Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD Pro line input/live question

Diddly69

I'm going from my POD HD Pro to a power amplifier to a cab for live.

My question is what is the difference between +4 and -10 ? Also, what is ideal for live... Studio mode or power amp or combo mode? Still not really sure.

Thank you in advance :)

From the web...

Line level refers to the level or strength of an audio signal - there are two main types of line level:

• Consumer line level is usually -10dBV (0.316 volts) and is what you will find in products like a CD player or hi-fi amplifier.
  • Professional  line  level  reference  is  +4  dBu  (1.23  volts  or  higher)  and  is  found  on  a  mixing  desk,  wireless system and signal-processing equipment.

More than likely, your power amp is “expecting†the +4 signal, so set your Pod Pro to LINE and use the balanced (XLR) outs to your amp.

As far as the Studio mode Vs Combo/Stack mode… from the manual:

• Studio/Direct: Typically the best option when connecting “Direct†to a mixing console or recording device. This signal includes “Studio†Cab Models, Mic Model and an “AIR†convolution to best emulate a mic’ed amp within a room.
  • Combo and Stack settings: Optimizes your tone for connecting to an external amplifier. The signal includes “Live†Cab Models, with no Mic Model or “AIR†convolution, with a special EQ curve added for each.

I run a Full Range Frequency Response (FRFR) rig with my HD500X – I use two self-powered PA speakers – so I use the Studio/Direct setting. You didn’t say if you were using a PA speaker or not for your cab, so I’m assuming you mean something like a 4x12 cab. In that case, I would give the Stack Power Amp mode a try. Its sound is tailored a bit more for toward the rig you have.

That being said, you can use either mode… it really depends on what sounds the best. Try them both and see what works best to your ear.

From the web...

Line level refers to the level or strength of an audio signal - there are two main types of line level:

• Consumer line level is usually -10dBV (0.316 volts) and is what you will find in products like a CD player or hi-fi amplifier.
  • Professional  line  level  reference  is  +4  dBu  (1.23  volts  or  higher)  and  is  found  on  a  mixing  desk,  wireless system and signal-processing equipment.

More than likely, your power amp is “expecting†the +4 signal, so set your Pod Pro to LINE and use the balanced (XLR) outs to your amp.

As far as the Studio mode Vs Combo/Stack mode… from the manual:

• Studio/Direct: Typically the best option when connecting “Direct†to a mixing console or recording device. This signal includes “Studio†Cab Models, Mic Model and an “AIR†convolution to best emulate a mic’ed amp within a room.
  • Combo and Stack settings: Optimizes your tone for connecting to an external amplifier. The signal includes “Live†Cab Models, with no Mic Model or “AIR†convolution, with a special EQ curve added for each.

I run a Full Range Frequency Response (FRFR) rig with my HD500X – I use two self-powered PA speakers – so I use the Studio/Direct setting. You didn’t say if you were using a PA speaker or not for your cab, so I’m assuming you mean something like a 4x12 cab. In that case, I would give the Stack Power Amp mode a try. Its sound is tailored a bit more for toward the rig you have.

That being said, you can use either mode… it really depends on what sounds the best. Try them both and see what works best to your ear.

Thank you!

Is it okay if i'm using unbalanced outs with line selected ?

I was going into my 4x12 that will be mic'd for the PA if that helps.

Thank you!

Is it okay if i'm using unbalanced outs with line selected ?

I was going into my 4x12 that will be mic'd for the PA if that helps.

The balanced XLRs are better for long cable runs and noise rejection, but the 1/4" unbalanced outs will work as well.

In an "ideal situation," you would run the balanced outputs to the Front of House (FOH) mixer/PA and then use the unbalanced outs to run your 4x12 cab just as a monitor for onstage. That way you wouldn't need to mic your cab for the PA. But, this route takes a bit more time to get your tones right, and isn't always an option.