Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to Variax -- Asking for Advice on an A-B Box.

This is my first post. Last week I received a new JTV-59 from Sweetwater, and I am enjoying it very much.

Anyway, I have been lurking for awhile and I see that there are some nice people providing some great information. I could use a little help.

I am interested in using an A-B box to split my signal... electric guitar models to my amp, or acoustic models to the PA.

I saw the "Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit", which will work, but I use a wireless for my guitar, so that kit seems like it is too much for my needs.

The HD500 would also work, and I just tried it out and liked it very much, but I absolutely love my current modeling amp and effects and will not be changing anytime soon.

Ideally, I'd like an A-B box that has a 1/4" out, and an XLR out. It looks like Line 6 used to make one, called a "Variax A/B Swirch". But is no longer available.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-variax-a-b-switch

Are there any A-B boxes that have both 1/4" and XLR outs? If not will using a A-B box with dual 1/4" outs work? What is the difference between using an acoustic model with XLR out verses 1/4" out?

You don't need to use XLR unless your PA requires it.  You can use any AB and use a DI box that converts 1/4 inch to XLR.  You are stuck using batteries if you are using wireless.  The Line 6 A/B box that used to come with the old Variax did have XLR and 1/4 out and it powered the Variax through a stereo TRS cable.  You might be able to find one of these on Ebay.  You would not be able to use it to power the Variax but it would still work as an A/B.  By the way, I think you are smart to do what you are doing!  The acoustic models sound great through a PA and not so good through a guitar amp.

• 5 months later...

So Charlie - I started a thread a couple weeks ago regarding frying my JTV 69 twice to which you replied that I should use a VDI and not a TRS. This thread got me thinking. I am using the XPS-AB with a TRS cable. Do you think it would be safe to use the XPS-AB with a mono 1/4? And power the guitar using the battery? Powering the Variax through thr TRS is a bonus but I can live without it.

If you use a Mono cable, you don't want to power the XPS box!  If you are using the XPS for a reason, use the power and the TRS cable.  Otherwise, don't bother with the XPS and just go right into your amp with a 1/4 inch cable and use the battery for power.  The optimum solution is the VDI but you need to have a pod for that and I assume that you don't own one.

When I first got my JTV-59, I connected it to a Morley ABY switch.
The switch has 1/4" outputs, one went to my amp, the other went directly to the PA mixing desk - it worked very well.
(the desk inputs are xlr, so I used a 1/4"/xlr cable from switch to desk).

However, to 'beef up' the acoustic sounds from the JTV-59 I have now inserted a Palmer DI box between the ABY switch and the PA.
Now I can lower the gain on the mixing desk channel which makes the acoustic sounds better to my ears - but apart from that, the JTV-59 works very nicely hooked up directly to the PA.

I use 6- and 12-string acoustic guitar sounds as well as resonator and sitar sounds.
Sometimes electric guitar through my amp, sometimes acoustic guitar through the PA

- and sometimes even acoustic 12-string both at the same time (the ABY switch allows me to do that).
Great variety in sounds ;-)

Hope my comments are useful.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the cabled power kit and I am suspect that it may have damaged my JTV69. I don't plan on using it anytime soon until I confirm. I have since bought the Firehawk FX and will use the VDI to power the Variax. My advice is to put the $100 toward something compatible like the Firehawk or HD500. It's not worth the risk. Or go with the ABY. I have a Morley as well and it works great. Anyone interested in a practically new cabled power kit...

Why not use the official Line-6 XPS Variax A/B switch / Power adapter and a quality 1/4" TRS cable to the Variax ( these works with all generations of variax

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VariaxPwrKit?adpos=1o1&creative=54989263441&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkqKxBRCIrK_riNm13Z8BEiQAdzdVkEO9bMDYGbzPlEDa9kG-d1jb2GXmNus6SYEB155k_m0aAqRA8P8HAQ

1445549658_929300443_line6_XPS.PNG

I love this kit conceptually, however, I've blown 2 sets of input and main boards since I started using it. I'd like to hear it from Line 6 that the kit is compatible with all Variax guitars. In fairness the jury is still out on why they're blowing. I am now using the VDI to power the Variax so if it happens again I can rule out the cabled power kit. Stay tuned...

Yeah I know that the XPS was designed for the older VAX and VAC models (which I Still Have) but I would not use it to power a JTV as Bogieman has discovered.  I also have had great success in the past with the Morley AB switch (Primarily used with a Parker Nitefly) but now run everything through an HD500X and now a HELIX straight to the board