Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which size Graphtech Ghosts for Variax 600

I've ordered and installed the size recommended on there website 8000-00. I now have ghost notes when using alt tuning. The saddles are snug against each other almost seem to tight. The ghost notes stop when I bring down the adjacent string volume.

Anyone installed these on a 600?

Thanks, Jim

You need to reduce your string volume when you install these.  They are way hotter than the standard Variax piezos.  You may be overdriving the modeling FW.  I brought mine down to 50% on my Variax 500.

Hi Charlie, just a note to say, not sure if Graphtech changed anything in the design, but I initially turned mind down as you suggested and I lost all the presence from my guitar. I turned them back up again. My stock 500 and the 500 with ghost saddles are sonically interchangeable. I am not noticing any ghost notes or overdriven patches.

I tried my 500  first without turning them down and it did not sound right.  Way louder.  The string volume adjustment is a nice one to have though.  I think the ghosts have less of the normal piezo plinky sound.  They are potted into the plastic saddles so they can't move like the standard ones can.

I tried my 500  first without turning them down and it did not sound right.  Way louder.  The string volume adjustment is a nice one to have though.  I think the ghosts have less of the normal piezo plinky sound.  They are potted into the plastic saddles so they can't move like the standard ones can.

Being cased inside the saddle might help reduce the plinking sound I guess. I might install these on my 600 one day, but first thing I need to do is try to get the 1/4 fixed on mine.

Strings have been breaking a lot on the saddles, and I've tried to sand them to get rid of burrs, but it's just not working out. I'd like to have my 600 as a backup to my JTV.

• 3 months later...

I've ordered and installed the size recommended on there website 8000-00. I now have ghost notes when using alt tuning. The saddles are snug against each other almost seem to tight. The ghost notes stop when I bring down the adjacent string volume.

Anyone installed these on a 600?

Thanks, Jim

Hey Jim, did you ever iron out your issue with the new saddles? I'm planning on ordering me up some of these also. Thanks for posting the size (8000-00). I have a 600 also.

Thanks all for your posts.

Rick :)

Hey Jim, did you ever iron out your issue with the new saddles? I'm planning on ordering me up some of these also. Thanks for posting the size (8000-00). I have a 600 also.

Thanks all for your posts.

Rick :)

I just lodged a support ticket at Graph Tech regarding the "bleed" scenario in alternate tunings. For some reason it seems to be really noticable in open G tuning for me. I'm hoping something can be inserted between the piezos (which ARE very close together - I'd even say touching each other), which will remedy the situation.

Here's a sample recorded just now with the first half showing two things:

1/ The A (detuned to G) sounds as it should - (G), and the 1st E sounds as it should (D)

2/ Also audible is the bleed through of the D,G, and B strings, when only the A and 1st E strings are at 50% volume and all others at 0%.

The second half shows bleedthrough in all strings (though not really audible on 6th E), with all string volumes at 70%, which is my "match" to the original L R Baggs output.

Piezo bleed examples.mp3

Copy/paste from Graphtech's response to my query regarding the piezo bleed problem in alt tunings:

Thank you for the email and support of Graph Tech. I would be happy to comment on your predicament.

I have heard some industry feedback that the Line6 platform is somewhat susceptible to some moderate cross-talk (especially when it comes to alternate tunings). Although you can add a mechanical divider of some kind, the best option is to create space between saddles to reduce "bleed". You can remove small amounts of material off the side to improve coupling

I hope that helps

I responded asking the best way to attack it without damaging the piezos - I await with bated breath, before sallying forth with the bastard file... :ph34r:
  • Upvote 1

Copy/paste from Graphtech's response to my query regarding the piezo bleed problem in alt tunings:

Thank you for the email and support of Graph Tech. I would be happy to comment on your predicament.

I have heard some industry feedback that the Line6 platform is somewhat susceptible to some moderate cross-talk (especially when it comes to alternate tunings). Although you can add a mechanical divider of some kind, the best option is to create space between saddles to reduce "bleed". You can remove small amounts of material off the side to improve coupling

I hope that helps

I responded asking the best way to attack it without damaging the piezos - I await with bated breath, before sallying forth with the bastard file... :ph34r:

You should be able to lay the saddle side, on a sheet of fine sandpaper (800) and rub it. I would have a measuring device on hand like a dial caliper so you can monitor the amount of material you are removing from each side.

You should be able to lay the saddle side, on a sheet of fine sandpaper (800) and rub it. I would have a measuring device on hand like a dial caliper so you can monitor the amount of material you are removing from each side.

Thanks for chipping in LeeSteel - have you actually done this - I'm unaware how soft these saddles are, and how much time will be used to simply use sandpaper, or if a mechanical abrasive would be better, (eg dremel type tool with a tool sharpening bit installed), or would that be overkill?

NB I am not removing the piezos from the guitar - too much faffing around , de-soldering, re-soldering etc - I'm just going to loosen the saddles enough to turn em on their sides, and set to with whatever abrasive method I find is best suited for the job. I'd just jump in and do it, but don't want to mess it up....

Edited by eenymason

Thanks for chipping in LeeSteel - have you actually done this - I'm unaware how soft these saddles are, and how much time will be used to simply use sandpaper, or if a mechanical abrasive would be bette,r (eg dremel type tool with a tool sharpening bit installed), or would that be overkill?

I have done a Ghost transplant on one of my 500s. I currently use 2 alternate tunings. Drop D and Capo Ab. I haven't noticed any cross talk but when I do my next transplant, (coming up soon) I will pay closer attention to the space between. I would honestly recommend sand paper. I think you would be able to be more accurate. On slip of a dremel tool (and I have one of those too) and you are done. The ghost saddle material seems to be tuff but I don't think it would be any harder than shaping a brass nut. I have not tried this yet I am just guessing. I did use a small piece of emory cloth to take some sharp edges off the ghost saddles that I put on a strat once. (non piezo string savers).

Ok, despite common sense as prescribed by well intentioned sources of information, I used a sanding bit in my dremel tool to sand off about .5mm from each side of the A,D,G and B piezos, and off the "inside" edge of the two Es. So all up I have around 1mm extra gap in between piezos. I found this to be both quicker, and actually much easier that trying to sand by hand, with the piezo having limited mobility due to it's still being attached to the guitar by it's wiring. Light touch - easy job really, once you get the hang of it.

The aural results are attached - for some reason (as I've already mentioned elsewhere), it seems really obvious when I use an open G tuning. This one is using a Tele with a P90 near the bridge through a Blackface 'Lux Vib with a bit of bite dialled in - think "Keef". Other detuned choices sound far less "off" to me.

In the attached recording I have played each string individually, the first instance of each note is the pre-sanded sound, the second is the post-sanded sound, to make it easier to hear the difference. It's only when picking individual notes, that any of these sound "off". As a chord, they're totally acceptable.

Piezo bleed_less bleed examples.mp3

• 3 months later...