Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd400 Output Mode Tone Issues

paengcalma

Hi,

I got my HD400 2 weeks ago. I have been using and tweaking patches on STUDIO output mode since then and I use headphones for monitoring. I have tried recording and I am very satisfied with it. I tried plugging it in an amp today. As per the manual, I should be using the LIVE output mode. I connect a cable from the POD's 1/4" out to the amplifier;s input. Everytime I switch to LIVE (or even DUAL) the tone just goes really off. All the tone's body and character are gone. And it sounds dry and treblish. I tried ComboFrt, ComboAmp from setup.

I read some of these types of problems in forums but I can't get to find the right answers.

Question:

Is there a fix for this?

Should I be using the XLR out instead of the 1/4" out?

Should I be tweaking tones in LIVE mode instead of STUDIO?

Is there anything wrong with my POD having these issues?

Help please!

Thanks!

I don't think there is anything wrong with your device. There is a significant difference between Studio and Live modes. Switching to Live mode removes the mic/cab modeling from your tone. The actual amp you are connecting to will provide these tonal characteristics, and they will almost certainly be very different from the simulated tonality that was removed. The quality and characteristics of the amp you are using will have a lot to do with the tone you hear.

Yes - if you plan to use an amp in Live mode.you should be tweaking your tones in Live mode using that amp, and at the volume you will be using when playing live. Some players maintain different Setlists depending on whether they will be connecting directly to the PA or to an amp.

Would there be any problem using the POD in STUDIO mode while playing through an amp? Would it be bad in some way for the POD?

Nope, no problem. Just do whatever you think sounds best.

It certainly wouldn't damage the Pod in any way. The sound, however, will be quite different from what you would hear with the Pod connected directly to a PA system or a PC for recording - and probably not in a good way. That's because you are essentially using two amplifiers - the modeled amp/cab/mic from the HD500 as well as your physical amp/cab. The Pod's Live mode is designed to address this redundancy.