Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Very quiet wireless system

hi there,

i am the new proud owner of a xd-v55 wireless system, so far so good, but i am having some issues with the audio level.
i notice that when i talk with the bundled headset i only register 1 bar of audio signal on the receiver. If i shout very loudly i can just manage 2 bars. I would'nt bring this up, but i have to increase the gain so high on my audio interface that it introduces noise. 

Is this normal? As it stands it is too low for what i need it for. I am sure it is something i have missed, but i have ensured to purchase a interface with low noise to start with and high quality xlr.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

G_N

You are plugging in to a microphone input on your interface aren't you? The output on the receiver is set up so that it's roughly the same level as you would get out of a normal wired microphone.

Don't worry too much about the level meters - you have to be quite loud for them to light up much.

Do you mean you tried the Rode mic connected to your Line6 transmitter or connected directly to your Tascam interface?

Some basic troubleshooting required here:

What happens if you connect a normal microphone (SM58 or whatever) to your Tascam - are the levels OK there?

What happens if you connect your Line6 receiver to a different mixer or interface - how are the levels?

It's only by going through a process of elimination that you'll be able to determine exactly where the problem lies.

i plugged the Rode into the Line6 Transmitter.

Your right about the process of elimination method though. I will buy some other mics to test a few things and get back to you. Just a quick question, would i gain anything by setting the Tascam xlr port to give phantom power ? Would it help the signal coming from the line6 ?

Many thanks

No - don't turn on the phantom power. That's only used if you're connecting microphones that require it - usually condenser mics. It's not needed if you connect other equipment like a radio mic receiver; in some cases it can cause damage if the other equipment isn't designed to handle it.