my full rig to mix and match guitars and outputs.  And the tone is absolutely flawless!  BUT...

The problem is every time I ran across the stage to jam with the other guitar player during solos, when I cam back towards my own backline and my body was in between the transmitter on my back and the G75 receiver, BOTH of my guitars would cut out until I turned around with my back facing my rack and my body was no longer in the way.  This happened to both of my guitars through two brand new transmitters set on different channels, every time my body was in between the transmitter and the receiver.  I've read a few comments on here about where you are wearing the transmitter makes a difference.  That should be a non issue.  If I want to stuff this thing in my boot and wear it on my head, it should work.  

Yes this was a large stage with 6 different bands and 30,000 in attendance.  Yes there were lots of In-Ear systems and large antennas operating.  Yes there were probably 50 WiFi signals shooting across the sky, but my question is... Are these units Toys or professional products?  And to be clear, they were running on the latest firmware.  

If these units are only meant to be used in bars and pubs with a hand full of musicians, and 150 beer drinkers, then that's how they should be marketed.  Half way through our set, I realized my body was causing the dropouts so I started shimmying sideways across the stage just to keep the transmitter and receiver facing each other.  As long as I looked like an idiot, I could prevent the dropouts from happening.  But seriously?  I have used a couple $400 dollar, single channel, UHF Shure wireless packs for the last 10 years with NO dropouts ever!  I just figured it was finally time to upgrade into the digital age and some newer technology, and all the features of these G70 and 75 units seemed amazing.  

I also read the best practices section in the manual and if you rack these units up in any way, you are breaking the rules.  We're running a rack of PSM900 ears and everyone but our drummer is wireless on every instrument in some form or another.  My rack is full of metal shelves, metal edges, metal clasps, multiple preamps with metal housings, a metal power strip, etc.  You can't tell me I've got to keep this thing away from metal objects and other wireless devices or it's not going to work.  I can't keep this thing in the cardboard box and set it up on it's own little wooden stand at every show.  A great product will work even when it's not supposed to.  

I've got a weekend off, and then it's back out to more shows.  I'll do some testing around my house and give these another weekend or two, but it they can't compete with the reliability of my 10 year old UHF packs, I'll be sending both the G70 and G75 back for sure.  I really do hope they shine over the next few weeks because when they work, they are stellar.  

Totally agree with you. This is an expensive, 'cool' and a non professional toy.

Clearly it's not made to the real life of a professional musician.

Yes, sounds good... when it can sound. It's not enough by far. And I'm happy for those who tell that this is a zero problems product but wake up please, only few of you have zero problems. The reality is that this is a unrealiable and unuseful piece of gear if you use it for professional purposes... and even when not.

The other day I play in a very very small village, outside of it (I mean, very far from any WiFi hotspot you can imagine. Probably the nearest WiFi spot would be at least at 100 meters of distance from the stage), almost in the forest (in fact, we were in the beginning of the forest). The result? The most humiliating moments ever as a musician. I couldn't move  more tan 1 meter from the receiver. I tried to jump out the stage, but once I did it, impossible to make it sound my guitar. The singer told me that in that moment he saw the green light in the receiver turned completely off when my guitar sound dissapeared. How can you explain that unless there are WiFi trees?

Maybe a faulty unit? Maybe, but then... almost every unit is faulty?

Moreover, it's incredible to receive negative points for telling only facts. I think the fanboys were only a thing of the videogames world and all that kind of things.

I bit the bullet and purchased a G70. Glad I did. Have not had a sing problem with it. Not to undermine those who are experiencing issues. I know how incredibly frustrating that is! Not sure why so many are experiencing issues and I am not. I've been on both sides of the "why won't my line 6 gear work as advertised" street.

Truly maddening!