Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can we talk FireHawk?

Explorer766

Just got it. Many concerns.

1) So can the amps be expanded with the new Firmware update for the 500x?

2) I swapped it out of my PC system...took out HD500x and put in Firehawk (as interface) and now I get no sound from my PC...but it does play sound from my IPad (YouTube etc) huh? that ain't gonna work guys...

3) No dual sound patches with Firehawk?

4) Tone library must be searched specifically by a phrase...I can't just browse the whole user tone bank? Ugh.

5) Not even listed in the Monkey. again, no sound from PC.

just very confused as a 500 and 500x owner regarding what I am losing besides 21 HD amp models. None of the release info from Line 6 has addressed the concerns of HD owners looking to move to the Firehawk. Right now I'm going to piddle around with it but if I keep hitting seeming dead ends with no support from Line 6 I'm just going to take it back.

I love the Line 6 products but the last 2 years have been weird with these pedals...the HD500 replaced by the 500x (which I did) and then lost all the vast user generated patches in the tone library. For what?

now the Firehawk seemed to be bringing all the benefits of HD and the older sound engine together...but there's an abundance of old amps in comparison to HD amps and no offer to get this thing fully

HD updated.

I'm a fairly intelligent dude guys but I have no idea what the Firehawk vs HD 500 vs 500x benefits/losses amount to...and I've owned all 3.

help.

the HD500 replaced by the 500x (which I did) and then lost all the vast user generated patches in the tone library. For what?

don't understand that... the 500X loads all the 500 patches with ease...  But otherwise I hear ya.  No reason I can think of for a 500(X) user to switch to Firehawk...

Well, first off, the Firehawk isn't really meant to be a successor or upgrade to the 500 or 500X. Really, in most ways, the HD PODs are still more advanced in terms of signal routing and flexibility. The Firehawk is really meant to a product that offers a simplified user experience.

To address your specific question:

1) Maybe. It wouldn't be all the model packs, though, as some of the amps in the new model packs are already in the Firehawk.

2) I'm not really sure what you're saying here. Are you trying to use the Firehawk as your soundcard? You're saying you're not getting the system sounds from the PC? Are you sure it's set up as the default soundcard?

3) Nope, no dual tones.

4) Can't really comment on that one.

5) I don't believe Firehawk is going to see Monkey support. I think there will a separate USB utility similar to what Amplifi uses for updates.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

firstly Phil M in looking for a button to respond directly to your helpful post I accidentally downgraded your post. No offering to correct my error here. Nice. sorry dude. That's the last thing I intended to do.

Both responses appreciated although my attempts to download 500 sounds to the 500x from the user bank don't work. PDXguitarfreak has a video that kind of shows how to change the file extension. I tried once. I don't get it. Not worth the trouble. Just a disappointing surprise when "upgrading" to the 500x from the 500...a pointless upgrade in my opinion....and too close to the release of the 500. Not sure how Line 6 did with that but from my perspective if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot they shot me in the foot. And Again I have to thank Line 6 for not making clear enough for casual users like myself what one would lose by moving from an HD to Firehawk. For me it was a mistake. And I imagine for others too.

I can see now this Firehawk is a step backwards from the HD. I liked the simplicity of the Firehawk board itself and IOS looked promising. IMO the app is very limited. I had no idea you lose dual sound. And my fault but I swore you got all the HD amps in the Firehawk. my bad. I'm out, taking this back.

And yes, was looking to use Firehawk as my sound card as I do with 500x. PC has a problem with Firehawk and troubleshoot failed. Again. over and out Firehawk FX.

Both responses appreciated although my attempts to download 500 sounds to the 500x from the user bank don't work. PDXguitarfreak has a video that kind of shows how to change the file extension. I tried once. I don't get it. Not worth the trouble.

use the POD HD Conversion utility to convert all your 500 tones to 500X, it works great...  linked here.

I think of the Firehawk as more akin to the Amplifi, as to the HD. Bluetooth with a merging of some of the HD models, and most or all of the XT X3 models.. It has no L6link, so that killed it for me. I have three DT25's so.... As for Bluetooth? Meh. Not for me. Cool idea! But no dual amp model patches. Another no-go for me.

As for porting non HD models, since the Firehawk doesn't do Preamp only versions, it's intended target veers well away from HD land..

I have been using the Firehawk for a few days and here are a few early thoughts. 

Positive

- The interface is great. Very simple to use and and edit the unit. Much simpler than the HD500X but you lose a lot of effects, amps and features. 

- The color coded pedels are fantastic compared to all red.

- The digital readout is much better than the HD500X .. for giging its going to be really easy to find tones.

