Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Phantom power to direct out?

innovine

I've got my dt25 connected from its direct out to a mic preamp. Working fine, but I'm looking at that little phantom power button now and then in a suspicious way. Anyone knows what happens if you apply phantom power across the direct out?

good question! in theory, it should ignore it.., but I have the same concern., on my mixer it sets up the phantom power across XLR inputs 1-6, independent from 7-12, so I make sure the mics that need phantom power are not in the same group as any of the direct signals, coming from the DT25's and the bass DI

I've got my dt25 connected from its direct out to a mic preamp. Working fine, but I'm looking at that little phantom power button now and then in a suspicious way. Anyone knows what happens if you apply phantom power across the direct out?

Nothing happens. The phantom power voltage is applied to pins 2 and 3 in an XLR connection and it's +48V in reference to pin 1, the ground. Things like dynamic mics and other XLR connection that don't require phantom power have no electrical connection between the ground and the other pins, so the voltage is simply not seen.

• Upvote 2

Nothing happens. The phantom power voltage is applied to pins 2 and 3 in an XLR connection and it's +48V in reference to pin 1, the ground. Things like dynamic mics and other XLR connection that don't require phantom power have no electrical connection between the ground and the other pins, so the voltage is simply not seen.

I forgot to turn of the phantom power once with my POD HD and nothing happened.  But they say don't do this with your ribbon mics.

Hey innovine,

How's the noise in your DT25 lately?  I played a DT25-112 last week and thought the noise floor was totally fine.  I started another thread on the topic, which today is like #6 from the top or so.  I also checked out a Spider valve and Blackstar HD40?, and those were fine too.  I have yet to find any amp with anything like the noise I've got, but I've also yet to find another DT50 for comparision purposes.  I'm working on a theory that only some amps have this huge noise problem, however, data is so limited!