Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Studio UX2 - Multiple devices in Windows?

Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying a POD Studio UX2.

In Windows, does it show as separate devices for each input / output?

What I want to achieve is to have a Microphone into channel A, this will be fed into my DAW for EQ & Compression.

I'd then route the processed output from my DAW to be the output of channel A, I'd patch Channel A out with a cable to Channel B in on the UX2.

And I'd like to have the output of channel B as the sound source for a video capture application.

The main thing I need is to be able to have each channel available as a separate device in Windows so I can do the routing I need. i.e. my DAW will grab channel A, my video capture application will grab channel B.

Thanks - Rich

Not sure if it will work the way your are describing, when using the UX as an ASIO device your DAW will likely take precedence, although I haven't tried.

If it doesn't work, taking audio tracks from your DAW and porting them over to another software after the fact should be trivial.

Thanks guys.

It's a slightly tricksy setup I need in that I want to do realtime processing of the mic signal straight into my video capture software. So that means I need all the audio channels to be separate devices (by devices I mean separate software devices - they appear in Windows device manager as separate sound devices).

At the moment I use the following setup:

Condenser mic -> Roland UA-4FX INPUT -> USB -> FL Studio DAW -> Roland UA-4FX OUTPUT -> Physical Patch Cable -> Line 6 TonePort GX INPUT -> Screen Capture Software using TonePort GX as its sound source.

So if the UX appears as a single device and gets "hogged" by the DAW I don't think my scenario will work. At least not using a single bit of kit, I'd probably need the UX as an input device, and route its output to another physically separate audio device such as the Roland UA-4FX.

If I get a UX, does the UX2 offer any advantages over the UX1 in terms of sound quality?

If you are using the Roland via USB into your DAW, there will be no using the UX.

With ASIO, you can only have one audio device.

What I'm not certain of is if you can run the UX, but not as the ASIO device in your DAW, and run the UX analog outs to the Roland.

In terms of sound quality, the UX and UX2 are the same, but the UX2 has Phantom Power and a PAD input.

Presumably though I could use the UX2 into the DAW using ASIO, route the output of the DAW to an analogue output on the UX2, and then physically patch the UX2 output into the Roland. The Roland would just use Windows drivers and appear as an input to my video capture software. I reckon that ought to work.

What is the PAD input? I've heard people mention it with respect to clipping on guitar signals. I would also want to connect a guitar to the UX2 as part of another project, would the PAD input help with that to reduce guitar clipping?

Thanks

You might have USB conflicts, but you can try.

PAD is a passive attenuator.

Usually you don't need to use that input unless your signal is too hot coming in.

This can happen with really hot pickups, usually active, or if you have a stomp in front of the UX that boosts the signal.

Just out of curiosity, why is it critical to capture the audio in real-time?

I have a software company that produces small business software. We need to record a series of tutorial videos for the software and our main requirement is that the video creation pipeline is as short as possible.

What I want to avoid is recording a Mic source straight into the video capture software, and then having to go through and post process it and tweak it.

The aim is to have the mic EQ'd, Compressed, De-essed etc... before it reaches the video capture software so that it can be used as-is in order to reduce the amount of editing that needs to be done.

I have this working at the moment with the TonePort GX and Roland UA-FX4, but am looking to upgrade the Toneport as it's a bit basic.