- You can use it without a amp mod. I don't think its true bypass but I tested it and it sounds the same as directly plugged into the amp with the NO AMP chosen.

Not Positive 

- Right off the bat I noticed you can not assign a pedal for the EQ (not to mention there is only one EQ to choose) why?

- You can only use 5 effects at once. It is one more than the M13 but more limited then the HD500X.

- Not duel amp setups like HD500X (this has been mentioned a lot)

- This is subtle but for me it is a issue. It is really easy to hit one of the tone selection buttons when you are turning on and off effects (only can do this on top row of selectors) The buttons are almost on the same plane. It could really screw you up gigging if you are not careful. It would be nice if they let you set a lock button or need to hit the down arrow first to engage the tone selection buttons. I see this as the biggest problem with the unit so far. Or maybe just allow you to pick what you want on top or bottom … the effects or tone patches. My guess is that this lights on the bottom are only red for the tone patches. 

- No lights on the up and down selectors. Even if they were just a dime white it would be nice so you can see them on a dark stage. ( I know I am nit picking ) 

- A lot less effects and amps to choose from on this than the HD500X or the M13. I don't get this. At this price point they should have everything in there that they offer. 

- No looper … come on guys again at this price point it needs to be there. 

With all this said it is a very solid unit and I think it will be great to gig with. I am going to try and replace my M13 with it and see how it goes. It will be much easier to find preset song patches than trying to remember where they are on the M13. The digital readout is a big step in the right direction as this is a major problem on stage with the M13 or the HD500X for me. It gives me what I need and hopefully they will improve it over time like the M13.

I can tell you this when they decide to combine all of the versatility of the HD500X with the IOS interface it is going to be one bad lollipop unit. Firehawk is not quite there yet but my guess is the next POD HD?00? will have this tech and it will be a beast. I look forward to that day. 

Hope this helps.

Mine will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Looking forward to trying it out finally. The hd500x was just too much of a hassle for me so I think this was made for people like me , but I'm curious to see just how many effects are missing. I used to love my x3 live ...

I have a jtv69 variax so I'm really looking forward to how it matches up. I already downloaded the apps.

- You can only use 5 effects at once. It is one more than the M13 but more limited then the HD500X.

- This is subtle but for me it is a issue. It is really easy to hit one of the tone selection buttons when you are turning on and off effects (only can do this on top row of selectors) The buttons are almost on the same plane. It could really screw you up gigging if you are not careful. It would be nice if they let you set a lock button or need to hit the down arrow first to engage the tone selection buttons. I see this as the biggest problem with the unit so far. Or maybe just allow you to pick what you want on top or bottom … the effects or tone patches. My guess is that this lights on the bottom are only red for the tone patches.

Just to clarify re: number of simultaneous FX. You are right that there are only 5 fully flexible FX blocks. However, these exclude the always available Wah, Vol, and FX Loop. On the HD500 these 3 are among the assignable 8. So I think it's more accurate to say that both devices have up to 8 simultaneous FX blocks, but the HD500 has more flexibility with their assignment and routing.

The location of the footswitches has been a bit of an issue for me too. I have several times thought I was turning an FX on/off when in fact I had mistakenly switched presets. Quite confusing, and awkward in a gig situation. You need to be very careful to use the FX switches with the toes/ball of your foot and keep you heel lifted. If your sole is flat you run the risk of switching presets.

Just to clarify re: number of simultaneous FX. You are right that there are only 5 fully flexible FX blocks. However, these exclude the always available Wah, Vol, and FX Loop. On the HD500 these 3 are among the assignable 8. So I think it's more accurate to say that both devices have up to 8 simultaneous FX blocks, but the HD500 has more flexibility with their assignment and routing.

The location of the footswitches has been a bit of an issue for me too. I have several times thought I was turning an FX on/off when in fact I had mistakenly switched presets. Quite confusing, and awkward in a gig situation. You need to be very careful to use the FX switches with the toes/ball of your foot and keep you heel lifted. If your sole is flat you run the risk of switching presets.

Yes I would agree that you have up to 8 blocks, but without a footswitch to assign them to it is a bit limited. What I was getting at mostly is you can only have 5 effect blocks per tone setup .. This being (distortion, mods, delays, reverbs and so on.)

Can anyone explain why the EQ cannot be assigned to a foot switch?? This seems very odd. 

Both the HD500X and the M13 offer alot of different subtle setups for the units. It would be nice if the Firehawk would offer some of the personal set up choices that different players can use. A perfect example would be switching the top and bottom rows of selectors. Also the ability to light the up and down selectors. 

Hopefully some of this will come with future updates like other products. 

Mine will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Looking forward to trying it out finally. The hd500x was just too much of a hassle for me so I think this was made for people like me , but I'm curious to see just how many effects are missing. I used to love my x3 live ...

