Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I'm gonna buy a HD500 tomorrow "Does it have spillover" in the delays and Rev?

theweirdguy

hello my first post here .. Hello to everyone... 

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a HD500X 

I prefer to use the footswitch with set to different pre programmed patches (not the individual turning on/off of individual effects)

Okay here is the important question for me...-->

"Lets say I have a patch that features a solo tone with a panning stereo ping pong delay.. I play the last high note of the solo and then press the foot pedal controller button for the next patch which is a clean sound going back to the songs verses etc...   DOES THAT LAST PING PONG DELAY HIGH NOTE CUT OFF WHEN I PRESS A NEW PATCH???  or does it decay naturally over the new patch played?

Please let me know ... this is important for me.. we are a trio of guitar bass and drums and do a lot of hotel gigs and use no keyboards... so the spillover ability of a multi effects processor is important for our sound...

Whats the scoop please share your experience with me..

thank you in advance for your assistance..

Thanks for the quick reply brother ..

wow that really sucks.. you would think that the flagship of line 6 would have that modern  feature :(

Can anyone suggest another signal processor that has the spillover feature?

Is there a way to upgrade the HD500X to so that?

Maybe I need to buy a 20 year old Digitech? 

Like Zap said, no.  You can't upgrade a unit to add that either.  Like any other processor, it's more seamless if you're not always changing patches, but rather working in the patch/preset....then you can instant access turn on and off delay and it will trail off that way, while in the same preset.  

If you have the time and inclination you can read this thread where Digital Igloo goes into a lot of detail as to why this isn't in the HD500X:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1548676&highlight=spillover

To me the OP in that thread comes off as a bit whiny and mad that reality doesn't fit his needs better :)

I understand where you're coming from and you may could come up with a work around on the HD.  

You could for example have Path A be your clean sound and Path B your solo sound.  You could assign everything in each path to a foot switch so that it would toggle between path A and B.  I think in this scenario it would work as you need it to.  

Or if you used the same amp model for clean and dirty you can change any number of parameters with one foot switch so you could essentially create 2 "scenes" with the same preset and turn on/off drives and delay's too with that footswitch.  

There are several amps on there that make for great clean sounds and with the drive cranked and a distortion pedal in front of it make great lead tones as well.  I pretty much only use the Dr Z amp model at this point and cover all the bases I need. 

Maybe not the ideal solution though.  

I'm not aware of another mid level modeller that will do spillovers.  Except the Digitech GSP1101.  

Even if you get into Axe FX territory I think that you have to use scenes instead of presets if you want to have spillover.  

Changing presets and having spillover, as mentioned above, takes a lot of DSP.  It seems like companies are devoting all available power to the detail of the amp/effect modelling.  I think overall this is a good thing.  

Or if you used the same amp model for clean and dirty you can change any number of parameters with one foot switch so you could essentially create 2 "scenes" with the same preset and turn on/off drives and delay's too with that footswitch.

Can you do this at the moment? I'd love to be able to map parameter values to footswitches, but I've never found a way to do that; only on/off or using the expression pedals to alter values.

Can you do this at the moment? I'd love to be able to map parameter values to footswitches, but I've never found a way to do that; only on/off or using the expression pedals to alter values.

you can assign multiple effects to the same foot switch but only to turn ON and OFF.  However, you can assign up to 50 different parameters to each expression pedal across multiple amp and effects blocks to effectively change "scenes".  JTV owners can also assign up to 50 parameters each to the volume and tone knobs on their guitars giving a wide range of completely different combinations of amp and effects within the same patch.  You can use the MIX parameter to effectively turn effects ON and OFF without using a foot switch.

you can assign multiple effects to the same foot switch but only to turn ON and OFF.  However, you can assign up to 50 different parameters to each expression pedal across multiple amp and effects blocks to effectively change "scenes".  JTV owners can also assign up to 50 parameters each to the volume and tone knobs on their guitars giving a wide range of completely different combinations of amp and effects within the same patch.  You can use the MIX parameter to effectively turn effects ON and OFF without using a foot switch.

I misspoke.  For some reason I was thinking you could assign parameters to the footswitch, but it is just the expression pedal and Variax knobs.  Duh!  

I did know that, just had one of those moments :)

Contrary to what some have said, the POD HDs can do this if you get creative with your patches and it's exactly what I used to do.....

I used to use dual amp patches. I'd start off with a noise gate, then a wah, then split the path. Path A would have a volume pedal, an amp and a delay, Path B would have a different amp and delay. Then after the mixer I'd put an EQ and reverb.

I'd have the volume pedal and Amp B set to be turned on/off from footswitch 2. I was using my original HD500 with a DT25 so could get away using preamp only amp models to save CPU power but you can't turn off Amp A without affecting the DT amp, so the volume pedal was set to put the volume to zero on path A, effectively muting it. Set the bypass volume on Amp B to zero and you're good.

Spillover worked perfectly but I would frequently run into CPU limits if I wasn't careful.

yes you can do it all within a single patch.... but not from one patch to the next,....

as i said though... the potential to eat up your DSP makes it kind of limiting... but still possible.

you can have one footswitch turn off one amp and delay or whatnot while turning on another and a screamer or whatever....

as long as all the components will fit within the dsp limits of a single patch

This is an interesting feature. If it was possible to have included it in the POD HD series without sacrificing the realism of the amp and effect sims I am sure it would have been.

If it was a choice between Spillover or the realism of the amp and effect sims, Line 6 made the right choice.

However, I can see the potential for this feature and would be surprised if it wasn't included in the next iteration of the POD HD series.