Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help With Signal Chain

sketterman

Hey Folks,

Preface - Forgive me if I'm in the wrong section!  Also, tried a few searches but couldnt quite find what I was looking for, and the manuals I have don't really explain if what I'm trying to do is possible, so bear with me.

I have a POD HD Bean which is doubling as my PC soundcard/audio interface.  I connect via USB to my PC and record that way into SONAR.  POD's L/R outputs are going to my monitors, and the POD headphone OUT is feeding my regular PC speakers.  I've been doing it for years, no concerns, all is fine.

However...

I recently convinced my wife to let me purchase a Universal Audio LA-610 MK II.  Problem is, I'm not entirely sure how (if at all), I can incorporate it into the signal chain with what I've got.

The LA610 has a HI-Z input on the front, and on the back a balanced XLR LINE input, MIC Input, and a balanced XLR LINE output.  You guys know what the POD has.

I want my signal path to be instrument --> POD --> LA610 --> DAW.  The problem is, since the POD is ALSO my interface, I don't know that I can re-route BACK into the POD from the LA610.  Connecting the LA610 to my PC directly wont work bacause 1, I don't have a legit soundcard (onboard audio), and 2, I'm not even utilizing it anyway because of the POD.  So here is what I am curious if is possible:

Guitar/Bass --> POD [Guitar Input] --> POD Headphone OUT --> LA610 Front panel HI-Z In --> LA610 Balanced Line OUT --> POD MIC XLR IN --> POD USB OUT to PC.

Here is what I *think* is wrong with that setup:

1. I don't think it is possible to route the MIC IN on the POD to the L/R and USB outputs while routing the guitar IN to the headphone OUT.

2. I believe the POD headphone OUT is balanced, and the HI-Z input on the LA610 is unbalanced so I don't think that is workable?

3. *IF* number 1 above IS possible, I can possibly reroute the POD headphone OUT to the balanced XLR LINE IN on the back of the 610.

For those who are savvy with this stuff, how much difference would it make to place the LA610 BEFORE the POD in the signal path?  I don't think that is really how it's intended to work though, and I know the path itself has a huge impact on the tone.  I'd really prefer to go POD first, then LA610.  

If what I'm trying to do isnt possible, would I need some sort of alternative interface?  Like a cheap Focusrite scarlett or similar, which would act as my interface, and so I could then go Instrument --> POD --> LA610 --> [interface] --> PC?  Would that be correct?

Any help you guys can provide is GREATLY appreciated!

Shaun

• Upvote 1

Nice!! Sweet preamp.. Seems like you would want to run the UA in front of the POD? Maybe even make some recording patches so you can capture the 'dry' signal of just the UA to the left side, and the processed POD signal to the right?

POD sends stereo to the recording, but you can treat it like a dual-mono situation.

I would drop the $100 to get a dedicated audio interface - like the Focusrite Scarlett or Presonus Audiobox. The LA610 MKII is going to give you the most sonic benefit by going balanced out thru it into your DAW:

Instrument -->POD [bALANCED OUT]--> LA610 [MIC IN] --> Interface [LINE IN] --> DAW

The XLR outs of the POD are MIC level (which I find a bit odd and would expect them to be LINE level), so you need to go MIC in on the LA610

• Upvote 1

clement,

Right now I've got decent results:

Instrument -->POD [guitar in] --> POD Out [headphone] to LA610 [HI-Z IN] --> 610 Out [balanced LINE] to Sapphire 2i2 --> Out to DAW

I'm using a TRS cable to connect the POD's headphone out to the 610's HI-Z.  I know the HI-Z is unbalanced (as is the headphone out on the POD), but I've learned the the PODs headphone out should use TRS.  I don't have any hiss/hum/static/etc with this signal chain, and so far it's given great results.  Do you see any room for improvement there?  I'm always open to suggestions.  Thanks!

I would drop the $100 to get a dedicated audio interface - like the Focusrite Scarlett or Presonus Audiobox. The LA610 MKII is going to give you the most sonic benefit by going balanced out thru it into your DAW:

Instrument -->POD [bALANCED OUT]--> LA610 [MIC IN] --> Interface [LINE IN] --> DAW

The XLR outs of the POD are MIC level (which I find a bit odd and would expect them to be LINE level), so you need to go MIC in on the LA610

I'm with you. He's got a $1500 pre, an audio interface is a must here. 

I'm using a TRS cable to connect the POD's headphone out to the 610's HI-Z.  I know the HI-Z is unbalanced (as is the headphone out on the POD), but I've learned the the PODs headphone out should use TRS.  I don't have any hiss/hum/static/etc with this signal chain, and so far it's given great results.  Do you see any room for improvement there?  I'm always open to suggestions.  Thanks!

The headphone out is TRS (TIP, RING, SLEEVE for those of you playing the home game) because it's a stereo output. The HiZ in on the 610 is mono... so you aren't really gaining anything there. I would still drop the TRS cable in favor of going balanced out of the POD into the LA610. That's going to get you the best signal all the way thru to your DAW. The LA610 is a pretty major Mic Pre with a nice LA2A style compressor to boot... you should feed it the best you can.