I have a jtv69 variax so I'm really looking forward to how it matches up. I already downloaded the apps.

I think you will be happy with the interface. It is very simple to use … the best part may be no more bending down to the floor for minor adjustments. Look forward to hearing some of your thoughts once you get it up and running. 

Could you put something under the rear of the unit to act as legs and lift it off the floor a little? This would increase the gradient of the unit as it sits on the floor and make it less likely to accidentally hit the bottom row of switches, raising it an inch should be plenty

I agree about the eq too, would definitely help if you could assign it to a switch

• Upvote 1

I was thinking that my buddy who works in a machine shop could make me some stainless sleeves which would fit over the buttons and elevate them, and possibly add a bit of angle (for separation from the other buttons)- that way you could configure them a bit more to suit your stance.

Something else I noticed today compared to the M13 and HD500X. There is only one folder of 32 banks of 4. 

The M13 and HD500X have different folders with 32 banks each. 

The reason may be is that you can save all your tones to the app and then kick them into the Firehawk try easily. For me a live folder and and studio folder would be great to toggle back and forth. 

Yes,  if there was a utility either on the device or in the cloud could load or dump  full banks, or groups of banks, or even all your patches at once, you could load full set lists, or practice tunes in a matter of a couple of minutes.

I'm sure they said you could do this when they demo'd the Firehawk at namm, I haven't looked into it as I'm still waiting for firehawk to arrive but sure they said you could save full set lists, and that you could save a different set list for different types of gigs or if you play in more than one band

I'm sure they said you could do this when they demo'd the Firehawk at namm, I haven't looked into it as I'm still waiting for firehawk to arrive but sure they said you could save full set lists, and that you could save a different set list for different types of gigs or if you play in more than one band

If its there I can't find it. The best I can do is save all our songs to my tones and then create set lists from there. It is really easy to drag and drop songs onto the unit from the iPad would only take a minuet or so. 

I was thinking that my buddy who works in a machine shop could make me some stainless sleeves which would fit over the buttons and elevate them, and possibly add a bit of angle (for separation from the other buttons)- that way you could configure them a bit more to suit your stance.

Bond that could work for sure. Seems to me this is something they should of noticed in the design faze of the product. I have noticed not he M13 and HD500x and my FBV Short board for that matter there are level changes from the bottom to top selectors. I think the simplest solution would be to have a option where you need to hit the down button to engage the bottom selectors. So if you are playing a song and are switching effects you don't need to worry about hitting a preset. Then when you go to change you tap the down button to unlock the bottom row and then select your A,B,C or D bank. You just make this a option you can choose so if it works for some players great, if not just turn it off. 

• 1 year later...

Have they added any features to turn the banks off?

If I can't figure this out I might have to return it. It's so frustrating!!

And the looper they add is horrid. Too short. I can't even get a full progression of Folsom Prison before it times out. Never mind that you have to hit the volume pedal down to flush the loops. Would have been nice to make assignments to fs switch for stop record play and also a second looper with enough time for a 4 bar progression.

Have they added any features to turn the banks off?

"....

And the looper they add is horrid. ......

What do you mean by turn the banks off? What are you trying to achieve?

And, yes, the looper is not adequate for live performances. It's OK for hands free tone tweaking (pre-position) or for practicing leads over short chord progressions (post-position).

I keep hitting the bank button when hitting a stomp box. .....

There is no feature that allows you to disable the up/down switches on the Firehawk FX.

I presume you mean that your foot unintentionally depresses the bank switches when you are stomping on the adjacent FS1 or A switches? The switch layout is such that there is the same distance between switches Up and FS1 as there is between, say, FS1 and FS2. Do you have the same problem when stomping on FS2, that you accidentally trip FS1?

I'm afraid the solution is to practice your stomping accuracy.

Sorry - I thought you were talking about horizontally adjacent switches, but I see now you are talking about vertically adjacent switches.

This is a common design complaint but at this point the hardware is not going to change. Some people have improved this situation by placing a riser of some sort (e.g. a piece of wood) beneath the back edge of the Firehawk device. This raises the position of the top row switches relative to the bottom row and makes it less likely that you mistakenly depress the bottom row switch while stomping on the top row switch.

Like silverhead stated , raising the back edge of the unit off the floor really helps a lot , by increasing the angle of the unit perpendicular to the floor.

Many of us have replaced the rubber feet at the rear of the firehawk with a deeper/thicker rubber foot from eBay.

You can see if it would work for you by putting a couple of books under the rear end of the firehawk , even raising by just 10mm makes a big difference , I hardly ever catch the wrong pedal now