Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Custom Jtv 59 With Bigsby B7

It's holding up great. I love it. You might notice that I first tried a GFS tremolo, before I went with the B7. The one I tried was the shorter floating one. If you use the GFS trem, you need to use the one that screws down, the longer one. I don't know the measurements of the longer one, but it doesn't look like it would lend itself to being cut down if it's too long. GFS has a good return policy, so you won't be out much if you try it.

If you do, post your story here so we can all see how it goes.

Jon

For JTV-59 - I only recommend a modified Bigsby B7 

1) Grind off the mounting ear on the upper right ( yellow)

1432224486_1553276794_Bigsby_B7_1.PNG

2)  Drill a new countersink mounting screw hole in the B7 aluminum casting, under the center of the Bigsby's large Tremolo Spring

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys

on their website they have the length of the long version as 7 3/8" long including handle.

Our guitars are 6 3/8" from the back of the guitar to the bridge.

I emailed them to see if they knew the distance from the end to the roller bar so we will see if I end up with that or the Bigsby or nothing (im not sure Im qualified to do even the little work to mod the B7 honestly).

Has anyone had experience with the Xtrem or Guitar Fetish?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I'm interested in doing this.
Is there a reason to choose a B7 over a B5 Bigsby?
Thanks,

Needed an upgrade
====================
Bigsby B7 Vibrato.
Neck Pickup: Gibson Burstbucker Pro Neck Humbucker IM59A-NH 
Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan SH 11 Custom Custom.
Schaller Locking Guitar Machines.
Big Bends Nut Sauce.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, jefflynyrd said:

Did you have any thoughts about the screws going through body and into any of the electronics?

Sorry, I kept meaning to take some measurements and pictures, and finally got around to it today. Here are some measurements for you.

The screws for the Bigsby B7 are approximately 5 3/8" from the bottom of the guitar, and a little less than 4 3/4" from the side.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPc5DnorI09JV9iyyVpEgp2t3x8-NtRbz2gEk-p/photo/AF1QipO1cK-w5f5IBgxrg_OAsV8q9VYnDrDoX37Dj9FC

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPc5DnorI09JV9iyyVpEgp2t3x8-NtRbz2gEk-p/photo/AF1QipOmLWEbpIM8DxIAIkE2l_OH_l3H5y548A5IUcjb

There are three routes in the back of the guitar. The solid part of the guitar (unrouted) is perfectly under neath the area where the screws are.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPc5DnorI09JV9iyyVpEgp2t3x8-NtRbz2gEk-p/photo/AF1QipOxnRAmQmKcGextijkvle5qziUr4ZpLV4rE3GIm

There are "channels" running between the battery compartment and the outer routes (for the board and for the knobs), connecting the three routes. The wire harness runs through the channels. The "north" end of the channel is only 4.5" from the bottom of the guitar (compared with the screw which is 5 3/8" from the bottom of the guitar).

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPc5DnorI09JV9iyyVpEgp2t3x8-NtRbz2gEk-p/photo/AF1QipNEL4B0LvfB-w5w6d7VZEL-LgnNTZqZrRayQfhY

From these measurements, I can tell you that the two Bigsby B7 screws do not enter the routes, and they do not touch any wires. I am convinced they are into solid wood.

" Did you have any thoughts about the screws going through body and into any of the electronics? "---

Yes,... watch out for the battery box. So don't use too long of a screw or it might go through into the

battery compartment. Have seen that happen twice, and in one of those cases penetrated the battery.

So be careful.

18 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

" Did you have any thoughts about the screws going through body and into any of the electronics? "---

Yes,... watch out for the battery box. So don't use too long of a screw or it might go through into the

battery compartment. Have seen that happen twice, and in one of those cases penetrated the battery.

So be careful.

Do you remember what type of vibrato was being used in those cases?