Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT50 question

Zhorell

Looking to buy DT50 112 combo a couple of novice questions; Is the latest firmware pre-installed?

Could you replace any of the Topology (Fender clean, Marshall crunch, AC boost, Mesa hi-gain) with another Amp model from HD500X?

The 112 combo is on sale right now at Guitar center and I'm really interested  on getting one (perfect fit for my HD500X) before the sale ends.. 

Thanks in-advanced!  

cant say for certain if the latest firmware is installed.... but considering you're interested in changing the default topology amps... you'll need a midi interface anyway... so updating it isnt too hard.

and Yes you can change to any of the default hd500x amps... (NONE of the new model pack amps)

cant say for certain if the latest firmware is installed.... but considering you're interested in changing the default topology amps... you'll need a midi interface anyway... so updating it isnt too hard.

and Yes you can change to any of the default hd500x amps... (NONE of the new model pack amps)

Thanks for the reply, is there a sticky (for novice :P) on how to swap topology with  Amp models via HD500X ?

could this be done without updating the firmware first?

not really... its actually quite complicated to do on your own....

but some users have created apps that make it quite simple!

http://line6.com/support/topic/124-user-created-dt-editors/

basically hook up the midi and run the app... select the options you want and they are sticky...

so it will always recall whatever changes you make.

its dirt simple... connect to midi launch app.....

a page with a bunch of buttons that has choices on it....

select channel and topology on the amp...

push the buttons til you dial in what you want....

then change topology or channel... rinse and repeat.

the apps are all 3rd party... so much depends on what app you use....

this ones not buttons... but here's a screenshot you get the idea

screen3.jpg

Thanks for the reply, is there a sticky (for novice :P) on how to swap topology with  Amp models via HD500X ?

could this be done without updating the firmware first?

I dunno, maybe I'm misunderstanding the question(s) and answers, but if I'm not...

Why would you mess around with MIDI to control the amp when you've got a pod HD?  The big deal with FW 2.x in the DT was to allow MIDI control so that guitarists who don't have HD pods can still get all the amp models, but it's WAY easier to get there if you already have an HD pod, which you do!  

All you have to do is connect the two via a mic cable and away you go!  It's best if the mic cable is the special kind, with an impedance rating for digital data (sorry that the terminology escapes me at the moment), but a regular mic cable works just fine in most environments, especially if it's not too long.

Once you connect HD to DT, the pod takes over.  It switches automatically from studio direct to combo amp mode.  Whenever you select an amp in the HD, the DT automatically switches its topology to match, and the amp's topology is recalled when you recall the patch.  You can see the settings change on the face of the amp when you kick in different patches on the pod.  

You'll want to run the pre-amps and not the full amps in your patches.  

The firmware update doesn't really do a whole lot (besides allowing MIDI).  It does give the amp more memory so that if you aren't using the pod it remembers more of the topology settings.  Not a big whoop in my book.  With the HD pod, at least for me, the update didn't change anything meaningful, so my opinion is that even if you don't have MIDI capabilities (which are necessary to perform an update should the amp have an earlier FW version), you can still get 100% out of the DT.

the midi adjustments change how the amp is used standalone....

i agree if you're using a pod it's not very useful....

and of course... there's always "because i can!"

Why would you mess around with MIDI to control the amp when you've got a pod HD? 

I believe the MIDI adjustments also change what the HD selects as reverb, mic model for XLR out, and power amp config when picking Type I-IV, which are just program slots in the DT.

While I have not checked whether the MIDI driven configuration in the DT acts like the power amp driven selection in the HD, I suspect it does. If true, the amp model selected in the DT may have impact on amplification level and possibly tone associated with specific amps rather than just their feedback loop configuration. I am attaching a PDF that explains how to get this effect with an HD using path A and B. I think if the DT is MIDI configured the same might be working with just a single amp/path HD tone and a DT configured for specific amps in program slots I-IV.

I have to say though that these subtleties may not be worth the trouble you have to go through to check and use them.

Good luck and let me know if my guessing does not make sense,

Martin

Why would you mess around with MIDI to control the amp when you've got a pod HD?

Here's my take on that; I bought a used DT25 head and cab with the intention of letting my buddy who plays guitar in my band use it when we play live. He uses analog pedalboard type rig, no POD. I have a DT25 combo, using the L6Link POD route.

For his rig, looking for a decent dual latching footswitch, so he can use the A and B as a two channel amp.

Now, we were thinking it would be cool to load up four amps on typology I-IV on the A side, and four different amps on typology I-IV on the B side. Kinda, A is rhythm and clean, B is lead boost, etc.

He would have to manually toggle the typolgy settings between tunes, but definitely some cool options for reconfiguring it in standalone mode for pedalboard use, when not linked to a POD.

And, you can switch up the reverbs, so that is cool too.

Looking to buy DT50 112 combo a couple of novice questions; Is the latest firmware pre-installed?

Could you replace any of the Topology (Fender clean, Marshall crunch, AC boost, Mesa hi-gain) with another Amp model from HD500X?

The 112 combo is on sale right now at Guitar center and I'm really interested on getting one (perfect fit for my HD500X) before the sale ends..

Thanks in-advanced!

Here's how to think about it, if you will use it L6linked with the HD500x, you don't even need to update the DT firmware, the 500x does the amps and tells the DT which typology to pair, per how you program the presets.

In standalone, sans POD 500x, then you use MIDI to reconfigure the DT

its dirt simple... connect to midi launch app.....

a page with a bunch of buttons that has choices on it....

select channel and topology on the amp...

push the buttons til you dial in what you want....

then change topology or channel... rinse and repeat.

the apps are all 3rd party... so much depends on what app you use....

this ones not buttons... but here's a screenshot you get the idea

screen3.jpg

This is freeware by one of the forum members who's also a software engineer, correct?  He did such a fine job I'm almost tempted to ditch my HD.  Almost.  

What are the PIV HI/LOW and TIGHT/SMOOTH switches?  I don't recall those being on my DT50...

• 3 weeks later...

I like the simplicity of using the Amp by itself, 2 channels and not relying on the HD500X.. Not digging  British Crunch and Chime topology.. I was hoping to replace them with some other HD amp models but App works only with IOS not available for Android? 

What are the PIV HI/LOW and TIGHT/SMOOTH switches?  I don't recall those being on my DT50...

According to a post by RPascarella on this forum, the DT50 uses a Long-Tailed Pair version of the Phase Inverter Voltage (PIV). 

According to Billy Penn:

"Of all the circuits in a tube amplifier, the Phase Inverter, also known is the Phase Splitter, is the most difficult to understand by even some experienced techs. Its function is relatively simple: take a signal input, and create two outputs, one that is identical (e.g. in-phase) to the original, and another that is a mirror-image (phase-inverted or flipped phase)."

The rest of this article can be read at http://www.300guitars.com/articles/article-demystifying-the-phase-inverter/

I can't find anything definitive on the TIGHT/SMOOTH switches and how they work but judging from experimenting yesterday I'm guessing it changes your tone from punchy and aggressive to soft and smooth. This is what I found yesterday but it was not really pronounced at relatively low volumes, at least with the amps I was tinkering with. This is one thing I would like to experiment with on the DT50 and DTEditOSX this weekend. 

• Upvote 1

it takes more than an app...

you have to connect via midi...

the apps are third party and not officially supported...

but there are also windows and mac versions.

I like the simplicity of using the Amp by itself, 2 channels and not relying on the HD500X.. Not digging  British Crunch and Chime topology.. I was hoping to replace them with some other HD amp models but App works only with IOS not available for Android?