Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting a decent tone out of a Fender Twin with pedals

PeterJH

Somebody posted about not being able to get a decent distortion from a Fender Twin with pedals.

I've made these clips using the BF "LUX NRM amp with the default speaker. I used the SM57 off axis though. I also used the Tube Drive for one of the clips and then the Tube Screamer for the other two.

I just turned the drive down slightly on the amp for one of the Tube Screamer clips.

Clip 1:   BF "LUX with Tube Drive - https://soundcloud.com/peters-patch-parade/fender-twin-with-tube-drive

Clip 2:   BF 'LUX with Tube Screamer - Amp drive higher - https://soundcloud.com/peters-patch-parade/fender-twin-with-tube-sreamer-amp-drive-higher

Clip 3:    BF 'LUX with Tube Screamer - Amp Drive Lower - https://soundcloud.com/peters-patch-parade/fender-twin-with-tube-sreamer-amp-drive-lower

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

• Upvote 4

Man, I'm becoming a PeterJH groupie. When I see a post from him, I drop everything, turn off iTunes and get right into the thick of it.  :)  Thank you Peter, you are a very generous man!

Tube Drive always sounds much smoother (to me) this is very close to the tone I prefer.

Tube Screamer (drive higher) very dark and muddy.

Tube Screamer (drive lower) sounds much better (again to me).

Peter, this is your Les Paul in the bridge position?

Yes, it's my Les Paul. I used different pick up settings on the Low Drive clip.

It is a bit dark but it would be very easy to brighten by using the amps settings.

It didn't take very long to put these clips together and I will spend a bit more time on them when I've got some free time. I know that the Fender sim could sound better with a bit more effort.

Cheers.

When I read the title of your post I was curious about how you got a nice dust pedal sound with the twin, but I see you actually used the deluxe. That makes more sense. Nice tones and playing.

Have you spent much time with the divided by 13? I think it does the fender thing even better than fenders.

When I read the title of your post I was curious about how you got a nice dust pedal sound with the twin, but I see you actually used the deluxe. That makes more sense. Nice tones and playing.

Have you spent much time with the divided by 13? I think it does the fender thing even better than fenders.          

I haven't even looked at that amp. I'm gonna give it a go.

I've never been a fan of Fender amps. I've always found them too bright and I have to back down the top end.

Thanks.

Peter,

Just out of curiosity, were you planning to post any of your Blackface 'Lux patches? I for one would be interested if you made them available.

Thanks for all of your videos and patches! I've really enjoyed hearing you play and seeing the tones you're able to produce.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, yes, I will update my website with the new patches.

We left to do a short tour to the coast for a few gigs and I didn't have time to make them available. I'd also like to spend a bit more time on them before I upload them.

Hi Gui,

I don't run the POD direct to the PA. I still use an amp and my pedalboard. We played at a festival at the coast on Saturday and I played through a Marshall TSL122 and 4 X 12.

It was a huge festival with about 10 000 people and I wasn't gonna try the HD500X out for the first time there.

I will try out at another gig but I'll play into my amp and mic it.

@ Dark Star, thanks for your comment.